XPEnology Community

Server shutting down

rickym

Question

I have a 4 bay server running xpenology DS918 and it's works fine except I had to disable cache. I had 2 120gb Samsung ssds for caching. Under heavy use it automatically shuts down. When I turn back on the error messages is that one of my cache ssd's is overheating. Tested both drives and they seem fine. Do you think it's a real error or a prob with xpenology not sensing drives correctly/

14 answers to this question

I guess it's possible but it ran some tests on it and no errors and all seems ok. Physically isn't hot at all but you are probably correct. On a good note ssd's of the 128 gb or 256 gb are getting dirt cheap. :) To be honest I disabled them and really didn't notice any speed difference so may just not use them.

I have had no luck. Nothing makes sense. I tried one ssd at a time using only one ssd and the server doesn't shut down no matter how hard I push it. I have tried another ssd with each of the ssd's I had been using and whenever I have 2 ssd's no matter which ones including the new one my server shuts down saying ssd overheats. Makes me think there is actually a problem with xpenology software that something might have gotten corrupted. tempted to start from scratch and redo everything. Just looking for opinions. Hope that all made sense.

Can you test each SSD in a Windows PC? Then you could run a few load tests while monitoring the temperature. 

Other question: how are the SSDs installed? In a normal PC case with enough room or space between each drive? If they are mounted with little or no space between each drive it‘s possible that the amount of heat is too high when both drives are under heavy load. In this case it makes sense that the system doesn’t crash if only one drive is used or working. 

You should also check if new firmwares are available. Some older fw had faulty temperature readings.

Seeing as it shuts down with 2 ssd, maybe there is some weird issue where the temp sensor  is combining the values both drives are reporting and if SSD1 temp + SSD2 temp > trigger point then shutdown? No idea where that value might be in XPE/DSM but maybe worth investigating.

also, have you thought about some monitoring via an SNMP app (eg Paessler PRTG), you can get a lot of drive/device stats through the syno built in mibs and standard device mibs with that app, might give you some extra data to help diagnose.

33 minutes ago, sbv3000 said:

also, have you thought about some monitoring via an SNMP app (eg Paessler PRTG), you can get a lot of drive/device stats through the syno built in mibs and standard device mibs with that app, might give you some extra data to help diagnose.

I would but I am fairly new and have no idea what your talking about. :) Funny thing is it has worked fine for a few months and just started doing it. Just about ready to eliminate the cache as I don't see hardly any difference in the performance.

It may actually be running too hot. My server case is my favorite 4 bay server case out there as besides the 4 bays it has a place on each side for the ssds. Problem is it has one fan that blows on the hard drive cage but it's not getting air from outside the case. It's a Chenbro SR30169 server case. Been real tempted to have a hole cut in the top and add an exhaust fan.

51-D9imBveL.jpg

Yes and Lian Li makes the best cases out there. I never have had problems before but I have all 4 bays filled now. I use to only have 2 and I think it's just generating too much heat. I either need a new case or need to cut a hole in the top for an exhaust fan. Not sure what I will do.

Hm... just a basic idea: you could use a dual ssd mounting cage. They usually have bore holes at the bottom. Then you can mount both SSDs in it and place it directly behind the perforated front plate. They would „sit“ in the air stream of the hdd cage fan. Something like in the sample picture.

A1F0F15C-88D4-43DC-8AE7-E9060F1FD2CC.jpeg

Edited by jensmander
  • Like 1