XPEnology Community

Annoying BIOS reset issue is really bugging me!!!

Did a lot more testing. Most success found with this BIOS...

http://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f1 ... st21503128

If you don't touch Task Scheduler then my N54L keeps it's BIOS settings. As soon as you create a task and restart - BIOS is changed. Even if you use Advanced Power Management pack it changes the the BIOS.

"The Bays" BIOS gets changed no matter what.

The changes made to the BIOS in both cases most people won't probably even notice. Splash Screen gets re-enabled. After Power Loss gets set to Last State.

I even tried an old MSI motherboard (P35 Platinum - about 4 to 5 years old). This has a AMI BIOS and it too got changed - more significantly than the N54L it created checksum errors.

Hi Bod,

Thanks for your feedback.

Are you right about not touching the Task Scheduler, and you don't have BIOS resetting problem?

So, this is true, I guess that is reason why the forum users did not highlight this is a common problem

since Task Scheduler is not a popular settings to be used, I suppose. :roll:

Anyway thank for your further testing.

I suggest you stick to ASUS motherboards. :grin:

So far, I found any BIOS resetting problem using Nanoboot.

• 3 weeks later...

Well...I have been very busy over last few weeks...did not have time to test out more motherboards

to see if there is any issue in regards of bios resetting problem.

But now...because I am having a long weekend, I manage to get my hands tested on ASUS P5G41CM-LX-http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5G41CM_LX/motherboard.

The result.....

Under Power Schedule tab (from Hardware & Power), I created a schedule to shut down the system daily at 18:35.

The system did shutdown as expected...

So, I press the start button on my PC, XPEnology system reboot up and there is no bios resetting problem/bios checksum error message appear, it booted as per normal. :grin::grin::grin:

By the way, just want to inform all the forum users that BrainAz had tested that his Gigabyte motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R from http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3806#p22751, managed to survive a bios resetting/ bios check sum error problem due to his motherboard's dual bios in action.

There maybe another way to solve this.....

Reading on a HP server site for a server software that was causing a corrupt bios upon reboot, someone commented that to get a reboot to work and not have a corrupt bios, all they had to do was to password lock the bios

Anyone care to try it????

J

at my hp n54l the reset occurs only when you schedule start up and not shut down.

so you may like to test scheduling a start up as well, just to be sure.

Hi She,

So....I did play around with power schedule again this morning, and tested on the start up instead

of earlier shutdown feature (tested on yesterday late afternoon)

My result is.... start up (meaning schedule to start up at 8.30 am, just for example) did MESS up my ASUS bios setting.

After the time has reached 8.30 am, the PC did automatically start up. But boot to DSM cannot proceed, because it stuck there

in the beginning of POST, asking me to:

Press F1 to Run SETUP

Press F2 to load default values and continue

So...She as you predicted, schedule to start up causes my ASUS bios reset :sad:

I must try on the Gigabyte motherboard with dual-bios chip and see whether start up is causing BIOS resetting or not.

However, just to repeat myself, scheduled shutdown works and...

after I pressed the button to turn on the system when it has completely shut down, there is

no bios resetting / no bios check sum error during booting up in POST .

From me, the biggest worry is resetting BIOS after every reboot, however

my ASUS P5G41CM-LX-http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5G41CM_LX/motherboard,

does not have this problem so my worry is gone.

If the power schedule of start up is not working, and shut down is working, I can live with that :grin: ,

and ultimately, at least I can sleep easy at night and stop worrying the resetting bios problem :grin:

I can conclude that...to find a motherboard that match 100% compatible with a system

hardware of an original Synology DS3612xs is quite impossible. DSM will always be 80-90% compatible

with our own motherboard of choice. So, you expect to have some incompatibilities in some of the

DSM software functions / features.

Edited by Guest

There maybe another way to solve this.....

Reading on a HP server site for a server software that was causing a corrupt bios upon reboot, someone commented that to get a reboot to work and not have a corrupt bios, all they had to do was to password lock the bios

Anyone care to try it????

J

If anyone of forum user owns a HP N54L system, please do a password locking in the bios and see

whether it will solve the resetting bios problem during booting in POST, as I don't own one myself.

I tried on my very 1st system, the Supermicro PDSME motherboard with passwork locking in bios but it didn't

prevent the bios resetting happening. :sad:

Hi All,

Just another update on my testing motherboards.

Please don't bother to use /buy this ASROCK socket 775 motherboard:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/G41C-GS%20R2.0/

It is the ASROCK G41C-GS R2.0

You are wasting your time and money :???:

Why? This motherboard will get BIOS check sum error (or BIOS being reset)

on every time you reboot/restart DSM.

So you are being warn! :smile:

I got a N40L,

the Solution "Setup a Passwort to the BIOS" does not work.

I Tryd Advanced Power Manger and the buildin energymanager.

Booth destroy the BIOS-Settings with and without BIOS_Passwordprotection.

In my case, it does not hurt me cause i only use 4 Drives at the Moment and no special Hackedbiosfeatures are needed, but a solution would be nice.

I got a N40L,

the Solution "Setup a Passwort to the BIOS" does not work.

Same goes with my Asus motherboards, having password protected in its BIOS setting

DOES NOT WORK. Meaning if I set up automatically to boot up (scheduled to boot up)

when the system starts up, it reset my bios setting and having BIOS password enabled

did not prevent it at all. However, automatically shut down and start up again did not

cause any BIOS resetting problem.

