XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] Having a monitor hook up to XPEnology for surveillance

liukuohao

Hi All,

First of all thank you guys for creating XPEnology. :grin:

Here comes a silly question, I know Synology is a headless NAS (without monitor)

Is it possible......(wishful thinking) :lol:

1) To Install a separate dedicated GPU card on the working mortherboard.

2) Hook up a LCD/LED monitor and output the graphical DSM GUI on the monitor.

The purpose of this silly idea to to run Synology Surveillance Station app.

Having a monitor hook up, then you can do live monitoring on your surveillance cameras

As well as doing some playback viewing using XPEnology working PC :?:

If this is possible, then I can do live monitoring directly from XPEnology working PC

without having to use my laptop connecting to the LAN switch and run Synology Assistant

on the browser and finally run Surveillance Station.

Thank you.

Nope, it's not working. On the monitor attached to the xpenology box you would see only the linux console and that's all

Ok, then, I was hoping someone may have a classic hack on what I wanted, but I least I tried :grin:

By the way, has anyone in forum use Synology Surveillance Station successfully

on XPEnology? Any issue arising? Care to share your experience or any shortcoming

that I need to know?

Just started to use it with 2 HikVision cameras. Works fairly well on local LAN, even over wi-fi. In fact prefer it over BlueIris which gets recommended a lot. If you enable web station you can go directly to Surveillance station.

From my limited experience so far would suggest it is fairly limited compared to the likes of BlueIris but it really depends on your requirements. For monitoring and recording it does the job.

Not sure about hooking up a monitor directly to the NAS box. But like I say I use mine via laptop over wi-fi.

No, it isn't built that way. I can only offer DSM over the network. Those are webpages, not a desktop interface.

Just access it over the network, it's built that way.

You can put a raspberry pi or whatever behind your monitor and open up a browser, that way you don't actually 'see' your device and you can still use your laptop.

No, it isn't built that way. I can only offer DSM over the network. Those are webpages, not a desktop interface.

You can put a raspberry pi or whatever behind your monitor and open up a browser, that way you don't actually 'see' your device and you can still use your laptop.

Yeah, that's what I thought, buy a cheap a raspberry Pi, may work.

But I wonder if a raspberry Pi has the processing power to output, say 8 channels of surveillance camera

on live viewing? :roll:

Or... Windows Server 2012 R2 with Hyper-V role and the NAS acting as VM. Fairly complicated, but working from the same device. Still, i guess the hardware should not be entry level and a bit more powerful than what DSM needs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Nindustries wrote:No, it isn't built that way. I can only offer DSM over the network. Those are webpages, not a desktop interface.

Yeah, that's what I thought, buy a cheap a raspberry Pi, may work.

But I wonder if a raspberry Pi has the processing power to output, say 8 channels of surveillance camera

on live viewing? :roll:

I actually really like this idea and have added it to my to-do list. The RaspberryPi should have enough processing power to view the cameras fine.

I've got three bare metal boxes running SS at each site and between 2-4 cameras on each recording 3MP @ 20fps without any issue. Been recording rock solid for several years now. Very impressed.

Posted via Xpenology.us

I just did some quick research and testing in a few of my VM's and sadly, Synology's Linux support is barebones and hardly functional. Might be better off buying a cheaper micro pc that runs a more supported OS for full featured live-viewing and playback.

Hardware Specifications

CPU

CPU Model Embedded NVR SoC

CPU Architecture 32-bit

CPU Frequency Dual Core 1.0 GHz

Memory

System Memory 1 GB DDR3

Storage

Drive Bay(s) 2

Maximum Drive Bays with Expansion Unit 7

Compatible Drive Type (See all supported drives)

3.5" SATA III / SATA II HDD

2.5" SATA III / SATA II HDD

Maximum Internal Raw Capacity 16 TB (8 TB HDD x 2) (Capacity may vary by RAID types)

Maximum Raw Capacity with Expansion Units 56 TB (8 TB HDD x 7) (Capacity may vary by RAID types)

Maximum Single Volume Size 16 TB