XPEnology Community

XPEnology DSM 5.0-4493 Discussion / Bootloaders

NoX

Hi, Noob here.

I have updated numerous times but now its not working. My commands are fine

sed 's/flashupdateDeb/flashupdateDeb1/' /autoupd@te.info > /autoupd@te.info1

mv /autoupd@te.info1 /autoupd@te.info

Go to putty, login as root. Bit stumped as to why it no longer works.

Can download the package, but when i run update I get temporary directory access error 2

Running a n54l like half the planet but this is a new area for me so still getting to grips.

Current version: 4458 Update 2

Trying to update to the latest. 4493.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi, Noob here.

I have updated numerous times but now its not working. My commands are fine

Go to putty, login as root. Bit stumped as to why it no longer works.

Can download the package, but when i run update I get temporary directory access error 2

Running a n54l like half the planet but this is a new area for me so still getting to grips.

Current version: 4458 Update 2

Trying to update to the latest. 4493.

Any help would be appreciated.

When updating from a major version (4458 > 4493) you need to reboot your N54L and select the upgrade/downgrade option within the GRUB menu.

Then update your XPenology through the Synology assistant. It should say something like: Upgrade is possible.

Please note that you may need to apply the new settings.

Please be careful that you don't encounter data loss.

I'm using nanoboot as bootloader.

I installed 4493 and upgraded to update2 without any problem. just did within DSM.

WOL also works well.

May I ask why we need to change MAC and SN, is any other propose for this change.

I could not have the hibernation work on my N54L. Looking forward to suggestion/instruction?

-----update----

still struggling with the hibernation issue.

check the scemd.log and see lots of entries about eSATA port check during the testing timeframe

Jul 3 21:50:45 DiskStation scemd: modules/disk_check.c:539 The machine eSATA ports exceed defined value(MAX_CDISK_SATA)

Jul 3 21:51:17 DiskStation scemd: modules/disk_check.c:539 The machine eSATA ports exceed defined value(MAX_CDISK_SATA)

Jul 3 21:51:49 DiskStation scemd: modules/disk_check.c:539 The machine eSATA ports exceed defined value(MAX_CDISK_SATA)

Jul 3 21:52:21 DiskStation scemd: modules/disk_check.c:539 The machine eSATA ports exceed defined value(MAX_CDISK_SATA)

would this be the problem that stop the hibernation?

Where I can make a change to MAX_CDISK_SATA?

I have done the configure change to mount esata port by editing /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

esataportcfg="0x0ffe"

internalportcfg="0x001"

folks, give a hand please.

You need to change the MAC address in order for WOL to work and the SN if you have more than one install of XPEnology in your network (not sure about the SN).

Did you try disconnecting the eSATA and then check if hibernation is working?

WOL works perfectly either LAN or WAN without adding MAC. however the hibernation still does not work even I remove the eSATA drive and leave only 1 main HDD. still could not see any log like "wake from hibernation"

So there's no need to add the MAC address in the boot line?

no need in my case, my gut feeling is that bootloader can grab the physical Mac during the boot, and then official pat installation package can config DSM accordingly. It may be required in the previous version of boot tools.

Any thought for the hibernation. so frustrated and almost give up. may try Windows Storage Server 2012.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have a question.

I am running Nanoboot-5.0.2.4 DSM 5.0-4482 X64 on my VM esxi and would like to upgrade to the latest 4493.

I have downloaded the new images Nanoboot 4493.

What are the steps to perform the upgrade without loosing all my config and files?

Thanks

Upload the new boot images to your datastore. Add new harddrive en select boot image (IDE), remove the old boot image harddrive.

Boot your VM select install/upgrade and at login prompt open Synology Assistant. Use the web gui to migrate.

Use this guide for VMware: http://www.xpenology.nl/vmware-installatie/

And basic install guide for DSM: http://www.xpenology.nl/standaard-installatie-dsm/

Hi, noob here :oops: with question:

I tried to follow that procedure for updating from DSM 4.2 under Esxi 5.1 running on a N54L, my configuration being otherwise same. The first screen of the web gui displays the status as "migratable" but also a red warning says that the content of disk 1 will be erased .. little confused here. I went further on selecting the migration but got a popup requesting me to check "I understand that content of disk 1 will be lost". Is this disk 1 only the boot image or the physical drive hosting my data (I have 2 RAW mapped drives)? Help much appreciated here :razz:

Many thanks in advance!

I have a question.

I am running Nanoboot-5.0.2.4 DSM 5.0-4482 X64 on my VM esxi and would like to upgrade to the latest 4493.

I have downloaded the new images Nanoboot 4493.

What are the steps to perform the upgrade without loosing all my config and files?

Thanks

Upload the new boot images to your datastore. Add new harddrive en select boot image (IDE), remove the old boot image harddrive.

Boot your VM select install/upgrade and at login prompt open Synology Assistant. Use the web gui to migrate.

Use this guide for VMware: http://www.xpenology.nl/vmware-installatie/

And basic install guide for DSM: http://www.xpenology.nl/standaard-installatie-dsm/

Hi, noob here :oops: with question:

I tried to follow that procedure for updating from DSM 4.2 under Esxi 5.1 running on a N54L, my configuration being otherwise same. The first screen of the web gui displays the status as "migratable" but also a red warning says that the content of disk 1 will be erased .. little confused here. I went further on selecting the migration but got a popup requesting me to check "I understand that content of disk 1 will be lost". Is this disk 1 only the boot image or the physical drive hosting my data (I have 2 RAW mapped drives)? Help much appreciated here :razz:

Many thanks in advance!

I'm answering myself - went further and though the gui claims disk will be erased it's not: I could access all of my files afterwards, great :smile:

Hello,

I successfully updated by N54L DSM-5.0 4493 Nanoboot based from Update 3 to Update 4 by:

• Downloading the update
  • Executing the usual commands

• Installing the update

Although I am able to access to the Synology web interface, the Synology assistant is stating that my NAS is not configured, starting the configuration wizard after each discovery!

What should I do?

How can I set it to the regular "configured" state without breaking my working setup?

Thanx

• 2 weeks later...

Fishbob,

Just did it now, first on a real ds411j, then on my xpenology box. After the reboot the synology box appeared to have lost volume1. Did a reboot, same thing. Did a poweroff from ssh, waited a minute, powered back up, everything was ticketyboo.

The volume loss thing only happened on the xpenology box.

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...