XPEnology Community

N54L + XPEnlogy

libra1999

New to this forum. Hello everyone. :grin:

I just bought my N54L and am about to build as NAS with XPEnology.

I have 6 HDD old SATA disks and would like to put all into the box. After some research, it seems achievable via converting ODD to 2x3.5' and external eSATA to SATA. However, I have no place to put OS. I plan to install OS into a USB from which to boot.

I have some junior question to ask? :?:

1> Does my plan sounds all right?

2> Is it able to connect my existing 6 HDD into DSM 5.0 without formatting, i just want to avoid data migration unless it is really really necessary.

3> Any guide or instruction for BIOS hack as I have no idea how to and it is required to upgrade ODD to SATA?

4> How to create a boot USB with DSM5.0 latest 4493?

thanks a lot.

1- 6 drives is possible, basically, you need to...

- Run an eSATA to SATA cable from the back of the box, through a blanking plate and into the top drive bay.

- Get a molex to dual SATA power cable.

- Find some way of mounting two drives (I used one of these: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15856 ... 0-AKS.html)

- Upgrade the BIOS to one of the hacked versions to enable the eSATA/ODD to run at full speed (emulates IDE otherwise).

2 - For DSM, you'll have to format the drives.

3 - There's plenty of info on the net about this already.

4 - See the nanoboot instructions on the forum.

BTW, i'm not running DSM on my N36L yet - the above setup was for WHS2011. I plan on building a new server for DSM, migrating the data to it and then rebuilding the N36L with DSM as well.

However, I have no place to put OS. I plan to install OS into a USB from which to boot.

DSM doesn't use separate drive. It mirrors small system partition to all permanently connected (initialized) drives. USB is needed for synoboot, initial boot-loader.

1- 6 drives is possible, basically, you need to...

- Run an eSATA to SATA cable from the back of the box, through a blanking plate and into the top drive bay.

- Get a molex to dual SATA power cable.

- Find some way of mounting two drives (I used one of these: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15856 ... 0-AKS.html)

- Upgrade the BIOS to one of the hacked versions to enable the eSATA/ODD to run at full speed (emulates IDE otherwise).

2 - For DSM, you'll have to format the drives.

3 - There's plenty of info on the net about this already.

4 - See the nanoboot instructions on the forum.

BTW, i'm not running DSM on my N36L yet - the above setup was for WHS2011. I plan on building a new server for DSM, migrating the data to it and then rebuilding the N36L with DSM as well.

thanks a lot

However, I have no place to put OS. I plan to install OS into a USB from which to boot.

DSM doesn't use separate drive. It mirrors small system partition to all permanently connected (initialized) drives. USB is needed for synoboot, initial boot-loader.

emm, it sounds a trouble for me. I am trying to avoid data migration. Can I set all SATA ports to eSATA with NFS supported and then use a USB as DSM OS? Would it have an issue for disk sleep mode?

Cheers

If you install XPEnology, you boot from the USB bootloader. Then you install DSM, which will install on all 6 disks, RAID or SHR.

4 disks are normal connected through drive bays. The two extra disks are via eSATA. In total 6. NFS is a protocol which is support in XPEnology.

The DSM OS does not work on USB. USB is only boot device. Sleep mode works fine with USB stick in the system.

Data migration from the current disk is not possible. DSM will format your drives. Make a backup first.

BIOS mod and install instructions see http://www.xpenology.nl.

Thanks a lot, Poechi

If I set all SATA to eSATA via modifying /etc.deafults/synoinfo.conf, also I intend to attached these HDD after I have DSM installed. Would it be possible to install DSM without any SATA disk attached?

Ok please can someone help. I noticed something strange. When the power fails and my ups kicks in my system does not shut down.

is this normal and if so how do I enable it to shutdown when running on ups... ?

This happens on all 3 my microservers 2 on different ups'es

Please help as power in my area is not great...

Ok please can someone help. I noticed something strange. When the power fails and my ups kicks in my system does not shut down.

is this normal and if so how do I enable it to shutdown when running on ups... ?

This happens on all 3 my microservers 2 on different ups'es

Please help as power in my area is not great...

good luck, hope someone can help you out. My N54L still sits at the corner and to be installed.