XPEnology Community

Custom built NAS for future proofing DSM 7.0

ttan98

Hi,

I have installed DSM 6.2.2 using 1.04b loader on a branded machine based on AMD A12-9800. It worked very well however the

power consumption is very high around 100W using 2 units of 3.5" HD.

I propose to custom built a system based on a number of POSSIBLE alternative processors, j3455, j1900 , j3355 or 3855U. Synology  uses the 1st

3 processors before I think I can still use the 1.04b loader. I think the DSM 6.2.2 and future updates like DSM 7.0 will run on

these processors. The chances of DSM 6.2.2 will run on my NEW hardware will also depend on the other compatible hardware that comes with the 

processor. What processor should I use? I can purchase a Fanless j1900 based PC at a good price at the moment.

You guys may like to suggest a things to look for before I embark on this project. Or direct me to the spreadsheet that shows all

compatible hardware for loader 1.04b and DSM 6.2.2.

Thanks.

Nobody can tell you if the XPEnology project will „survive“ when DSM 7 comes. It‘s a major upgrade of the OS and the current loaders will not work with it (imho). 

There will be a lot of work to do to reverse engineer the new system. 

Regarding your hardware: there’s no real spreadsheet of compatible hardware available. The best way to get the desired informations is to read the appropriate update reports section where users post what hardware they use on bare-metal systems. 

Using a hypervisor like ESXi is more secure in aspects of compatibility since you „emulate“ critical hardware components like the NIC or S-ATA controller for the guest os. 

I switched my critical Xpenology boxes from bare-metal to ESXi and had less of „hoping & fingers crossing“ when updates came out. Currently it‘s 8x bare-metal vs. 10x ESXi.

The CPU choice depends on your desires. Streaming, encoding, VMM, etc. As you said AMD is not the best choice in matters of power consumption and platform compatibility.

If you want more reserves in case of heavy use the J1900 is a little bit underpowered.

Edited by jensmander

Jensmander is right, it is impossible to predict, wether the current bootloaders will continue to work with DSM7 or a bootloader for DSM7 will even be possible.

If you realy want full compatiblity with DSM7 - your best bet is to actualy buy a Synology device like DS2419+, DS1819+, DS1618+, DS1019+, DS918+ or DS718+

The painpoints of the compatiblity are the storage controller and the network device - make sure to buy a mainboard that uses components that are supported out of the box and are beeing reported as beeing used with DSM6.2.2.

When it commes the CPUs - there will be always a compromise to make:

Extreme low consumption == likely weak performance

low consumption == likely decent performance, high price

high consumption == likely high performance, medium to high price

If you aim for extreme low consumption, you can use whatever Synology is using:

Intel Atom C3538 (15W DTP, passmark 2455), Intel Celeron j3455 (10W DTP, passmark 2112) and Intel Celeron J1900 (10W DTP, passmark 1840) in their machines - all 4 core cpus without HT. Stay away from the Intel Celeron j3455 (10W DTP, passmark 1168) with 2 cores. The Intel Celeron 3855U (15W DTP, passmark 1680) was never used in any Syno devices, though should work as well.

If saving money is of no concern, I would strongly suggest to buy a T series of the latest Intel-CPUs (i7-8700T=passmark 12724, I7-7700T=passmark 9283).  They have a DTP of 35W, but still plenty of permance.

Edited by haydibe

Thanks to Jens in personally answering my query, and also to Haydibe for your CPU suggestions.

I need to read through carefully your response if I don't understand hope you can answer them. I am not a major IT in terms what is possible and not possible and networking, etc. and also not right across with most of the latest IT technology.

I have a good idea, my system is working well on the existing hardware  running 6.2.2, I just have to switch the current processor A12-9800(65W) to 9800E(35W) that will solve the power consumption issue without building another system. The power consump. improves by less than 50%. also the performance does suffer by about 10%.(cpubenchmark 5521 to 5083). There you go. Thks everyone.

BTW a used 9800E costs about US$55 on Ebay, cheap.

