XPEnology Community

File Copy Speed in Hyper-V with Nano Boat

orange8

HI,

I am using Hyper-V, pass-through disk with Nano Boat on DSM 5.0-4482. to copy from LAN to XPEnology is average 10mb/s, if I copy from the system drive to Xpenology is around 5mb/s.

is that the correct speed? anyway to get it working around 100mb/s?

I have cat 6 cable with asus rt-ac66u router....all with giga speed.... and direct copy from my windows to another computer is average 100mb/s.

thanks!

Are you saying you're only getting 10 mb/s = 1 MB/s transfer speed? That doesn't sound right. If you mean you are getting 10 MB/s transfer speed then check your network adapter setting it probably means it's set to 100 mb/s instead of Gigabit speed. Also in the virtual network adapter setting disable VMQ (Virtual Machine Queuing) it seems to slow down or make the network transfer erratic. I was getting around 25 MB/s with VMQ enable now I'm getting this:

Hyper_V_Rate.jpg

Not bad for 5400 rpm drives in SHR. I was never able to achieve that kind of speed when running ESXi (erratic 20-80 MB/s) which made me try out Hyper-V Server 2012 R2. So far I'm pretty impress with Hyper-V's performance and lower power usage (I measured around 7-8W lower) but I'm finding it very difficult to manage (no device manager are you kidding me!)

Can you please show us how to install nanoboot 5.0 on Hyper-V Server 2012 R2?

Thank you.

Poechi's link pretty much covers how to install Nanoboot on Hyper-V whether you are using Windows 8 w/Hyper-V, Windows Server w/Hyper-V, or pure Hyper-V server. The only difference is with Hyper-V server there is no GUI you have to set it up via the command line. Once it's setup though you can remotely manage the server using RSAT on a Windows 8 machine. This Guide here pretty much tells you how to do all the command line stuff so you can manage it using a GUI on another machine. Just remember Hyper-V Server 2012 requires Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 to manage, and Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 requires Windows 8.1 to manage.

sorry, I mean 10MB/s. I am using Windows 8.1 with Hyper-V. couln't find the setttings for VMQ :sad:

Are you saying you're only getting 10 mb/s = 1 MB/s transfer speed? That doesn't sound right. If you mean you are getting 10 MB/s transfer speed then check your network adapter setting it probably means it's set to 100 mb/s instead of Gigabit speed. Also in the virtual network adapter setting disable VMQ (Virtual Machine Queuing) it seems to slow down or make the network transfer erratic. I was getting around 25 MB/s with VMQ enable now I'm getting this:

Hyper_V_Rate.jpg

Not bad for 5400 rpm drives in SHR. I was never able to achieve that kind of speed when running ESXi (erratic 20-80 MB/s) which made me try out Hyper-V Server 2012 R2. So far I'm pretty impress with Hyper-V's performance and lower power usage (I measured around 7-8W lower) but I'm finding it very difficult to manage (no device manager are you kidding me!)

sorry, I mean 10MB/s. I am using Windows 8.1 with Hyper-V. couln't find the setttings for VMQ :sad:

Is your VM setup to use "Legacy Network Adapter"? If that's the case that would explain your 10MB/s speed and not seeing the VMQ setting. If you use the regular "Network Adapter" you should see and extra "Hardware Acceleration" option like this:

Hyper_V_VMQ.jpg

From my searching around VMQ can be beneficial in some configuration and in some usage scenario but in my particular system running Nanoboot it was causing problems.

I think Win 8.1 doesn't have this function enabled...I am using the fast network adapter. please see the attached pic...

Is your VM setup to use "Legacy Network Adapter"? If that's the case that would explain your 10MB/s speed and not seeing the VMQ setting. If you use the regular "Network Adapter" you should see and extra "Hardware Acceleration" option like this:

Hyper_V_VMQ.jpg

From my searching around VMQ can be beneficial in some configuration and in some usage scenario but in my particular system running Nanoboot it was causing problems.

593ef3b1e6d0d_Screenshot2014-06-0615_28_28.png.f289e0af1bbc3cdb0470e1f82ba2f437.png

• 10 months later...

I installed the xpenology in the hyperV 2012, and the SATA3 hdd is pass through. but the hyperV to xpenology transfer rate ONLY 20/MBs, what is wrong? Thanks

host config:

win2012 R2

4GB ram

32 GB SSD for host OS

dual lan (teaming Switch independent, hyperV port)

System config:

DSM 5.1-5022 update 4

NIC setting (static mac addr, VMQ enabled)

2 vCPU

1GB ram dynamic memory

HDD controller IDE and SCSI same result

WD 6TB 7200rpm Red series