But I did saw someone using HP microserver n54l. mentioned that BIOS password

did work!.http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3073

Unfortunately, I cannot verify it at all, because I don't have one! :grin:

Thanks

N40L uses the same BIOS AS N54L .The Mainboard istbthe Same. I would Like to know on which DSM and Which BIOS there will no reset with password protection. Maybee a special event spk will help ??!

I wish that I can offer any help. :grin:

But as I said earlier, I don't have any HP microserver to test.

My topic is mainly concerning about 3rd party motherboard

used for testing DSM.

I am not sure what you mentioned about "special event spk will help"

Hi All,

Hi All,

I managed to test some more motherboards from Asrock over last week.

Unfortunately, the 2 motherboards that I tested were far far worst than I expected. :eek:

Both the motherboards fail to completely loading up NANOBOOT during installation.

Both the motherboards will hang during when NANOBOOT is loading the drivers.

You have to press the reset button, to boot up from POST again.

In short, both the motherboards shown below, are not compatible with NANOBOOT.

1) Asrock G41M-VS3 R2.0 = http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/g41m-vs3%20r2.0/

2) Asrock G31M-GS R2.0 = http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/G31M-GS%20R2.0/

So you are being warned! :smile:

Edited by Guest

Hi All,

Hi All,

This is yet another update... :grin:

Unfortunately, the 2 motherboards that I tested were far far worst than I expected. :eek:

Both the motherboards fail to completely loading up NANOBOOT during installation.

In short, both the motherboards shown below, it not compatible with NANOBOOT.

• 3 months later...

Workaround for BIOS Reset for HP Microserver Gen8

- Press F9 at boot to enter BIOS

- Make your settings as desired (e.g. disable network boot and set the RAID-Controller into AHCI-Mode)

- Choose "System Default Options" - "User Default Options" - "Save User Defaults" => this makes the actual settings to the new default settings.

The Server starts instantly new and the new "Default Settings" are surviving the CMOS corruption forced by Xpenology at the shutdown or restart-process.

The Date is of course false and set to 06.06.14 but this can be managed easily within Xpenology where you can set a NTP-Server as clock-source. Then the date will be corrected after the boot.

I write this for all users as this bug costs me about 2 days.... :twisted:

- Make your settings as desired (e.g. disable network boot and set the RAID-Controller into AHCI-Mode)

- Choose "System Default Options" - "User Default Options" - "Save User Defaults" => this makes the actual settings to the new default settings.

The Server starts instantly new and the new "Default Settings" are surviving the CMOS corruption forced by Xpenology at the shutdown or restart-process.

The Date is of course false and set to 06.06.14 but this can be managed easily within Xpenology where you can set a NTP-Server as clock-source. Then the date will be corrected after the boot.

Hi, Balrog, Thank you for sharing your contribution about a workaround for BIOS resetting issue on the HP Microserver Gen8

I hope users in the forum who owns a HP Mircroserver Gen8 can test it out to see if it is working or not.

Since, I don't have one to try.

Anyway.........someone out there, has to do some dirty work and hours and hours of testing for the betterment of getting

Xpenology to be more compatible with our 3rd party hardware. :grin:

Thank you again.....

Hi, Balrog, Thank you for sharing your contribution about a workaround for BIOS resetting issue on the HP Microserver Gen8

I hope users in the forum who owns a HP Mircroserver Gen8 can test it out to see if it is working or not.

Since, I don't have one to try.

Anyway.........someone out there, has to do some dirty work and hours and hours of testing for the betterment of getting

Xpenology to be more compatible with our 3rd party hardware. :grin:

Thank you again.....

Hi All,

Hi All,

This is yet another update... :grin:

In short, both the motherboards shown below, it not compatible with NANOBOOT.

PLEASE IGNORE THE MESSAGE ABOVE, NANOBOOT WAS NOT ABLE LOAD DURING INSTALLATION

BECAUSE I HAD AN OLD PSU WHICH IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE NEW MOTHERBOARDS LISTED

ABOVE. :roll:

Any news about this problem?

I have a ss4200 and with Advanced Power Managment i get a bios error on startup. Shutdown works without problem.

At first, I did not know what is ss4200, until I look up in Google..... :shock:

Ok, frankly, I don't have the answer to your question unless I am the actual creator/designer of Synology DSM :grin:

My advice is, if you really want to boot up automatically then here is the solution (may not be solution to you)

Note: This solution only works for automatically start up only.

1) Buy a power AC auto timer. Set the time to turn on your SS4200 at certain time, say...everyday at 10.00am.

2) Go to bios and see whether you can enable a setting for AC power loss, enable this setting.

This means that when there is a sudden power coming into your SS4200, it will turn on and boot to DSM automatically.

3) Plug in the AC auto timer into your wall power outlet, and then plug in the power cord of SS4200 into the AC auto timer.

4) Plug in the power cord of the other end, into your SS4200.

You are done! :grin:

Your SS4200 will turn on automatically everyday at 10.00am, however, allow the DSM to turn off the automatically in Power Schedule

I hope this solution will solve the problem of yours.

Or alternatively, look for an Intel DQ35J0E motherboard, I have tested personally the auto ON and OFF both is working flawlessly,

except it does not support AHCI or not working properly in BIOS. if turn on AHCI, the system will hung.

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

Hi thanks for your input, I notice your motherboard is a Foxconn motherboard which is behaving not like other mainstream motherboards do when XPEnology is loaded on the system.

That is, majority symptom is when play with the Power Schedule(set a time to shut down or boot up), the BIOS will be reset to default, requires user to manually input its settings

But in your case, your Foxconn motherboard is able to shutdown properly without screwing up the BIOS.

Well it is good to hear your feedback [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk