XPEnology Community

[ANDROID] [TASKER] Device Backup To NAS - Back up your device information to a local NAS

DESCRIPTION

If you have a NAS (Network Attached Storage), this project can help you to keep all your important information in a save place, like: photos, contacts, apps backups (data), and many more. It also leaves a copy in your SDCard to minimize the chances of accidental data loss.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

To download the latest version of the project you can go here. Enjoy it ;)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Features:

· The whole process is fully tracked by a realtime log.

· You will be notified for each backup state and event: nice icons, progress bar, specific info about backup success or errors, etc.·

· Keep a copy on the SDCard if something goes wrong during the process, or if the NAS fails for whatever reason.

· Know how much increased or decreased the backup size from previous one. (shown in log)

· Know the current transfer speed during files transfer. (shown as Mb/s) (thanks to @MeloProfessional for providing a way to get it: original project)

· Schedule your backups by date and time. (enable the profile manually)

· Countdown scenes with pause and cancel buttons

· For root and no root devices (*)

This project includes an Initial Setup task that needs to be executed when it is imported from TaskerNet

(It can be deleted after imported)

Notes:

- To use this project you will need the following: AutoNotification, AutoTools and Synchronize Ultimate app.

- It does not back up apps data, contacts, sms, or things like that by itself. It works by transfering all the content (files and folders) from backed up info collected from other specific apps, to a specific path inside the NAS.

- Disabled actions means them are just optional, and some of them will be disabled by default to work on unrooted devices.

- All the actions labeled with 'yellow' colour are the ones that you will need to set to make the project work for your device.

- * It can work for unrooted devices, but some features won't be available, like: measuring the transfer speed in real time.

DEMO

Spoiler

Edited by Polanskiman
Added spoiler. OP was too long.
  • Like 1

Thank you very much for this idea and solution! It looks very nice!
I will have a deeper look if I got some time. :-)

May I ask if you use rsync for the copy process? I use for backup and recovery a combination of Titanium Backup (for full backup of all apps including the data) and a rsync of the internal sdcard to the NAS afterwards (made with shell scripts and no graphical output). So I have all data including apps with data pictures and so on available for a full restore.

Edited by Balrog

CHANGELOG (v1.1)

- New: Now ext. SDCard ID is retrieved and set dynamically, so you don't need to set '%sdcard' variable anymore (**).

- New: Setup video for project and Synchronize Ultimate App.

- Other: Updated 'Resources (ZIP)'.

- Other: Minor changes for some shown log's messages, labels and other little things.

15 hours ago, Balrog said:

Thank you very much for this idea and solution! It looks very nice!
I will have a deeper look if I got some time. :-)

May I ask if you use rsync for the copy process? I use for backup and recovery a combination of Titanium Backup (for full backup of all apps including the data) and a rsync of the internal sdcard to the NAS afterwards (made with shell scripts and no graphical output). So I have all data including apps with data pictures and so on available for a full restore.

Hi, nice to hear that it liked you. Hope it helps you, and other user to keep phone files a bit safer.

Regarding to  your question, the project currently creates a zipped copy from source files every time, and sends it to the NAS is the net is available. But the idea of using rsync to maximize the speed, would be great to apply. I will try to implement it for next releases

And about Titanium Backup, yeah. Me too. I use its scheduler to automatically back up some apps data. Then, the project helps me to move them to the NAS.

Note: I'm currently working on another project that will allow us to backup apps + data like Titanium Backup does currently. So, when released (do not know when, as I have other projects in the queue), at least the part of backing up apps with TB, could be replaced using my project, so we could avoid installing TB for that porpuse.

• Thanks 1