XPEnology Community

Annoying BIOS reset issue is really bugging me!!!

Hello,

The DQ35JOE is a LGA775 socket, what cpu are you using and do you find it works okay with DSM 5?

Just to confirm then, the above said MB LAN works, WOL works as does scheduled sleep & wake up??

Any chance also of knowing wattage use & graphic card used?

Ta

J

If I am right, then you are the 2nd person in the forum, to use DQ35JOE motherboard, including bearcat

I'm sorry but you are wrong,

not sure how I formulated myself to lead you to think I have that mainboard,

I have only been running xpenology on 2 HP N54L microservers, sorry for the confusion :oops:

If I am right, then you are the 2nd person in the forum, to use DQ35JOE motherboard, including bearcat

I'm sorry but you are wrong,

not sure how I formulated myself to lead you to think I have that mainboard,

I have only been running xpenology on 2 HP N54L microservers, sorry for the confusion :oops:

OK got it! My thoughts also got confused!

Edited by Guest

Hello,

The DQ35JOE is a LGA775 socket, what cpu are you using and do you find it works okay with DSM 5?

Just to confirm then, the above said MB LAN works, WOL works as does scheduled sleep & wake up??

Any chance also of knowing wattage use & graphic card used?

Ta

J

At this stage, I am still considering whether to buy the Intel DQ35JOE motherboard from eBay as a 2nd motherboard.

In the past experience, most of the 2nd motherboards that I bought from eBay, did not last very long.

Especially this motherboard is "made in China" as printed on the motherboard.

There are many eBay sellers are selling this particular model, I suspect that there is very high failure rate.

Faulty motherboards were sent away for repairing under warranty claim, when the repair was complete, seller sell it back to the public.

But I may be wrong here, just a gut feeling only! :mrgreen:

Anyway, I am very reluctant to buy unless it is the LAST resort

Now....if you are prepare to wait for me to try out all possible solutions, then you are most welcome.

However, there is no timeline here, I continue testing when I am free.

Hi,

I use this tool for setting up time scheduled things, shutdown / powerup.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/advpowermgr4ds/

I do not configure something in the DSM Energy Settings. for powerup/shutdown.

For my N54L worked the to set time sync to manual.

Hi, MikeRoxx

Ah Ha....you are talking about using Advanced Power Management package- 3rd party package.

I did try your method, install Perl package(it is a requirement) first....then installed the

Advanced Power Management package

After doing that, I went to the setting = Suspend heading under Welcome tab, then

select Shutdown, and select Immediately.

My PDSME motherboard rebooted, and after that.....same old story- the BIOS got reset :roll:

(NOTE: Time Setting = Manual, meaning Synchronize with NTP server is disabled, just like you did)

Oh well, I least I tried,

But if it is working on your HP N54L system, most likely APM package only works as a workround solution

for running DSM 5.0

Meaning, to solve Bios Resetting problem, and you have HP N54L system + DSM 5.0, you need to

install the APM package. It only works with HP N54L system.

Ok, guys,

I have good news and the bad news! :grin:

OK the good news first....

I borrowed my friend PC which has a Asus P5PKL/EPU motherboard.

Refer to the link = http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5KPLEPU/specifications

Chipset it is using is an INTEL G31 Northbridge and Southbridge chipset is an ICH7.

Installed NanoBoot NanoBoot 5.0.3.1 DSM 5.0-4493 X64 downloaded from http://www.xpenology.nl.

And guess what??? after reboot the system, there was NO BIOS RESETTING PROBLEM!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

So far so good! So, may be I need to buy an Asus motherboard with the similar chipsets.

It seems the NanoBoot + DSM 5.0 is compatible with ASUS motherboards.

Hey! I may be wrong here! You will never know, unless you tried it!

I am go to test it on my Asus P5G41CM-LX motherboard over the weekend and see.

OK the bad news....well, not really a bad news...my Supermicro PDSME motherboard will be retired and put

aside, may be installing FreeNAS later. :wink:

Ok Guys,

Here is weekend update.....

I could not find the time to test on my ASUS P5G54CM-LX motherboard, may be I can find time

on weekdays to test it whether there is the bios resetting problem or not.

However....I did manage to test another ASUS motherboard of mine....tough

I tested on my own PC, using ASUS PK5R motherboard.

Refer to M/B overview: http://www.asus.com/sg/Motherboards/P5KR/

Refer to M/B spec.: http://www.asus.com/sg/Motherboards/P5KR/specifications/

Tested on: NanoBoot 5.0.3.1 DSM 5.0-4493 X64 version.

The good news is, the testing result is there is NO BIOS RESETTING ISSUE

on the ASUS PK5R motherboard.:grin:

Just another silly theory of me(no proof to back it up), I tested 2 ASUS motherboards so far,

1st is the ASUS P5KPL/EPU and and 2nd one is ASUS P5KR motherboards, both are using American Megatrends BIOS,

perhaps NanoBoot 5.0.3.1 DSM 5.0-4493 X64 version + DSM 5.0 does know how to interfere American Megatrends BIOS :grin:

That is why there is no bios resetting issue on every reboot. What you guys think?

For shits & giggles this is what I have observed:

my systems over time have been or are:

ZOTAC Atom Dual-Core D510/Intel NM10/WiFi/A&V&GbE/Mini DTX Motherboard Mini ITX Motherboard s NM10-B-E (NM10-DTX WIFI) -

ZOTAC Atom Dual-Core 1.6GHz/MCP7A-ION/DVI&HDMI/A&V&GbE/Mini ITX Motherboard IONITX-G-E (I have two of these and they are "production" systems)

ASUS M3A78-EM

Foxconn A7GM series

The two ZOTAC production boxes are solid, there stay up 27x7. My only test was both systems are attached to UPS systems (two different UPS systems of different types, 1 an APC, the other a Cyberpower)

the Cyberpower based system recognizes the UPS via USB connection, when I try the APC unit via USB connection, the system freezes.

