XPEnology Community

Noob System Build

rdm

Hi everyone!

I recently (accientally/impulsively) purchased a system off of ebay that someone setup to run FreeNAS. As I wait for it to arrive, I'm exploring alternatives to FreeNAS, and that's how I found XPEnology. The DSM 5.0 software looks amazing and more suited to my needs (i.e. expandable storage pool, easy to use interface, mobile apps, etc.) . I'd like your help in knowing whether the DSM 5.0 can run on this system.

Here are the system specs:

Case: Norco S4 Black Mini-ITX Storage Case

Motherboard: Intel S1200KPR Server Board

Processor: Intel Celeron Processor G530 (2M Cache, 2.40 GHz)

Thermal Solution: Zalman CNPS2X

Memory: Kingston KVR133D3E9SK2/8G 8GB (2 x 4GB) PC3 - 10600 CL9 DDR3 ECC 240 pin DIMM

Power supply: Seasonic SS250-SU Flex-ATX Power Supply - 250 W 80 Plus Bronze

Operating system: FreeNAS 9.2.1.5 on SanDisk Cruzer Fit 4GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive

I also have 3 x 3TB HDD (that will be used for my storage pool), a 1TB HDD (that would have been used as a cache drive for FreeNAS), a spare 2TB HDD, and a spare Celeron G1610 processor.

Also, the motherboard only has 4 onboard sata ports, but has a 16x PCIe slot. I was wondering if I could add a USB 3.0 + SATA PCIe controller card to add those extra ports, and is there such support in DSM 5.0?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for your quick reply. I'm excited to try out XPEnology.

At the moment, I think the 4 onboard sata connectors will be enough. However, I really wanted USB 3.0 capability to attach an external HDD for back up purposes. It seems possible to mount one (maybe two) 2.5" drives in the case. That is why I was exploring a combo USB3/SATA expansion card. I found a syba card on newegg that someone seems to have gotten to work with XPEnology: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6815124130 I may order that after I get a chance to play with the system for a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I just wanted to give you guys a quick update. I received the system that I mentioned in the original post, but the case was damaged in shipping. I decided to return it to the seller.

However, I have an HTPC I built last year, and I was able to convert that to use as my xpenology box. Here are the specs:

CASE: Bitfenix Prodigy

MB: ASUS P8H77-I

CPU: Intel Celeron G1610 2.6 GHz

RAM: ADATA 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz

PSU: Corsair CX430M

HDD: 4 x 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001(9TB available, SHR)

I'm running a baremetal install of DSM 5.0 using nanoboot. It's been up for 2 days now with stable transfer rates (R/W +100 MB/s). I've got SABnzbd and Sickbeard running. Those were a bit tricky since you have to be aware of the permissions and paths. I still need to try the Headphones app. Overall, it's been a pretty smooth process getting everything going. I have a kill-a-watt that I will use to check the power draw of the machine once I have the software setup how I want it.

Cheers :smile:

The on-board LAN, USB 2.0, and USB 3.0 ports work. I have my USB flash drive (with nanoboot) and a USB receiver for my logitech mouse and keyboard connected to the USB 2.0 ports. They were detected and run fine. I also connected a 1TB mobile HDD to the USB 3.0 ports, and it is detected. It is accessible via file station as a usbshare.

I will try the WOL feature later. I verified that the MAC address from the onboard NIC is being reported correctly (using nanoboot), and I also defined a unique serial number for my system. I think these are crucial steps to get the WOL going.

I'm currently debating on whether it is worth it to use a dedicated HDD for torrents/usenet downloads because of the wear and tear. Once, I figure out that I'll do some power readings of the fully operational machine.

Won't the drive holding the nanoboot info always be spinning anyway? I can't believe a modern drive would suffer more, but on the flip side, can you make synology download and use a separate hdd just for torrenting and downloads?

Thank you

J

I genuinely believe worrying about wear and tear to be more trouble than it's worth.

Have a good redundant solution and replace things as they wear out. I guess electricity might be a concern too, but when you sit and work out the actual cost I don't think it's too hard to swallow.