XPEnology Community

Trying to wrap my mind around this. Please critique me

rca420

I'm new to this testing and it's amazingly fun! I've been reading posts after posts and I think I have an idea of what's going on, but please let me know if I'm wrong.

Building the custom .pat file can be learned via the kernel wiki page. But I don't see a page on how to build the synoboot (bootloader image) file. How do I build my own without having to rely on someone to build it.

I have a HP N40L btw. I know there are pre-made files available, but I'd like to do mine from scratch to get a feel for it. :grin:

I hope you pros can help me out. Thanks

P.S. What's the deal with upgrading from 4.1 to say 4.2? Will I lose all my data and redo the whole thing or is it a simple upgrade? How have you guys/gals upgraded from 4.1 to 4.2? Thanks again

Hello,

To make the boot file, personally, I take an existing one and then I replace the files in it by the ones I created before (for the Pat file). (so I take the kernel file, the grub file with the checksum and the syno checksum file.

For the upgrade 4.1 --> 4.2 I can't help you I have no idea about it. Normally you can put the new img file as first boot drive instead of the old one (DSM4.1) and when you boot the syno and go to the IP address (DS Assistant can help) you will have a web site to do the upgrade instead of the login page. There you can choose the new pat and the upgrade will be done. I haven't tested it with data so I can't say if the data will stay or not.

Marc

Marc, thank you! Makes perfect sense about replacing the files inside the img. Why I never thought about it.. I don't know. :smile: Thank you.

BTW, what tools do you use to edit the bootloader img file?

I'll try the manual update from 4.1 to 4.2 and report back when I do it.

Hello,

Here is what I did :

I am working with Hyper-v and I have converted an existing img file to vhd. After that I mount the vhd with another linux (the Ubuntu that I used to make a new kernel) and I do the copy normally (with sudo cp when I don't have the rights because some files are protected).

To see the checksum for grub, I simply boot normally and Grub complains about a checksum error (I do a print screen) and Grub says what ckecksum it expects to see so I modify it in the file (to be the same as the one in my print screen.

The only problem I have at the moment is that when I put 2 HDD (the img loader file and a data vhd), xpenology sees 4 HDD when I compile the kernel myself. That is why I don't use my image but another one for Hyper-v.

Marc