It's not a real 9800E, but a guy reviewed an A12 9800 like yours and simulated a 35W DTP. I don't know how he did that , perhaps with the help of a modded bios. Idle power consumption is the same but the difference at heavy load is interesting.
It could be a good solution instead of putting money in an old setup.

cuKJeOX.png

Edit: it may be possible with a custom BIOS made by The_Stilt

Edited by pmchan

2 hours ago, pmchan said:

It's not a real 9800E, but a guy reviewed an A12 9800 like yours and simulated a 35W DTP. I don't know how he did that , perhaps with the help of a modded bios. Idle power consumption is the same but the difference at heavy load is interesting.
It could be a good solution instead of putting money in an old setup.

cuKJeOX.png

Edit: it may be possible with a custom BIOS made by The_Stilt

the power measurement for 9800E is simulated, I am not sure it would be for the actual CPU chipset.

The reviewer is very enigmatic about this simulated 35W, I know there are programs to modify lots of AMD CPU functions like RyzenAdj or modded bios. Some official BIOS even have a "target TDP" option available, don't know if you checked yours..? You may contact the reviewer for further informations, he's very active and if there's a way, I'm sure he'll gladly help.

I know 55$ is not a lot but you can't be sure your AMD setup will be compatible with DSM 7 if there's a loader someday, I would keep my money and wait but I understand 100W is an enormous amount of energy, I don't know how it's even possible or perhaps it's while doing software decoding or heavy load, Mine is 50/60W at idle with 6 HD, 2 SSD, 2 pci-e cards and 4 fans.

Edited by pmchan

On 7/31/2019 at 12:33 AM, pmchan said:

The reviewer is very enigmatic about this simulated 35W, I know there are programs to modify lots of AMD CPU functions like RyzenAdj or modded bios. Some official BIOS even have a "target TDP" option available, don't know if you checked yours..? You may contact the reviewer for further informations, he's very active and if there's a way, I'm sure he'll gladly help.

I know 55$ is not a lot but you can't be sure your AMD setup will be compatible with DSM 7 if there's a loader someday, I would keep my money and wait but I understand 100W is an enormous amount of energy, I don't know how it's even possible or perhaps it's while doing software decoding or heavy load, Mine is 50/60W at idle with 6 HD, 2 SSD, 2 pci-e cards and 4 fans.

I haven't bought the AMD 9800E yet probably don't intend to buy it cos I rejigged my system by making minor adjustments, with all the cards intact I remeasured the power consumption the new power consump. is about 35-40watts(once the system settled down and in idle state). It is not that high cos I don't intend to have it ON 24/7. Thanks for your contribution.

• 10 months later...
On 6/5/2020 at 6:30 PM, scorpion_1982 said:

Which motherboard should I use for xpenology 6.2.2 or 6.2.3

6.2.3 and gemini lake (native support since 6.2.3 as synology uses it in its own x20 systems)

ASRock J4105-ITX (90-MXB6N0-A0UAYZ)

ASRock J5005-ITX (90-MXB6D0-A0UAYZ)

one pcie 1x slot to have a 4xsata controller or a 2.5GBit nic (but the nic can also be 2.5/5G on usb 3 port)

(if it needs to be a soldered cheap solution with 4xsata, i prefer micro atx with more pcie options and pcie 3.0, still my favorite is gigabyte b365m-hd3)

6.2.3 and gemini lake (native support since 6.2.3 as synology uses it in its own x20 systems)
ASRock J4105-ITX (90-MXB6N0-A0UAYZ)
ASRock J5005-ITX (90-MXB6D0-A0UAYZ)
one pcie 1x slot to have a 4xsata controller or a 2.5GBit nic (but the nic can also be 2.5/5G on usb 3 port)
(if it needs to be a soldered cheap solution with 4xsata, i prefer micro atx with more pcie options and pcie 3.0, still my favorite is gigabyte b365m-hd3)
I have asrock j5005-itx and by default have 4 sata slots..
I have 4 disk instaled in raid 5 and it's work very well with last 6.2.3 firmware.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk