XPEnology Community

Gen 8 - 1.02b - 6.1.7 Strange behavior after losing internet

cesarleeds

Hi people

I´m wondering if someone has experienced this kind of behavior before.

It is actually 2nd time this happens to me in a few weeks time.

Initially i was using a gen 8 with loader 1.03b (microcard) -DSM 6.2- 3615xs, so far so good.

On a certain night, internet connection got lost, and the Gen 8 stayed awake all night long with no internet.

When I woke up, restarted the router, I was not able at all to access Xpenology, shared folders were not accessible on my network, Find my Sinology didn´t work, Sinology assistant could see it but with an error.

At the end of the day, only solution I could find was extracting all data from internal disks to some external HDD and reinstall everything again.

This was not an automatic update, since that was disabled (and there was no internet available).

I decided not to upgrade this time, so I stayed on 1.02b-DSM 6.1.7.

Worked for a few weeks...same thing just happened again tonight, went to check if Xpenology had finished some task (just copying some big files to my computer), internet was gone, Xpenology too.

Later today i´ll start the reinstall process again, but I really need to find out how to prevent this from happening again.

1 hour ago, bearcat said:

Using DHCP or fixed IP on your NAS?

You *did* tr to reboot it after restaring your router?

Fixed IP both on the Nas settings and the router.

I manually rebooted, no luck.

Synology Assistant sees it, but there´s no way to fix it from there, i always get an "errors happened at the end of the process".

Ok, weirdest thing ever. 

I managed to make it work again after a hard reset on the modem, strangely all other devices were working, the Gen 8 wouldn't.

However after a few minutes working the modem will get kind of blocked, internet is gone. 

Switching the devices on the modem will get them an ip again, not for the Gen 8, this will need to be restarted and the modem will need a hard reset. 

It only happens when the Xpenology Gen 8 is connected, if I unplugged it the modem will work normally with no interruption. 

Never happened before, nothing changed on the settings previous to this issue. 

1 hour ago, Polanskiman said:

Defective cables perhaps?

I switched cables, it has to be something else.

I've added a gigabit switch, the Gen 8 goes straight to the router, while everything else runs through this switch. 

I think the issue might be the internal switch of the router, but is weird it was only the Gen 8 what triggers the whole thing. 

17 hours ago, cesarleeds said:

Fixed IP both on the Nas settings and the router.

So, you have set a fixed IP on your NAS, and I suppose you have set an IP reservation on your router?

Or have you defined the "fixed" IP on the router side on any other way?

If you reserve an adress for your NAS in your DHCP server, you should leave the NAS on DHCP, not use static in that end.

If you set a fixed IP on your NAS, use an adress outside the DHCP scope.

12 minutes ago, bearcat said:

So, you have set a fixed IP on your NAS, and I suppose you have set an IP reservation on your router?

Or have you defined the "fixed" IP on the router side on any other way?

If you reserve an adress for your NAS in your DHCP server, you should leave the NAS on DHCP, not use static in that end.

If you set a fixed IP on your NAS, use an adress outside the DHCP scope.

First of all I checked which IP my router initially assigned to the Xpenology - Gen 8.

I set that IP as fixed on Xpenology network settings.

Finally I reserved that IP and Mac Adress for Xpenology on my router settings.

Is this right? 

I don't think it is good practice to fix the IP on both ends. Reserving the IP with the associated mac address on your router is enough. Since it's the router serving the IP it will always serve the same IP to the MAC address you have associated with. You could also fix the IP on your NAS but leave the router DHCP server do its job without reserving the IPs.

Personally I configure my router with a reservation list of IP/MACs for my main permanent devices (NAS, Shield, switch, cameras). All other devices (mobile phones, pads etc) are not reserved as it is not necessary.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

I don't think it is good practice to fix the IP on both ends. Reserving the IP with the associated mac address on your router is enough. Since it's the router serving the IP it will always serve the same IP to the MAC address you have associated with. You could also fix the IP on your NAS but leave the router DHCP server do its job without reserving the IPs.

Personally I configure my router with a reservation list of IP/MACs for my main permanent devices (NAS, Shield, switch, cameras). All other devices (mobile phones, pads etc) are not reserved as it is not necessary.

I will follow your advice, configure my router with a reserved IP/Mac for Xpenology, while telling the Xpenology to get network configuration automatically instead of myself fixing it manually. 

9 hours ago, cesarleeds said:

I will follow your advice, configure my router with a reserved IP/Mac for Xpenology, while telling the Xpenology to get network configuration automatically instead of myself fixing it manually. 

Ok, after almost a day with everything working just fine and Xpenology online, internet was just gone again, so i tried this, internet worked for a few minutes, and then it was gone again.

What i did was first let Xpenology choose the IP, then reserve it on the router.

Without restarting the router, i unplugged the cables, plugged them again and internet was there for all my devices, except Xpenelogy.

So i restarted Xpenology, but it was not reachable, best i got was "connection error" on Synology assistant.

So i restarted the router, and et voila, Xpenology was online again.

For some reason i understand the router blocks Xpenology.

I´m starting to lose hope, it worked for almost a day, then it doesn´t work...and i can´t find a reason for this at all.

Edited by cesarleeds