XPEnology Community

Help for Intel CPU-Powermanagement

bmwbiker

Hi all,

please can someone give me a manual, how to get the CPU-Speed managed because of power-consumption?

Is there a script how to install and setup the recommended files?

I have installed ikpg-packages but after reboot or upgrading the DSMi have to install again.

Could this be implemented in the nanoboot-Bootloader?

Thanks for help,

bmwbiker

Assuming you've installed ipkg already, use it to install a package called cpupower. After installation, you should see cpufreq-set and cpufreq-info under /opt/sbin. Use cpufreq-set to set power governors, which I set to ondemand to set cpu frequency to minimum during idle and ramp up to max during load. Use cpufreq-info to check the cpu information such as current frequency. Another useful tool is powertop which let you monitor the cpu idle states. This can also be installed with ipkg.

Actually, I just went through all this myself to implement power saving for my AMD based rig and have posted questions on this forum. Therefore I'm very interested to see your results if you don't mind posting them using the above tools for your Intel rig. By the way, you should have acpi-freq, speedstep, or EIST drivers installed for power saving. Powernow-k8 is available for AMD cpu in gnoboot 10.5 but I'm not sure about Intel drivers.

EDIT: I assumed that your rig is Intel based but that might not be the case. If it's not, powernow-k8 driver is available for gnoboot but not seen in nanoboot.