XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] Slow disk write?

dtran

I'm seeing a very slow transfer rate between my Windows 8.1 PC and the Xpenology NAS, at ~11MB/s. So using a Windows tool called LAN Speed Test, I see upload (PC -> NAS) at 11MB/s but download (NAS -> PC) is around 100MB/s. If I do this same test with another PC (also Win 8.1) on the network, upload and download are around 60-70MB/s. The question is, does this result mean that the gigabit NIC on the NAS is ok and the bottleneck is in the hard drive in the NAS? What can I do?

Some details regarding my Xpenology setup:

CPU: AMD A8-3800

MB: Gigabyte GA-A75M-D2H with 6 SATA3 ports

Memory: 4GB DDR3 1600

HDD: 1TB WD Blue set as single SHR volume

DSM version: Bare metal 5.0 - 4458 Update 2 with Gnoboot 10.5

I've tried setting the onboard SATA controller as AHCI as well as Native IDE and the results are the same. Also, the network interface in DSM does show Gigabit connection.

Thanks for the suggestion. Admittedly, most of my cables are self-made using 300ft+ bulk Cat5e cables and RJ45 connectors. But switching cables around does change the data rate reported by the speed check tool. So I'm ordering real cables, with Cat6 and probably more professionally made, to see if they make any difference.

Just have in mind that cat6 rj45 are usually coming with metal shielding. That means that either the rj45 jacks could not fit or fit pretty badly the rj45 mother connectors in most network rquipments. I had this issue :smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schnapps, you're the man! I just changed the cables and what do you know, 88MB/s upload and 113MB/s download in LAN Speed Test. I even tried a 1GB file transfer and got 98MB/s sustained transfer rate. I guess my self-made cables are good for only up to 10-11MB/s, which is Fast Ethernet but not Gigabit Ethernet. Good thing I wasn't really doing any serious file storage. Now onto the rest of my cabling in the house and finishing up the Xpenology box with another 3TB HDD. :grin: BTW, still struggling with HDD spindown but that's less critical than getting good network speed.

Thanks a bunch, Schnapps!

Not the cabling is the problem but from the cables. Most of the issues come from cheap cables and not from inserting the jack :smile:.

Glad I could provide some help. Thanks to experience! :smile:)

Cheers mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk