XPEnology Community

Annoying BIOS reset issue is really bugging me!!!

Hi All,

It has been a roller coaster ride for for last 2 days, getting XPEnology to work.

But, does anyone out there knows how to fix the BIOS resetting problem every time it boots up.

Having the XPEnology working PC located upstairs, so this mean I need to go up, change the

setting in the BIOS to boot up from USB thumb drive, every time you want to run XPEnology

DSM, which I think is damn annoying. :cry:

I did attempt to fix the problem.......

In my BIOS setting, under Advanced, Memory Cache.....

DEFAULT SETTING:

Memory Cache = Enable

Cache System BIOS area = Write Protect

Cache Video BIOS area = Write Protect

Cache Base 0-512K = Write Back

Cache Base 512K-640K = Write Back

Cache Extende Memory Area = Write Back

Change the following default setting:

Memory Cache = Enable

Cache System BIOS area = Write Protect- note this is Write Protected by default, but it still get reset after rebooting.

Cache Video BIOS area = Write Protect

Cache Base 0-512K = Write Protect

Cache Base 512K-640K = Write Protect

Cache Extende Memory Area = Write Protect

Gnoboot will load very slowly.... about half hour later....still loading the drivers.....

So, I am guessing, is Gnoboot writing data into the my slow USB pen drive?

That is why it is loading very slowly? :?:

However, if I left the default settings remain unchanged

Gnoboot will load normally, and heaps faster than before.

But as usual, after reboot the BIOS setting will change or reset

Appreciated if someone can help out.

Thank you.

1 - WHICH mainboard are you using (and what BIOS) ?

Upstairs PC and downstairs PC, duh :wink::razz:

Thanks for being humorous, but it is not! Believe me, when I have XPEnology PC located at upstairs,

and...downstairs is where my lounge is...where I want to watch video (streaming off from XPEnology) or

do file transferring. Every time there is a power failure at midnight, I need to restart the XPEnology PC,

and again, and again, walk upstairs and...then I need to reconfigure back the BIOS setting, in order to

boot from USB thumb drive, otherwise it will just stuck there. Very very annoying!!! :mad:

1 - WHICH mainboard are you using (and what BIOS) ?

2 - did you enable the power schedule ?

BIOS reset is a common problem, which is caused when you enable the power schedule, solution is to NOT enable any schedule.

First of all, thanks for lending your support!!! in answering my question!!! :grin::grin::grin:

Before, I go any further, I need to stress that at the beginning I thought there was

a problem with my motherboard battery, may be is flat or low voltage, so to

eliminate this factor, I bought a new motherboard battery and replaced the old one.

Guess what? I used the multimeter to test the old battery, it was not flat at all.

So, the old battery was just fine, reading was 3.0 volts, as it was expected to be.

My motherboard is a Supermicro PDSME server motherboard the link is below:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/PD/E7230/PDSME.cfm

Unfortunately, there is no further update on its BIOS, there is only 1 bios version,

currently I am using the latest one, which is BIOS = R1.1a

http://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/results.aspx

By the way, does any of the forum user experiences this problem when used on the latest

motherboard with the new generation UEFI BIOS? :?:

Ok, coming to answer to your question about power schedule.

For your information there is NO power schedule setting configured in DSM 5.0 whatsoever- NONE at all.

I am considering buying a UPS, to have my XPEnology PC permanently turned on at 24/7 operation,

in order to solve this problem of mine. Though, there will cost more than buying a spanking new

motherboard.

OR

Try Nanoboot on the same motherboard and see if solve the problem or not? :?:

OR

Try on another motherboard and see if there is still got this BIOS reset problem or not? :?:

What is your advice?

Thank you.

BIOS reset issue is a BIOS hardware compatibility issue with DSM and your motherboard. It does not matter whether you are using Nanoboot, gnoBoot, or Trantor. It can happen even if you don't set a power schedule.

Deep down, DSM wants to keep time in ZULU time (GMT), not your local time standard. It wants to write the ZULU time to your BIOS, just like Windows wants to write your local time to the BIOS.

DSM expects certain hardware and will write to the BIOS the only way it knows how. If your BIOS is not compatible, this write will corrupt your BIOS settings, resulting in a BIOS reset.

