XPEnology Community

Newbie questions regarding XPEnology on HP N54L

hgpuke

Hi fellow XPEnologists!

I am currently an owner of a Synology Diskstation DS411 running DSM 5.0, of which I am very happy.

However, as I am getting a new fast fiber-connection to my home, I would like to upgrade to something that can serve web-pages such as Wordpress and PhotoStation a lot faster than the single-core ARM CPU of the DS411 can acheive.

Looking at the various DS models available, I've come to the conclusion that you would have to pay A LOT to get a 4-bay DS with an x86 CPU (which I think is what is needed).

Therefore, I stumbled upon XPEnology and saw that it can run an a HP Proliant N54L which is less than half the price of a, say DS413+. Also, I think it is slightly more powerful. Right?

Before embarking on this route, I would like to ask you with experience with XPEnology a couple of questions:

• Will a HP N54L running XPEnology have all the functionality that my current DS411 with DSM 5.0 has?
  • Am I right assuming that the HP will be a lot faster serving web-pages, such as Wordpress and PhotoStation, than my DS411?
  • How would I go about transferring the content of my DS411 to the new HP?
  • What do I need to be aware of, before embarking on this route?

Thanks for any help you can get me!

Hans-Göran Puke, Sweden

Hi fellow XPEnologists!

I am currently an owner of a Synology Diskstation DS411 running DSM 5.0, of which I am very happy.

However, as I am getting a new fast fiber-connection to my home, I would like to upgrade to something that can serve web-pages such as Wordpress and PhotoStation a lot faster than the single-core ARM CPU of the DS411 can acheive.

Looking at the various DS models available, I've come to the conclusion that you would have to pay A LOT to get a 4-bay DS with an x86 CPU (which I think is what is needed).

Therefore, I stumbled upon XPEnology and saw that it can run an a HP Proliant N54L which is less than half the price of a, say DS413+. Also, I think it is slightly more powerful. Right?

Before embarking on this route, I would like to ask you with experience with XPEnology a couple of questions:

• Will a HP N54L running XPEnology have all the functionality that my current DS411 with DSM 5.0 has?Yes, but it will miss seamless upgrades. Every new upgrade/update will require manual intervention.
  • Am I right assuming that the HP will be a lot faster serving web-pages, such as Wordpress and PhotoStation, than my DS411?Yes. It will be noticeable faster.
  • How would I go about transferring the content of my DS411 to the new HP?Either build a new system and backup/restore, or move the drives and perform migration. Backup is needed in any scenario.
  • What do I need to be aware of, before embarking on this route? You are losing the official support and any guarantees. There is a chance that you will be stack with the latest (today) version and the next versions may not be available.

Thanks for any help you can get me!

Hans-Göran Puke, Sweden

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks,

I have now purchased a N54L and installed XPEnology/Nanoboot 5.0-4493 on it.

And WOW, this thing is fast! On AFP (Apple File Protocol) transfers, I get 100 MB/s read/write, which means that I am saturating the 1Gb/s Ethernet interface.

I never expected it to be THAT fast...

:grin:

And running Plex on it also works really great. I am glad I found out about XPEnology!

Thanks to everyone that has made this possible!