Recently we had an extended power (~2.5hrs) outage while we were away. Both systems drained their respective UPS, Cyberpower based unit was shutdown automatically. APC just died.

When I restarted both systems the cyberpower based unit reported the shutdown and was fine. The APC based unit reported an improper shutdown but was fine all the same.

Both systems booted without issue. the APC based unit is DSM4.3-3810 Trantor, The Cyberpower was DSM4 Trantor, now gnoBoot 5-4458, the USB to UPS connection has worked across DSM releases without issue

The D510 mobo appears to have BIOS reset issues is not suitable for DSM at all

The AMD based mobos appear to have BIOS reset issues but there is a workaround, the Foxconn eventually died of old age and general abuse.

manfriday

Thank you for sharing your findings. I hope everyone does the same like you! :grin:

So what you are saying that there is no coloration between what type of BIOS a motherboard is using and

DSM 5.0? :razz:

If I am right, then forum user has to gamble a bit to buy and test a motherboard that does not have

the bios resetting issue. :-|

I hope the administrator/moderator can allow a sticky to be implemented on the forum, so that

interested forum users share their findings, and are informed about which board is compatible

with DSM 5(i.e no bios resetting issue) and which board are not. :roll:

This can avoid a lot of $$$(not mention valuable time) spend on a board that making you feel frustrating or

spend $$$ on a board that you like very much and make you happy!!!

Dear All,

I tried latest Nanoboot 5.0.3.1 with latest DSM ,

These 2 mobo also got Bios auto Reset (Tried with both onboard SATA and IBM ServeRaid M1015 flashed to IT Mode) :

- Compaq Proliant ML110 Gen4

- Lenovo Thinkcentre A55 - Model 9265

Don't have time to test other mobos.

Will try again this weekend.

Btw tested with NAS4Free and got no problem at all.

Dear All,

I tried latest Nanoboot 5.0.3.1 with latest DSM ,

These 2 mobo also got Bios auto Reset (Tried with both onboard SATA and IBM ServeRaid M1015 flashed to IT Mode) :

- Compaq Proliant ML110 Gen4

- Lenovo Thinkcentre A55 - Model 9265

Don't have time to test other mobos.

Will try again this weekend.

Btw tested with NAS4Free and got no problem at all.

Hi, thank you for sharing your experience! :grin:

Maybe its simple but did you try changing the motherboard battery? Maybe the battery is dead so that's why when you reboot bios is reset everytime. I dont think it has anything to do with dsm at all.

Hi, baboulz

Yes, I did try to replace the battery with a new one, but no avail.

The result is still the same.....unfortunately. :???:

The old battery tested with a multimeter the reading is 3 volts.( not 2.5 or 2.3 volts)

This means the old battery still have power, so nothing to with having a flat battery.

Have you try updating BIOS firmware from mobo website? Maybe it can fix those BIOS reset issues.

Unfortunately Supermicro only released 1 firmware for the PDSME motherbord.

And I checked with my POST, the latest version is the same as what I found on

Supermicro's web site. There is no further update from Supermicro since I had

it for many years.

Try to use the 32bit Nanoboot Version....

With this Version i have no moreBios Resets :wink:

But did you try the 64bit version of Nanoboot?

What motherboard did you use to test?

Or your motherboard is old and it does not support 64bit.

Just wondering how to you conclude that the 32bit version

does not cause any bios resetting issue.

I use a Supermicro Board...with Nanoboot 64bit every Boot Bios reset...

With the Nanoboot 32bit Version everything works fine without any Bios reset....

Really??? :eek: Then may be.....

I need to test it with the 32bit Nanoboot version and see it for myself.!!!!

If it works, then I need to remove the memory sticks on the motherboard,

because currently it has 8GB of DDR2 and reduce memory capacity to 4GB

since 32bit OS cannot detect more than 4GB. :grin:

BTW, apart from having smaller memory capacity support, is there any

major performance difference between the two version i.e. Nanoboot x86 and Nanoboot x64 version? :?:

Edited by Guest

Ok, guys,

I have good news and the bad news! :grin:

OK the good news first....

I borrowed my friend PC which has a Asus P5PKL/EPU motherboard.

Refer to the link = http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5KPLEPU/specifications

Chipset it is using is an INTEL G31 Northbridge and Southbridge chipset is an ICH7.

Installed NanoBoot NanoBoot 5.0.3.1 DSM 5.0-4493 X64 downloaded from http://www.xpenology.nl.

And guess what??? after reboot the system, there was NO BIOS RESETTING PROBLEM!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

So far so good! So, may be I need to buy an Asus motherboard with the similar chipsets.

It seems the NanoBoot + DSM 5.0 is compatible with ASUS motherboards.

Hey! I may be wrong here! You will never know, unless you tried it!

I am going to test it on my Asus P5G41CM-LX motherboard over the weekend and see.

OK the bad news....well, not really a bad news...my Supermicro PDSME motherboard will be retired and put

aside, may be installing FreeNAS later. :wink:

OK....guys....just an update.....long awaiting update....been very busy lately :lol:

Good news!!! :grin::grin: My Asus P5G41CM-LX referring to link: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5G41CM_LX/ motherboard tested on:

NanoBoot NanoBoot 5.0.3.1 DSM 5.0-4493 X64 downloaded from http://www.xpenology.nl

after reboot the system, there was NO BIOS RESETTING PROBLEM!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek: