XPEnology Community

[GUIDE] Nanoboot ESXi 5.5.0 Perfect Install

For sure I should upgrade my hardware.

But I’m still worried about the nanoboot vm: loading the kernel and doing nothing (DSM not even deploy) uses 5 times more CPU on my host than all my others vm (with many services running):

For example:

- Freebsd 8.x : 40MHz when idle

- Ubuntu 11.4: 20MHz when idle

- Windows 2012: 10MHz when idle

I don’t like to waste energy :wink:

Could you guys check host CPU usage when idle with the vpshere client ?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm trying to follow this guide, and got most of the way through but the DSM install posted an error.

I'm not certain that I downloaded all the correct files. The first link, for Nanoboot, is to another post; viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3052

That post suggests a link at the start (http://nanoboot.tk/) which redirects me to different websites:

https://s.arclk.net/tr?id=0a7de13ba568f ... 1409865505

http://www.holidaydiscountcentre.co.MOD ... medium=cpc

http://seqzz.rewardzone.sonscarecrow.MO ... NSX.-r6201

That's rather worrying. (I modified them so that they don't work in the post. )

There are another 3 links on the page suggesting where the Nanoboot img file can be downloaded. The most official looking one is in Chinese http://www.colafile.com/u/sancome/f/16285

I'm trying to install this using ESXi 5.1 on a HP N54L, rather than on ESXi 5.5.0 - but coupe reported that it worked there.

Is colafile.com the best place to download Nanoboot?

Is the problem with http://nanoboot.tk only on my machine, or do others have the same problem with that link?

Many Thanks,

dcb

• 1 month later...

Could I resize my virtual Disk (Volume1)?

Hi,

at the moment I've got working XPEnology system with 3 HDs on ESXI:

Volume1: 16GB (virtual ESXI disk on SSD) [i used some SSD Datastore space for volume1 as suggested by LeeBear.]

Volume2: 3TB RDM HD

Volume3: 4TB RDM HD

Now I wonder if I can resize the virtual HD up to e.g. 32GB (I thought about putting the cloud station with 70000+ files on the SSD).

I don't want to break my working server ...

best regards,

Christian

I've been running DSM5 on my HP N54L as a bare metal install and this thread inspired me to try to run it on ESXi 5.5. I added a hard drive, installed ESXi 5.5 to it with a datastore, created a nanoboot VMDK and uploaded it to the datastore, created a VM and was able to boot the VM with no hard drives for data.

What I have not been able to do is to add virtual RDM drives to the VDM since the VMDK files do not show up in the dialog for Add -> Hard Disk -> Use existing virtual disk.

Here are the screen dumps from creating the virtual RDM files in a SSH session.

~ # ls /dev/disks

t10.ATA_____SAMSUNG_HD753LJ_________________________S13UJ1KPC25795______

t10.ATA_____SAMSUNG_HD753LJ_________________________S13UJ1KPC25795______:1

t10.ATA_____SAMSUNG_HD753LJ_________________________S13UJ1KPC25795______:2

t10.ATA_____SAMSUNG_HD753LJ_________________________S13UJ1KPC25795______:3

~ # vmkfstools -z /vmfs/devices/disks/t10.ATA_____SAMSUNG_HD753LJ_________________________S13UJ1KPC25795______ /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/Samsung750G.vmdk

Update: I tried recreating the virtual RDM VMDK files and this time it worked so I must have done something wrong the first time around!

• 2 weeks later...

I am using my TS140 solely to serve files over CIFS and have no packages installed. With 1GB of memory allocated in ESXi, I see 9% RAM utilization when first booted and it shows up at 75% in a couple of days. I don't know if it went up suddenly or slowly over time but am wondering if any of the ESXi users have seen something similar.

Thanks.

Edited by Guest

• 2 months later...
Thanks for the guide LeeBear! Thanks too you I'm now up and running on ESXI with no errors at all. Even SMART works perfectly! :grin:

I have one question though.. did you ever install vmware tools? I've read about people doing so with gnoBoot, but does anyone here have any experience with it with NanoBoot?

Hi NeoID

I am really interested to know how you do to have SMART available with ESXi ? what is your configuration ?

Thanks for your help :smile:

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the guide LeeBear! Thanks too you I'm now up and running on ESXI with no errors at all. Even SMART works perfectly! :grin:

I have one question though.. did you ever install vmware tools? I've read about people doing so with gnoBoot, but does anyone here have any experience with it with NanoBoot?

Hi NeoID

I am really interested to know how you do to have SMART available with ESXi ? what is your configuration ?

Thanks for your help :smile:

Sorry about the late reply.

