XPEnology Community

Locked Out on password change

psionguy

Question

Received an email regarding security issue and took advise to implement additional security including changing my password, now I am not able to login. I know the password is correct, so I assume I am in trouble.

Is there any way out or will I have to start again and do a complete re-build?

Any

2 часа назад, psionguy сказал:

Is there any way out or will I have to start again and do a complete re-build?

Try to login from another computer or change ip.

2 минуты назад, psionguy сказал:

OK, I have done some research and have installed Putty, but unable to connect to the server. Have tried both host name and IP + port number 5000. but no joy, what am I doing wrong?

Default SSH port is 23, telnet is 22. Did you enable acsess to ssh/telnet in CP?

Скрытый текст

594720020_.png.303336accd7ed68071b4d958973364b6.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

You only changed your password or added additional security features?

8 minutes ago, Olegin said:

Default SSH port is 23, telnet is 22. Did you enable acsess to ssh/telnet in CP?

Reveal hidden contents

10 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

You only changed your password or added additional security features?

Password and added some additional security, firewall and protection from too many logons.

14 minutes ago, Olegin said:

Reveal hidden contents

Putty and gave me an option to add to my reg, but I have not setup in XPEnology, what is CP?

4 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

You need to tell us precisely what additional security features you added

Added firewall, and there was an option to restict too many logons from unknown IP's, also added a block  for 5 days on wrong password, so assume I have blocked myself.

10 minutes ago, psionguy said:

if I can get a connection what do I need to do?

You can try to log in from another PC through the GUI not through putty. The purpose is that since the IP you used initially is probably blocked you need to try to connect from another IP.

29 minutes ago, psionguy said:

Added firewall, and there was an option to restict too many logons from unknown IP's, also added a block  for 5 days on wrong password, so assume I have blocked myself.

5 days block is too much in my opinion. Set it like this or similar:

Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 18.48.06.jpg

This feature is basically aimed at bots that would try to brute force your credentials. You should not be too restrictive else it's the users that will suffer in case of block. Usually when a bot is prevented to continue attacking (blocked) it will stop and will move to the next target so no point in locking things too long or too tight.

45 minutes ago, psionguy said:

I will try and log on from another pc, if I can get a connection what do I need to do?

45 minutes ago, psionguy said:

I will try and log on from another pc, if I can get a connection what do I need to do?

Have tried a different PC and get the same result, connection refused.  Putty using port 23, have tried with host name and IP address

29 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

You can try to log in from another PC through the GUI not through putty. The purpose is that since the IP you used initially is probably blocked you need to try to connect from another IP.

5 days block is too much in my opinion. Set it like this or similar:

Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 18.48.06.jpg

This feature is basically aimed at bots that would try to brute force your credentials. You should not be too restrictive else it's the users that will suffer in case of block. Usually when a bot is prevented to continue attacking (blocked) it will stop and will move to the next target so no point in locking things too long or too tight.

Agree, if I can get back on I will amend, makes sense.

5 minutes ago, psionguy said:

Have tried a different PC and get the same result, connection refused.  Putty using port 23, have tried with host name and IP address

Have also tried to logon on to my network on a different PC, and tried both my old password and the new one, and it rejects them both. Looks like my options are running out.

11 minutes ago, psionguy said:

Agree, if I can get back on I will amend, makes sense.

Have also tried to logon on to my network on a different PC, and tried both my old password and the new one, and it rejects them both. Looks like my options are running out.

Just logged on using my phone using the music app, and it worked with my new password, but why not my other pc

12 minutes ago, psionguy said:

And it was only the DS audio app that worked, not the DS cam or DS File. So strange.

So have now tried to logon my other pc, my mobile phone and android tablet and all state wrong account or password, only my phone using DS music app works.