XPEnology Community

Can i Change from default nginx(1.12.1) to other nginx

example, default nginx version is 1.12.1 in DSM 6.2

Now I want to stream media with rtmp. But default 1.12.1 does not support. 

so I want to use nginx to support rtmp module. (there is at public forum.)

is there method to change as another one?

At Widows, Just stop nginx. and replace to new nginx.exe. 

I think reinstalling Web Station will have no effect on nginx's version. Maybe I am wrong. nginx is part of DSM core and is not installed with Web Station as far as am aware. I haven't checked though. He would need to update DSM to DSM 6.2.2 in order to update nginx.

In my test VM instance of DSM 6.2-23739 (DS3615xs) I have this version installed:

root@test:~# nginx -V
nginx version: nginx/1.13.3
TLS SNI support enabled

In my test VM instance of DSM 6.2-23739 Update 2 (DS3617x) I have the same version installed:

root@jun103b3617xs:~# nginx -V
nginx version: nginx/1.13.3
TLS SNI support enabled

Installing Web Station had no effect on the versions of ngnix and Web Station was never installed before. So I tried updating to DSM 6.2.1 on the DS3617x instance to check nginx's version but I forgot that I needed the e1000e module so the update ended up in a kernel panic. Then I realised that was stupid as I could have checked the binaries inside the PAT file. In DSM 6.2.1 ngnix is still v1.13.3 so I think he should update to at least DSM 6.2.2  to update ngnix to a higher version.

I was able to update the version of nginx on DSM_DS3617xs_23739 by simply extracting the nginx binary from DSM_DS3617xs_24922 PAT file and replacing the default one with the newer version. This said it will not solve your problem as you need rtmp and that's not configured in DSM's nginx. Also even if this worked it would not survive a DSM update. Therefore what you want to do can be done but with docker, as your link suggests. I didn't look into detail your link but it seem feasible so give it a shot and let us know.

I am by no means an expert in the area so if anyone can provide more technical information please chime in.

28 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

I was able to update the version of nginx on DSM_DS3617xs_23739 by simply extracting the nginx binary from DSM_DS3617xs_24922 PAT file and replacing the default one with the newer version. This said it will not solve your problem as you need rtmp and that's not configured in DSM's nginx. Also even if this worked it would not survive a DSM update. Therefore what you want to do can be done but with docker, as your link suggests. I didn't look into detail your link but it seem feasible so give it a shot and let us know.

I am by no means an expert in the area so if anyone can provide more technical information please chime in.

thanks. i added rtmp part in nginx

conf. but not working. so must be compile with module. default nginx does not support module. 

as you say, i need to set docker with ngnix rtmp module. thanks a lot.