I've found DSM doesn't like the BIOS from Supermicro but is ok with ASUS. I have the PDSME+ and you will not get this board to work. With ASUS BIOS, I can set the shutdown time but setting a wake up time corrupts the BIOS. The best compatibility I've found so far is from Intel motherboards, specifically the DQ35xxx motherboards. I am able to schedule a wake up time with the Intel motherboards. I also have a Gigabyte GA-H87M-HD3 that doesn't have the BIOS reset issue.

DSM probably also doesn't like UEFI.

BIOS reset issue is a BIOS hardware compatibility issue with DSM and your motherboard. It does not matter whether you are using Nanoboot, gnoBoot, or Trantor. It can happen even if you don't set a power schedule.

Deep down, DSM wants to keep time in ZULU time (GMT), not your local time standard. It wants to write the ZULU time to your BIOS, just like Windows wants to write your local time to the BIOS.

DSM expects certain hardware and will write to the BIOS the only way it knows how. If your BIOS is not compatible, this write will corrupt your BIOS settings, resulting in a BIOS reset.

I've found DSM doesn't like the BIOS from Supermicro but is ok with ASUS. I have the PDSME+ and you will not get this board to work. With ASUS BIOS, I can set the shutdown time but setting a wake up time corrupts the BIOS. The best compatibility I've found so far is from Intel motherboards, specifically the DQ35xxx motherboards. I am able to schedule a wake up time with the Intel motherboards. I also have a Gigabyte GA-H87M-HD3 that doesn't have the BIOS reset issue.

Hi htpcdude

What can I say!!!! :lol:

Firstly, a BIG THANK YOU to your advice and sharing your experience to me!!! :lol:

Secondly, you are my life saver, after reading your advice, I think I sleep better now instead of think ways all day and night to fix this annoy problem. :grin:

Thirdly, did someone from the team of developers, forget to write about this known issue in the FAQ section? :?:

Fourthly, there is a section in the forum discussing whether the DSM OS is compatible with 3rd branded motherboards, why there no WARNING note in regards to the BIOS reset problem? :-|

Please refer to: http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33 or perhaps this: http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=854

Ok let's summarized what options I have got now that I read your advice loud and clear!

Option 1: Buy a Intel branded motherboard (The DQ35xxx series)

Option 2: Buy a Gigabyte GA-H87M-HD3 motherboard (not sure about there other models.)

Option 3: Buy a Asus motherboard- any model and any platform: Intel or AMD.

Option 4: Buy a UPS for supply power at 24/7 to XPEnologized Supermicro PDSME PC.

For the time being, in my case, Option 1 to 3, any of these options mean that I need to buy:

1) New CPU

2) New DDR3 memory

3) New motherboard

which I need to do some hard thinking before I proceed.

So.... for your case, which Intel motherboard from the DQ35xxx series did you use

which does not have the BIOS resetting issue??? Can you care to eloborate?

Are you using this Intel motherboard Intel DQ35J0E motherboard, please refer to the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121094 which has 6 SATA ports, which to me is more than enough to play with :eek:

In that case, if it is still available on eBay, then I may buy it to try myself and I don't have to do anything else, except swapping the motherboard out the case. :smile:

I may want to buy an Intel motherboard because of Intel NIC which performs better than other NICs,

namely Realtek.

Thank you again.

Set time in DSM to manual. To not update via Internet time Server. I use a third Party tool. APM advanced power m.... For setting up times Scheduler things. That worked for me. Running a N54L

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 4 mit Tapatalk

Hi MikeRoxx

Thanks for sharing your solution :grin: , but I could not understand the steps for

implementing APM and Scheduler. Would you explain in details further.

Thank you.

If you are going to by a new mainboard, and have to replace CPU, RAM etc.

you might have a look at the HP N54L, as it has proven to be a good companion to xpenology.

Personally I have 2 of those running very well :smile:

Hi bearcat,

Am I hearing your correctly?

HP N54L does not have the issue of BIOS resetting itself after

there is a reboot from DSM 5.0? :roll: Am I right?

If am I wrong and you are right, can please read this post from the forum: http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3020

Which DSM version you are using? The earlier version of DSM?

