XPEnology Community

SCSI VMDKs on DSM 6.2.1+?

ilovepancakes

Anyway to get SCSI VMDKs on ESXi 6.7u1 working on 1.03b loaders with DSM 6.2.1+? It seems once I get upgrade past 6.2 I have to change my VMDKs to SATA controllers (among a few other changes) to get DSM to boot and work. 6.2.1+ can't recognize SCSI VMDKs?

I want to use SCSI because performance was way better with that before than SATA now.

Edited by ilovepancakes

Vdisks have to be attached as SATA for installation, but you may be able to switch them to SCSI or SAS after the installation is done.  I did test that on 6.2 some time ago.

However, if you upgrade or degrade the array, it will probably fail on bootup until you go back into the VM and reattach the drives to SATA.  My recollection is that it was all a bit finicky.

4 minutes ago, flyride said:

Vdisks have to be attached as SATA for installation, but you may be able to switch them to SCSI or SAS after the installation is done.  I did test that on 6.2 some time ago.

However, if you upgrade or degrade the array, it will probably fail on bootup until you go back into the VM and reattach the drives to SATA.  My recollection is that it was all a bit finicky.

Hmm, the synoboot VMDK was always SATA, and that I didn't care about since performance doesn't matter so much for quick boot. I had my "Data" volume in DSM and the DSM Install Volume composed of VMDKs added to the VM as SCSI, never SATA for where DSM got installed to and where I keep my data. When I did a test upgrade to 6.2.1 from 6.2 the only way DSM would actually start up was if I changed the SCSI volumes to SATA (and changed NIC to e1000e).

If I try adding a new SCSI VMDK as a new disk in the VM now, it doesn't show up in Storage Manager. If I change that SCSI VMDK to SATA, it shows up.