XPEnology Community

Annoying BIOS reset issue is really bugging me!!!

We edit the kernel sources instead of patching the synobios.ko file.

But the result is the same : It solve the BIOS reset issue but it breaks the power on/off schedule.

Thank You Trantor :grin:. At least we nailed this annoying problem and users from the

forum can use their own choice of motherboard without problem. :grin:

But from my side of testing scheduled power off works fine, but not scheduled power on. :eek:

• 1 month later...
This is a disk image of my pen drive (512MB SD card). Plz try if it works or not: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwkmhb ... sp=sharing

This file is created by:

1. Download Synoboot: https://github.com/Jman420/nanoBoot-DSM ... 3612xs.img

2. Write the file to pen drive.

3. Expand the partition and filesystem to ~100MB. Expansion of ext filesystem is way easier than FAT, and that is one of the reasons why I choose Synoboot.

4. Replace zImage with *ORIGINAL* XPEnology 5.6-5644.5 one.

5. Compress modified ramdisk (with synobios.ko hax) with gzip as rd.gz

6. Add initrd parameter in /boot/grub/grub.conf.

7. dd if=/dev/sdX of=img

updateing I could not get 5644 to boot before using your version, I believe my issue was bzimage instead of zimage (it simply would never load). Anyway now that I got it booted I cant get the pat file to install. It just sits at 0%

Here is what I have tried.

1. Removed hard drives and blanked them out with no partitions.

2. Tried a different set of hard drives

3. Disabled all hard drives but 2.

Nothing allows the pat install to get past 0%. Any ideas? Previous version I could get to boot was 5565.2, no other version after that booted for me till I found your 5644.5

This is a disk image of my pen drive (512MB SD card). Plz try if it works or not: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwkmhb ... sp=sharing

This file is created by:

1. Download Synoboot: https://github.com/Jman420/nanoBoot-DSM ... 3612xs.img

2. Write the file to pen drive.

3. Expand the partition and filesystem to ~100MB. Expansion of ext filesystem is way easier than FAT, and that is one of the reasons why I choose Synoboot.

4. Replace zImage with *ORIGINAL* XPEnology 5.6-5644.5 one.

5. Compress modified ramdisk (with synobios.ko hax) with gzip as rd.gz

6. Add initrd parameter in /boot/grub/grub.conf.

7. dd if=/dev/sdX of=img

updateing I could not get 5644 to boot before using your version, I believe my issue was bzimage instead of zimage (it simply would never load). Anyway now that I got it booted I cant get the pat file to install. It just sits at 0%

Here is what I have tried.

1. Removed hard drives and blanked them out with no partitions.

2. Tried a different set of hard drives

3. Disabled all hard drives but 2.

Nothing allows the pat install to get past 0%. Any ideas? Previous version I could get to boot was 5565.2, no other version after that booted for me till I found your 5644.5

Hi madhits45 from what I gathered you are trying to installed Xpenology using updateing Image.

However, after wasted much time on my own, and consulted a member from the forum.

The updateing image is not suppose to install a fresh Xpenology.

You are supposed to install Xpenology as per Normal way/route.

That is the instruction is found here: http://xpenology.me/xpenoboot-5-2-5644-5-released/

After you have successfully installed, and if you find that your hardware still get corrupted BIOS

every time it reboots Xpenoogy. (Note, it does happen often, only some motherboards do).

You need to create the NEW image on your usb thumb drive using the updateing's version.

Next you are going to use updateing's image to boot your Xpenology. And that will solve the annoying problem of

messing up your motherboard's BIOS setting upon reboot. That is all. :mrgreen:

Basically you are replacing updateing image with the official release image, to boot up Xpenology. :grin:

THX liukuohao...

I did know you cant use the update pat files. You must first install DSM_5.2-5644 than each update after. The problem is my system is getting stuck on the base DSM_5.2-5644 pat file. I am stuck at the 0% initializing state and it never gets any further. I'm not sure what else I can try.

I had a previous problem loading the zimage file with all versions after 5565.2. So before finding updateing bios fix I was unable to boot 5644 at all. I knew it had to do with the zimage format and since updateing is in bzimage format it loads but now I am stuck at installing the pat.

Any idea what else I can try?

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I had a power outage at my house, and it looks like I've fallen victim to the same BIOS issue many others are seeing. I got a BIOS error stating that my overclocking settings are no longer valid (I never configured any of that in the BIOS).

I've left my initial USB stick as is, and created a new one using updateing's image. I get the initial boot screen, and let it select the default. It tries to boot but nothing happens, just a blank screen on my monitor connected to my system. What do I need to do to get things up and running again? I'd rather not start over, as I have a ton of data on my NAS. I've seen mention of editing the grub.conf file and some other things, but I'm not sure how to do that, Ive tried using WINISO and it won't load the image. Any suggestions on how to get my box running again without a full wipe? Any help is really appreciated!

Yeah, I had tried resetting the BIOS to default and then making the necessary changes. It turned out to be the USB port. The USB port I was originally using before the power outage wasn't working, so I was trying a different USB port. I got it to work again by putting it back in the original USB port without the ethernet plugged in. Weird stuff..

Weird Stuff?? Yeah.....

What lesson you learned here............

First and foremost, back up your important data to a USB 3 portable hard drive.

I suspect your PSU has reached the time to replace a new one.

I suspect motherboard is not getting stable Voltage + Current to support all the devices running.

• 4 months later...