XPEnology Community

Upgrade of DSM versions

bsergiu

Hi there,

I was googling a lot inside and outside this forum, in order to find a way to upgrade XPenology DSM.

I am having 4.1 and would like to go to 4.3 without data loss. I understand that there is always a risk of data loss, as this is not a commercial product. But still, assuming I have done my back-up, I want to upgrade in a way that would not wipe my data ( unless sh#&*t happens :smile: ) .

Can somebody point me to the right procedure to do that? Is that possible at all ?

Thanks y lot in advance for advices,

Sergiu

Salut Sergiu,

E chiar simplu.

Take nanoboot (last version), write it on another USB stick, and boot it.

After boot, use the latest .pat file (4482) and try to upgrade your DSM with Synology Assistant or the WebGUI. The system will mention if your data is migrant able or not. You can continue (there is ALWAYS a risk) or you can cancel the upgrade.

And by the way, there is always a risk with standard Syno boxes and original DSM, but definitively the risk is is smaller.

Succes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Finally, got some time. Did my back-up of the custom-made xpenology with DSM 4.1 on a DS114, so I was clear for the update.

The upgrade from 4.1 to 5.0 + Upd1 + Upd2 using Nanoboot image WENT WELL !!! I did not experience any problems (which does not mean that others will also not have problems ...). One known thing: you need to give yourself again permissions for the shared folders

Now, USB3 is working fine on my ASRock Atom board and I have the new Synology features.

I have followed the instructions here https://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~ddet/tutorials/tutorial-xpenology-update-von-aelteren-versionen/, and also checked xpenology.nl for the files.

Last but not least: when I shot down my "old" xpenology for the upgrde, the status window was reporting 365 Days Up-Time, status Good, drives Healthy.

A BIG Thank You both to the enthusiasts here as well as Synology team for delivering us a pleasant NAS experience!!!!!!

Cheers

Sergiu