XPEnology Community

New loader for Raspberry Pi 4

vinhdt

Now that there is a new Raspberry Pi 4 with gigabit Ethernet and usb 3.0. Wondering if it possible to create a loader for this new raspberry pi 4 with 4gb of memory. Attaching two external  10tb of usb 3.0 storage and plugged into one of Cyberpower ups for power backup. 

• 3 weeks later...

Why would some invest time for an arm bootloader? A system with low energy consumption can be build with Celeron J3455 CPUs today.

If you want it to be cheap like the Pi, you might want to take a look at the AtomicPI. It commes with a x86-64 cpu.

Though, the nic is a RTL8111G, so you won't be able to run the latest DSM versions. I doubt this soc board is powerfull enough to run ESXi on it - even if it would, the RTL8111G is not supported ootb.

Edited by haydibe
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

RPI 4 with 4GB will be amazing for NAS, I try to setup with QEMU (qemu-system-x86_64) with jun's loader for 6.2 (and other) but always get error:

[    0.000000] CPU: vendor_id 'AuthenticAMD' unknown, using generic init. 

After this I get Kernel Panic.

Current KVM only work with aarch64 :( but there may be better support for ARM virtualization in the future.

4 hours ago, pooky said:

RPI 4 with 4GB will be amazing for NAS, I try to setup with QEMU (qemu-system-x86_64) with jun's loader for 6.2 (and other) but always get error:

Current KVM only work with aarch64 :( but there may be better support for ARM virtualization in the future.

Dont waste your time, just use openmediavault that has a loader for rpi and does everything dsm does 

On 10/28/2019 at 2:21 PM, pooky said:

ARM to X86 emulation would probably be too slow for this anyways.
just use open source alternatives.

Edited by nex86

• 4 months later...

I think the price difference between the R Pi 4 and some old celeron boards doesn't worth the trouble of making an ARM loader for dsm unless you want the extreme small size... They're right about using other Linux distros, the NAS stuff can be done with OMV easily, and the syno-exclusive apps you want, ARM won't have enough juice for those

• 3 months later...