XPEnology Community

Installation loop

Ultimate

Hi folks,

Currently I have the following hard/software:

Mainboard: ASRock 90-MXB4T0-A0UAYZ

HDDs: 10 * Seagate Ironwolf 4TB and 4 * 500GB DELL OEM (WD RE4)

SSDs: 2*128GB NVMe

CPU: Intel i3 6100

RAM: 8GB DDR4

Chassis: FANTEC SRC-3168X07

HBA: 2 * LSI SAS 9207-8i in IT mode

Loader: 1.03b

DSM: DS3615xs

I installed the server using the tutorial, it worked like multiple days. I had edited the synoinfo.conf for allowing 16 drives, and removed the e-sata ports from the beginning and restarted.

After 2 days of RAID sync, and another day of moving and sorting data from another HDD onto my NAS, I had to turn it off to move it from my desk to my server rack. After plugging everything back in and booting up, it booted into the installation screen. I was pretty pissed, but reinstalled again. RAID was degraded since synoinfo.conf was overwritten with the default one. Since then, every restart of the NAS reboots to installation, regardless of the installation before successfully completed.

Anything I can do to prevent this from happening, without loosing any data ?

Edited by Ultimate

6 hours ago, Ultimate said:

I installed the server using the tutorial, it worked like multiple days. 

Yes but did you reboot the box within those few days?

6 hours ago, Ultimate said:

Anything I can do to prevent this from happening, without loosing any data ?

Many reasons this could be happening. So here are a few shots in the dark.

Is your usb writable once plugged in your nas? Have you tried re-imaging the loader?

In your bios are all sata ports visible? Make sure to disable anything that is unnecessary.

If I was you I would start by doing some tests with a spare drive. Installing DSM and rebooting see if that happens. Then adding more drives.

Your data should be fine as it is stored on a different partition than the system. Reinstalling DSM does not erase user data.

14 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

Yes but did you reboot the box within those few days?

Yes, I restarted my NAS after it successfully builded the 4*500GB RAID10. I remembered I had to restart for the changes on synoinfo.conf to take effect.

14 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

Is your usb writable once plugged in your nas? Have you tried re-imaging the loader?

How do I test this? I mean I edited the synoinfo.conf which is located on the USB stick I guess?

15 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

In your bios are all sata ports visible? Make sure to disable anything that is unnecessary.

I completely disabled the OnBoard SATA ports since I dont need them anyway.

15 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

If I was you I would start by doing some tests with a spare drive. Installing DSM and rebooting see if that happens. Then adding more drives.

I dont have any drives left currently for testing except one 500GB one that is laying around here. 

I will try with reflash the USB stick, and start over with this single drive. Any idea how I can import the existing RAID6 (10*4TB) and the existing RAID10(4*500GB) arrays after I tried it with the single drive?