The only thing I did was to pass-throught the whole LSI SATA controller to the particular VM instead of using RDMs. Works perfectly without further changes (as far as I remember).

• 6 months later...

Hi Everybody,

First of all thanks to Leebeer for the great tutorial.

One question though, I have been using this tutorial for a while now and it works perfectly but one thing that does not seem to work is the hiding of the bootdrive.

I change the config file as explained and save it etc. but still it shows the first slot as used and available for initialisation, my first actual drive is drive 4.

Not sure what I am doing wrong, the previous vodka file I have downloaded from xpenology.com just worked, without any adaptation so it is definitely vmdk related.

I also extracted the config file from the working vodka and it looks the same as the one I am using now (same adaptation).

Anybody tips on what I am doing wrong??

Hi Everybody,

First of all thanks to Leebeer for the great tutorial.

One question though, I have been using this tutorial for a while now and it works perfectly but one thing that does not seem to work is the hiding of the bootdrive.

I change the config file as explained and save it etc. but still it shows the first slot as used and available for initialisation, my first actual drive is drive 4.

Not sure what I am doing wrong, the previous vodka file I have downloaded from xpenology.com just worked, without any adaptation so it is definitely vmdk related.

I also extracted the config file from the working vodka and it looks the same as the one I am using now (same adaptation).

Anybody tips on what I am doing wrong??

I had the same issue before adding

rmmod=ata_piix

to my boot image param. Verify that syslinux.cfg has been updated and that the boot image is added as a IDE drive.

I recommend to take a look at my guide: http://idmedia.no/general/installing-or ... -or-later/

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have a small problem with the network setting of my Xpenology DSM, where it keeps getting the wrong ip.addr. I installed it, according to your super guide, using xpenoboot XPEnoboot 5.2-5592.2 DS3615xs and everything seemed to work perfect. But afterwards I changed my router, and now the DSM is stuck at a wrong ip.addr.

So how do I change the ip.addr, either to dhcp or to a fixed ip.addr?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I changed my router gateway to the old ip.range, and was able to log into the dcm again. There I could re-enable dhcp, but I would still very much like to know hov I can achieve this in a ssh-console..?

• 1 month later...

Followed the guide. Everything went well. Only issue is installation of the PAT. It's as if it's no sticking. The file transfers and everything looks like it should. But ultimately I end up back in the upgrade screens again. It's as if something isn't persistent. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

Hi

Thanks for the post. Actually I did follow it to install the latest "XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5644.4". Everything went fine except for what is one of the main reason of these steps:

when you are done there won't be any extra "unused" disk showing up in DSM

I did modify the syslinux.cfg adding “rmmod=ata_piix” at the end of the lines and result is what you see below. I believe I needed to put at the end of each APPEND line which contains the different options.

LABEL xpenology

MENU LABEL XPEnology DSM 5.2-5644

KERNEL /zImage

APPEND root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 syno_hw_version=DS3615xs sn=B3J4N01003 vid=0x0EA0 pid=0x2168 loglevel=0 vga=0x305 rmmod=ata_piix

LABEL debug

MENU LABEL XPEnology DSM 5.2-5644 Debug

KERNEL /zImage

APPEND root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 syno_hw_version=DS3615xs sn=B3J4N01003 vid=0x0EA0 pid=0x2168 loglevel=0 vga=0x305 debug=1 rmmod=ata_piix

LABEL install

MENU LABEL XPEnology DSM 5.2-5644 Install/Upgrade

KERNEL /zImage

APPEND root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 syno_hw_version=DS3615xs sn=B3J4N01003 vid=0x0EA0 pid=0x2168 loglevel=0 vga=0x305 upgrade=5.2-5644 rmmod=ata_piix

When I get into DSM Storage Manage I do see both the 32gb volume1 for OS and apps and the small nanoboot vmdk.

I am not sure I have done something wrong.

Thanks

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello maybe a stupit question but keep getting to the same thing...

I got a ESX 5.5 environment with Vcenter.

I got 1 datastore coming from a server 2012 ISCSI server.

i got 1 SSD in the device(Used for software based flash pernixdata)

Further i have no Local storage in the device itself.

I create the vm with the ISCSI storage (1 disk) and than start the VM

Than i connect the ISO image wich is on my computer and can start the installation.

After a couple of seconds i get the ip adres what i can reach it on.

I go there and click custom install and click the coresponding image.

It is installing and after 100% it reboots.

But when it reboots it is stuck with a _ in the left top corner......

Can someone help me and maybe confirm that my setup is posible?

Or is there local storage needed in the ESX-i machine wich is not presented as a Datastore or maybe even is presented as a datastore?

Hope to hear soon as i would love this to work :smile:

In case of a Teamviewer session that is posible or need screen shots.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...