XPEnology Community

Annoying BIOS reset issue is really bugging me!!!

Finally, after a few weeks of hassle...... :lol: ......my Supermicro PDSME motherbaord

using NanoBoot 5.0.2.4 DSM 5.0-4493 x86 (32bit version) (based on Synology DS214play model)

....there is NO MORE RESETTING BIOS ISSUE ANYMORE! :grin:

I would like to thank sporti for sharing the information! :razz:

Now, because it is a 32 bit OS and max. supported memory capacity = 4GB,

Previously I have a 8GB of DDR2 memory running, now I can remove the 2

sticks of 2GB = 4GB and put aside for future use. :grin:

I wonder if there is any tweak on the DSM software (based on DS214play hardware) to run a bit faster.

If I go the Control Panel-> Info Center-> Basic Information, it is showing INTEL ATOM

which incorrect, since I am running a INTEL Pentium D 930 socket 775 3GHz CPU.

I am bit concern about the module failed to load, check out the pic below: :???:

Should I just ignore it....nothing very serious?

Thank you.

Loading_Module_Failed_zps7e76e30c.jpg

Finally, after a few weeks of hassle...... :lol: ......my Supermicro PDSME motherbaord

using NanoBoot 5.0.2.4 DSM 5.0-4493 x86 (32bit version) (based on Synology DS214play model)

....there is NO MORE RESETTING BIOS ISSUE ANYMORE! :grin:

I would like to thank sporti for sharing the information! :razz:

Now, because it is a 32 bit OS and max. supported memory capacity = 4GB,

Previously I have a 8GB of DDR2 memory running, now I can remove the 2

sticks of 2GB = 4GB and put aside for future use. :grin:

I wonder if there is any tweak on the DSM software (based on DS214play hardware) to run a bit faster.

If I go the Control Panel-> Info Center-> Basic Information, it is showing INTEL ATOM

which incorrect, since I am running a INTEL Pentium D 930 socket 775 3GHz CPU.

I am bit concern about the module failed to load, check out the pic below: :???:

Should I just ignore it....nothing very serious?

Thank you.

Loading_Module_Failed_zps7e76e30c.jpg

Perfect !!! :wink::wink::wink::wink:

Ok Guys,

I am trying to do a FRESH install using the following components:

1) 1 x 4GB USB thumb drive loaded with Nano Boot 5.0.2.4 DSM 5.0-4493 (x86) image.

2) Intel Pentiume D 930 CPU running on Supermicro PDSME motherboard with 4GB DDR2 RAM32)

3) 4 x WD 20EARX 2TB hard drives.

4) Installing using DSM_DS214play_4493.pat PAT file via Synology Assistant on my client PC.

Here is an funny/odd issue which I discovered installing using DS214play (32bit) version....

When installing DSM_DS214play_4493.pat, I cannot finish installing because, it always come up with

an message saying it just cannot format the disk(Failed to format)... see the picture below:

Cannot_format_using_DS214play_pat_file_zpsb547d29b.jpg

So, what I do is I had to install the following

1) Nano Boot 5.0.3.1 DSM 5.0-4493 on a thumb drive and boot it.

2) DSM_DS3612xs_4493.pat(x64) version pat file for installing the DS3612sx- 64bit version.

Successfully formatted the 4 disks.....

Then reboot.....

Next...Nano Boot 5.0.2.4 DSM 5.0-4493 (x86) will mess up my BIOS setting back to default settings.

Press the DEL button, I have to reconfigure my original BIOS setting.

Next remove the Nano Boot 5.0.3.1 DSM 5.0-4493 (x64) thumb drive.

Insert Nano Boot 5.0.2.4 DSM 5.0-4493 (x86) thumb drive.

Reboot the system.

Run Synology Assistant and it will show "Migrating"

Install DSM_DS214play_4493.pat PAT file .

After finished installing, the system will shut down automatically.

Restart the system...BIOS setting remain unchanged.

DONE.

Questions:

1) Anyone know why Synology Assistant could format the disk at the very beginning when doing a

new fresh install of DS214play pat file?? :?:

2) Does anyone know how to make DS214play(by design it can only supports 2 hard disk) to support more than 2 hard disks? :smile:

Thank you.

2) Does anyone know how to make DS214play(by design it can only supports 2 hard disk) to support more than 2 hard disks? :smile:

Why go through the trouble of limiting yourself to DS214Play 2 drive emulation just to expand it to more drives?

Why not to just to use DS3612xs with up to 12 supported drives to begin with?

Is there anything special in DS214Play considering that you are not using real (power efficient) hardware?

currently i run on my "main" system (SM MB X8SIL-F) nanoboot 5031 (x64) and latest DSM....there i have the bios reset issue only when configure wakeup time, shutdown timer works fine

on my "backup/play" system HP ML310G8v1 i have the same issue, here i will test the nanooot 5024 (x86) tomorrow and report back...

luckily both systems have IPMI/IPKVM so that i can remotely power them on :smile: [wol won't work on 10G fiber]

ONE Question for me now only.... what's the max supp HDD size/number in this version? currently i have 6x4TB + 4x3 TB HDDs on an LSI SAS controller installed and plan to expand in near future

Why go through the trouble of limiting yourself to DS214Play 2 drive emulation just to expand it to more drives?

Why not to just to use DS3612xs with up to 12 supported drives to begin with?

Is there anything special in DS214Play considering that you are not using real (power efficient) hardware?

Hi XPEH,

Thanks for the comment.

If you read the thread earlier on, you will know that I did not limit myself.

