XPEnology Community

XPEnology DSM 5.0-4493 Discussion / Bootloaders

NoX

Thanks for the update. Does iSCSI work 100% with this release?

i.e. I have a windows media center software on a HTPC Windows 8.1 and I want to record my tv shows on the NAS via iSCSI as WMC won't allow to put it a on network.

Thanks,

Kenn.

I've successfully upgraded my N54L from trantor 4.3 to Nanoboot 5.0.24 with pat 4493.

However booting is not so fast, takes a while.

I have my N54L with bios mod, intenal SATA to 5.25" rack, for hot-swap backup, hot plug a drive with a volume worked, but says "Not Initialized", rebooting fixes that.

It is possible to really hot-swap drives on Synology for backup puproses?

I backed up my HFS drives mounting it manually over SSH (like any linux distro). But I need a safe way to unplug volumes created by Synology.

Thanks for the update. Does iSCSI work 100% with this release?

i.e. I have a windows media center software on a HTPC Windows 8.1 and I want to record my tv shows on the NAS via iSCSI as WMC won't allow to put it a on network.

Thanks,

Kenn.

iSCSI works.

Only file level or also block level?

Thanks!

ema

Hi,

I'm sorry if it's already explained somewhere but I can't find explanations. I have 2 questions :

1) I'am actually on 5.0-4458 update 2 (gnoboot). What is the method to upgrade to 5.0-4493 ?

2) Is there any risk / problem as with 5.0-4482 update for data integrity ?

Thx to all. :wink:

I don't changed anything. Maybe Poechi?

I've checked the menu files:

kernel /zImage ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 syno_hw_version=DS3612xs sn=B3J4N01003 vid=0x0EA0 pid=0x2168 loglevel=0 vga=0x305 upgrade=5.0-4493

Seems correct.

Download a new version of Assistant.

With the newest version the same. For now I don't have VGA and can't check what going on. I will wait till my ordered VGA cable is here.

Well I can create blocklevel but connection is not working through iSCSI initiator Windows. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

No, it's not your fault, simply block level it's not working like in previous version (gnoboot, nanoboot)... they switched from IET to LIO...

From http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2152 >> Fixed - Broken block-level iSCSI (LIO), workaround enable IET in synoinfo.conf

Thanks!

ema

Now nanoboot is work on my ReadyNas Pro2, but not work power button hack ( acpi ), seems kernel has no acpi option on building ( no button module ).

I little unhappy, can only power off nas over gui, not from front button :sad:

ISCSI target work finally, good job !!

Do not update with the DSM gui.

You can use Nanoboot 5.0.2.2 but you have to alter the upgrade option in grub menu to 4493. You can also use new boot image.

There appears to be an issue with the x64 4493 image file. I tried multiple ways of restoring it to a boot usb, but I kept getting non-bootable disk error.

I ended up using the vfat image for 4482 and modified it for 4493.

Hi,

I'm sorry if it's already explained somewhere but I can't find explanations. I have 2 questions :

1) I'am actually on 5.0-4458 update 2 (gnoboot). What is the method to upgrade to 5.0-4493 ?

2) Is there any risk / problem as with 5.0-4482 update for data integrity ?

Thx to all. :wink:

Wrong topic to ask this above ?

Dear all,

im was running DSM 5.0-4482 with nanoboot on my ESXI.

I have three Disks:

1. IDE with VMDK Nanoboot

2. 16GB for System

3. 2TB RAW Device Map

But i decided to Upgrade to 4493. So this were the steps:

I uploaded the new Boot VMDK, deleted the old one, attached the new one as IDE.

During boot i choose "Install/Upgrade". I followed the instructions on the Web Gui and uploaded the 4493 PAT File (original from Synology) to "migrate". During the Upload my Computer(Laptop) is getting a "Bluescreen" so I think the Upload was not complete. Very strange my Thinkpad T530 is never getting a Bluescreen before :oops:

So I restarted the VM, and started the Upload a second time. At 55% it stucks with "unknown ecception".

Than i tested to use my old existing 4482 VMDK to boot (to look if it works) --> It works :smile:

Than i attached again the 4493 VMDK and booted it normaly. --> It also works. Also my GUI says that i am on Version 4493, but i'm not shure if this is true.

Any way to check the "true" version that is currently running? Any advises what I should do now?

Other Question: Is it possible to reinstall the whole System without deleating mit 2TB drive?

Very happy if i can get Help :smile: