XPEnology Community

Problems with Real SN/MAC

Captainfingerbang

So i needed to swap hardware out to get qsv and transcoding working.

Prior to changing hardware and making a new usb, I was using my real sn/mac from my synology and was able to reap the benefits of (though i didnt use them) having a fully functioning box.

But since its been so long since ive made that usb, i forgot how to or where to input the real sn/mac or if i still need to  input my mac address from my board/nic or not.

I know this is borderline not cool because of terms of use etc. But could someone PM me with a link or a how to re-implement using my real sn/mac on my xpen machine?

SN and MAC addresses can be edited in the grub.cfg file located in the loader. Look at the installation tutorials I made, it’s all detailed there. In order for legit sn/mac to be effective they need to be added to the grub.cfg file prior DSM’s installation otherwise (if you add them posteriorly) DSM will recognise them but will not consider them legit and all services depending on them will not work.

I think the reason behind this is that during installation DSM checks for legitimacy and if the check fails then DSM permanently tags the installation as not being legit through perhaps some file addition or modification. I can’t tell for sure what is happening there but reports in the forum show that only initial installation with legit sn/mac enables proprietary dependant features.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

SN and MAC addresses can be edited in the grub.cfg file located in the loader. Look at the installation tutorials I made, it’s all detailed there. In order for legit sn/mac to be effective they need to be added to the grub.cfg file prior DSM’s installation otherwise (if you add them posteriorly) DSM will recognise them but will not consider them legit and all services depending on them will not work.

I think the reason behind this is that during installation DSM checks for legitimacy and if the check fails then DSM permanently tags the installation as not being legit through perhaps some file addition or modification. I can’t tell for sure what is happening there but reports in the forum show that only initial installation with legit sn/mac enables proprietary dependant features.

Synology uses a blacklist (I guess). I had a XPE DS3615xs with a generated serial on DSM 6.1 which once showed me a window „Oops, invalid serial!“ when I logged in DSM. This occured after an update of the Video Station package. I reflashed a new stick with a new number and migrated the system. Everything went ok until I started the Video Station again. Next step was a clean install with the 1st stick and (guess what) after installing the Video station...

• Thanks 1

On 7/7/2019 at 11:51 AM, Polanskiman said:

Thanks for this Polanskiman. 

This makes sense.

So the only way to remedy here, from what i understand you are saying is i would need to do a reinstall using a fresh usb and put the real (legit) SN where its supposed to be in grub, as well as the real legit mac in grub and just reinstall. No need for NIC mac address, as it is irrelevant if using real mac/sn.

Does this sound correct?

Im on DSM 6.2.2-24922. So to reinstall with new fresh usb with correct sn/mac,  i am curious which install i should do: 

The one where it keeps my system settings etc, or the other one that totally wipes all?

So i tried new usb with real sn/mac but it still wont let me log in.

I chose "Reinstall" option #2 at juns bootloader 1.04b for 918+

What is weird is that Synology assistant is not showing the mac address i put in grub cfg, it is showing another one ive never seen..

Not working.

assistant.PNG

Edited by Polanskiman
add photo

10 hours ago, Captainfingerbang said:

What is weird is that Synology assistant is not showing the mac address i put in grub cfg, it is showing another one ive never seen..

Please check you did not make a mistake in the MAC address while editing the grub.cfg file. If you are sure then also make sure there is no IP/MAC reservation in your router with that IP and a different MAC. Also try rebooting your router.

If possible try making a brand new install on a blank HDD to discard DSM's previous install as being the culprit.

10 часов назад, Captainfingerbang сказал:

The one where it keeps my system settings etc, or the other one that totally wipes all?

Check your new sn in the grub.cfg. Back up your configuration (dss file). Delete /etc.default fom telnet/ssh. Migrate and restore your configuration from dss file. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@ Polanskiman,

If possible try making a brand new install on a blank HDD to discard DSM's previous install as being the culprit.

I did try your method here and i couldn't get it work on both my 2 ds918 setups with fresh HDD's, both with real sn/macs

*Although now Synology Assistant is showing the correct MAC/SN i input into the grub config.

Both of the real sn/macs used to work (transcoding) on both ds918's but now both do not work.

Maybe because i changed hardware?

Or could it be my nic cards? BOTH of the motherboards have Intel I219 but only one works, the broken one has Intel X540 t2 10gbe card.

Lastly, do you know if there is an extra.lmzk driver for I219 yet? Why would 1 i219 work and the other doesnt?

I am SO CLOSE to having my perfect setup. I simply want Photo Station to create thumbnails for my videos. 

I think i am going to try again tonight, because for one unit i still had an ip reservation and had never rebooted router. 

• 2 years later...