In fact, I tried on the Nano Boot 5.0.3.1 DSM 5.0-4493 + DS3612sx (x64)

and that causes my motherboard Supermicro PDSME to have resetting bios setting

if there is a reboot on the system. I hope that I answer your question on why

I am trying on the DS214Play (x86) version, simply because using this pat file

did not cause a bios resetting problem. :smile:

If there is no solution of adding extra hard disk solution found when using DS214Play (x86).

I think I may have to revert back to DS3612sx (x64) and try a UPS power back up power

to solve my BIOS resetting problem.

I would pick more versatile DS3612xs over DS214Play even with BIOS reset problem. UPS for server is a must regardless of type or version of the server.

+1 sharing the same idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For your information, I tested using a generic UPS,

DSM detected there is an UPS connected to my Supermicro PDSME motherbaord.

But having it does not solve the BIOS resetting issue that I am currently having on PDSME motherbaord.

When power is off, DSM will shut down, but upon reboot, it will reset my bios setting. :roll:

I think time to swab the motherboard out and resuse later of other purpose.

i have also BIOS reset problem.

i run XPEnology nanoboot DSM 5.0-4493 update 2 on a HP microserver n54L with 6 drives.

I dont plan to use "power schedule" but i would like to know if there is a fix?

also if these BIOS reset problem could triggered by another feature/service? i.e. using WOL..

i have also BIOS reset problem.

i run XPEnology nanoboot DSM 5.0-4493 update 2 on a HP microserver n54L with 6 drives.

I dont plan to use "power schedule" but i would like to know if there is a fix?

also if these BIOS reset problem could triggered by another feature/service? i.e. using WOL..

@She,

I don't own a HP N54L machine, so I don't have any experience in the hardware whatsoever,

the only thing I can advice is click this link:http:// http://www.xpenology.nl/hp-n40l-n54l-bios-modificatie/

Don't worry the language, it is in Dutch. on the top right section click on the Great Britain Flag for English Translation.

I hope you can find the solution there. :grin:

BTW, do you mind stating what is the brand name of the BIOS running in you HP microserver N54L machine? :grin:

Thank you.

Edited by Guest

For flashing the bios I have use this guide http://terfmop.co.uk/blog/2013/07/31/hp ... sata-port/

/

Could you point me out, the link for fixing the Bios reset for hp n54L? Thanks

So, you are saying that after reading the link above, flashed it and, you still getting bios reset problem?

If you still having this problem, then you need to post question, and see some one from forum can help you, or search d forum.

I am just guessing here, may be....may be.... to solve the BIOS resetting problem.

You need to start from the beginning.....

You need to install DSM 4.2 first, and see whether there is any bios resetting problem.

If no, then upgrade it DSM 5 and see there is change? If no bios resetting problem

after doing the upgrade, then this is the solution :wink:

Hi All,

Can someone in the forum agree with my theory:

All American Megatrend BIOS motherboards HAS NO problem on BIOS resetting,

after it has installed DSM 5.0 based the latest 64bit = DSM_DS3612xs_4493.pat software? :roll:

AH...HA! :grin: Someone in the forum has discovered that American Megatrend BIOS motherboards

has NO problem on BIOS resetting just like I predicted earlier. :grin:

Check out the link here: http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3508&p=21258#p21258

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All,

after it has installed DSM 5.0 based the latest 64bit = DSM_DS3612xs_4493.pat software? :roll:

AH...HA! :grin: Someone in the forum has discovered that American Megatrend BIOS motherboards

Check out the link here: http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3508&p=21258#p21258

HP N54L with American Megatrend BIOS suffers with BIOS resetting. So AMIBIOS do suffer.

Now using DSM 5.0.4493 Update 3. Was using 4.2.3211 with same problem.

I have tried manual time update instead of NTP.

Disabled all DSM Tasks and Power Management.

Tried Nanoboot x86 and Nanoboot x64.

Changes BIOS every restart.

Hi All,

HP N54L with American Megatrend BIOS suffers with BIOS resetting. So AMIBIOS do suffer.

Now using DSM 5.0.4493 Update 3. Was using 4.2.3211 with same problem.

I have tried manual time update instead of NTP.

Disabled all DSM Tasks and Power Management.

Tried Nanoboot x86 and Nanoboot x64.

Changes BIOS every restart.

Hi Bod, thanks for your feedback!!!! :grin:

I should have know better, because I came across this link:

http://www.xpenology.nl/hp-n40l-n54l-bios-modificatie/

If you scroll down and you will see BIOS name is American Megatrend

Well, so much of hoping my THEORY is right.

Now I can see Bod has prove my THEORY is wrong here! :eek:

As matter of fact, having an American Megatrend BIOS DOES NOT mean that you WON'T have BIOS resetting issue.

So, I guess it all depend on your luck!

So far as ASUS motherboards + American Megatrend BIOS does not have any bios resetting issue. :-|

Hi All,

PLEASE IGNORE THIS COMMENT ABOUT MY THEORY. :grin:

THIS THEORY DOES NOT PROVE ALL MOTHERBOARDS with American Megatrends BIOS has no BIOS resetting problem.

Did a lot more testing. Most success found with this BIOS...

http://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f1 ... st21503128

If you don't touch Task Scheduler then my N54L keeps it's BIOS settings. As soon as you create a task and restart - BIOS is changed. Even if you use Advanced Power Management pack it changes the the BIOS.

"The Bays" BIOS gets changed no matter what.

The changes made to the BIOS in both cases most people won't probably even notice. Splash Screen gets re-enabled. After Power Loss gets set to Last State.

I even tried an old MSI motherboard (P35 Platinum - about 4 to 5 years old). This has a AMI BIOS and it too got changed - more significantly than the N54L it created checksum errors.