In some cases, depending on what you do in regards of power schedule and/or WOL,

even the N54L (N36l/N40L) can experience the BIOS reset issue, as many threads here will tell you.

Heck, it might even happen due to a butterfly landing in another continent :wink:

But, it has never (keep fingers crossed) happened to me, but I have never tried to do any fancy things like that,

as I have no need for a NAS that go to sleep... I want it to be always on, and able to "serve" my needs.

The hardware is very well documented, and there is many people in this forum using it, so it might be easier to get help if needed.

For the price I paid, about $300 USD, I got a lot for my money, and after testing out xpenology,

my 2. server, that was supposed to run Win2012R2, was transformed into another NAS.

For now, both of them are running DSM 4.3 - 3827 beta 7, thanks to Trantor, but I might update one of them to b8, when I have time.

I had to do a reboot some time ago, due to physically moving my NAS, but as you can see, it has been stable.

RG9ZKy9n.jpeg

Hi htpcdude

What can I say!!!! :lol:

Firstly, a BIG THANK YOU to your advice and sharing your experience to me!!! :lol:

Secondly, you are my life saver, after reading your advice, I think I sleep better now instead of think ways all day and night to fix this annoy problem. :grin:

Thirdly, did someone from the team of developers, forget to write about this known issue in the FAQ section? :?:

Fourthly, there is a section in the forum discussing whether the DSM OS is compatible with 3rd branded motherboards, why there no WARNING note in regards to the BIOS reset problem? :-|

Please refer to: http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33 or perhaps this: http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=854

Ok let's summarized what options I have got now that I read your advice loud and clear!

Option 1: Buy a Intel branded motherboard (The DQ35xxx series)

Option 2: Buy a Gigabyte GA-H87M-HD3 motherboard (not sure about there other models.)

Option 3: Buy a Asus motherboard- any model and any platform: Intel or AMD.

Option 4: Buy a UPS for supply power at 24/7 to XPEnologized Supermicro PDSME PC.

For the time being, in my case, Option 1 to 3, any of these options mean that I need to buy:

1) New CPU

2) New DDR3 memory

3) New motherboard

which I need to do some hard thinking before I proceed.

So.... for your case, which Intel motherboard from the DQ35xxx series did you use

which does not have the BIOS resetting issue??? Can you care to eloborate?

Are you using this Intel motherboard Intel DQ35J0E motherboard, please refer to the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121094 which has 6 SATA ports, which to me is more than enough to play with :eek:

In that case, if it is still available on eBay, then I may buy it to try myself and I don't have to do anything else, except swapping the motherboard out the case. :smile:

I may want to buy an Intel motherboard because of Intel NIC which performs better than other NICs,

namely Realtek.

Thank you again.

Yes I am using a DQ35JOE. I don't use the power settings myself but have just confirmed that I can set a shutdown and wake up schedule that works without issue. I'm running Nanoboot-5.0.3.1 with Synology's DSM_DS3612xs_4493.pat updated to DSM 5.0-4493 Update 1.

As I was writing my first response, it did occur to me what MikeRoxx said may work. I did not think of this when I was testing the Supermicro board and I've since bought other motherboards that work. My next Xpenology box will use the Gigabyte GA-H87M-HD3 but I would not recommend it. It has a Realtek 8111F NIC which gave me problems and took me a month to find the fix. I'm just waiting for 4TB hard drive prices to come down a little more.

Set time in DSM to manual. To not update via Internet time Server. I use a third Party tool. APM advanced power m.... For setting up times Scheduler things. That worked for me. Running a N54L

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 4 mit Tapatalk

Ok, I tried MikeRoxx's method.....only the 1st half. The 2nd half is still waiting for him to explain in further details

as I am not sure what he had done on the APM and using 3rd party tool.

So, went in to Control Panel, Regional Options, select the Time Zone of where I am currently located,

select the time manually (i.e follow the local time of my country of origin), instead of using synchronize with an external NTP server.

Press the Apply button, reboot the XPEnology DSM5.0 PC....and wait.....

At the end....this method did not work, BIOS resetting is still happening. :-|

Hi bearcat,

For now, both of them are running DSM 4.3 - 3827 beta 7, thanks to Trantor, but I might update one of them to b8, when I have time.

I believe, DSM of the earlier version does not suffer the same BIOS resetting problem as DSM 5.0.

If you switch over to DSM 5.0, I think you will have the same BIOS resetting problem as I am.

So, the bottom line is, to solve my problem, I need to use earlier version of DSM and not DSM 5.0 :sad:

Hi htpcdude

Thank you for replying my question :smile:

Yes I am using a DQ35JOE. I don't use the power settings myself but have just confirmed that I can set a shutdown and wake up schedule that works without issue. I'm running Nanoboot-5.0.3.1 with Synology's DSM_DS3612xs_4493.pat updated to DSM 5.0-4493 Update 1.

As I was writing my first response, it did occur to me what MikeRoxx said may work. I did not think of this when I was testing the Supermicro board and I've since bought other motherboards that work. My next Xpenology box will use the Gigabyte GA-H87M-HD3 but I would not recommend it. It has a Realtek 8111F NIC which gave me problems and took me a month to find the fix. I'm just waiting for 4TB hard drive prices to come down a little more.

Ok, I think I need to buy this "JOE" motherboard (DQ35JOE) and pray hard that it does not suffer the BIOS resetting problem which I am experiencing

with my Supermicro PDSME motherboard. :grin:

Hi bearcat,

I believe, DSM of the earlier version does not suffer the same BIOS resetting problem as DSM 5.0.

If you switch over to DSM 5.0, I think you will have the same BIOS resetting problem as I am.

So, the bottom line is, to solve my problem, I need to use earlier version of DSM and not DSM 5.0 :sad:

My initial exposure to Xpenology was with Trantor's 4.2 and 4.3 builds. I ran into the BIOS resetting issues on my hardware until I found compatible motherboards. DSM 5.0 had not even been announced at this point.

Hi bearcat,

My initial exposure to Xpenology was with Trantor's 4.2 and 4.3 builds. I ran into the BIOS resetting issues on my hardware until I found compatible motherboards. DSM 5.0 had not even been announced at this point.

Ok, may I know what motherboards you are using for DSM 4.x??? Care to share??? :razz:

If I recall correctly, started with Trantor's 4.2 builds on the Supermicro PDSME+, didn't work. Then tried various ASUS motherboards, some had BIOS reset issues. Found one that didn't and had decent lower power draw but NIC was only 100mbps.

Did some research, gambled on buying the DQ35JOE and decided to use it. At this point I was using a Trantor's 4.3 release.

DSM 5.0 was announced. After a lot of testing with Trantor's 5.0 beta, gnoBoot's and then Nanoboot's releases, decided on Nanoboot. Upgraded the DQ35JOE system to Nanoboot's DSM 5 about 2 weeks ago.

DSM 5.0 was announced. After a lot of testing with Trantor's 5.0 beta, gnoBoot's and then Nanoboot's releases, decided on Nanoboot. Upgraded the DQ35JOE system to Nanoboot's DSM 5 about 2 weeks ago.

I want you to bring your attention to the your statement = "UPGRADED the DQ35JOE system"

This statement you are saying, at the beginning, all the testing using Trantor's 5.0 beta, GnoBoot and then Nanoboot was not

done on DQ35JOE motherboard system? Right? :?:

But later, you decided to gamble a bit, bought DQ35JOE motherboard and then loaded DSM5.0 and

so far no BIOS resetting issue arise.

If I am right, then you are the 2nd person in the forum, to use DQ35JOE motherboard, including bearcat

So, conclusion, DQ35JOE motherboard does make it the most compatible motherboard to work with DSM 5.0 :lol:

Correct. The DQ35JOE went into production with Trantor's 4.3.

I cannot guarantee you will have no problems with it. There are some features of DSM I never use nor tested, such as iSCSI and high availability.

I tested all the DSM 5 releases on my Gigabyte GA-H87M-HD3 and an Intel DQ35MPE. The DQ35MPE is very similar to the DQ35JOE, they even use the same BIOS. But do not get the DQ35MPE, it has a chipset bug which doesn't like the partition table DSM puts on the hard drives. There is a work around so I still use it for testing purposes. It also does not have the BIOS reset issue.