XPEnology Community

[ASUSTOR]

iman

I tried to boot the kernel but I on boot sequence appears error " could not mount the flash memory SPI "- asustor uses a flash chip spi - in my virtual machine, I have no emulation this interface only ata and ide, so booting virtual asustor is impossible for me.

• 2 weeks later...
my command line with qemu :

qemu-system-x86_64 -k fr -m 1024 -hda ADM.img -kernel bzImage -initrd initramfs -net nic -net user

still a problem with the network, I can not have "eth0" interface but otherwise it runs.

Hi !

Could you help more write about that ?

when i trying boot adm from qemu i got in console message:

starting lcmd

can't get platform model error ffffffFb

stormand: Try to get the booting device! (-19,1)

stormand: Try to get the booting device! (-19,59)

stormand: Reactivate nas strorage system: -335

lsmod appears only one kernel module:

asleddrv 17402 0 - Live 0xffffffffa0000000 (PO)

I have very less qemu skill :smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

in fact, I used qemu because my processor does not allow me to make virtualization 64bit processor. Now I have tested it on another computer that allows it. Anyway, the boot on initramfs / bzImage is very nice (and it works very minimalist), but must be able to start on a disk ... with some content. Because builtin.tgz must be in the same tree as the initramfs and have can not record directly into the initramfs.   In the hard disk should have the initramfs as well as a "grub", which he, the bzimage load. The builtin.tgz is unpacked to the root ... I think. For not all the errors that you might have to start messages, you must unzip the builtin.tgz because it is he who has the most applications "asustor".

I'm trying to see why I can not chroot this virtual hard drive and resolve and then install grub and bzimage ... I see the source code to github.

after having successfully chroot on my virtual disk and install some very useful command, I attack, before anything else, to restore all broken links and it's very long ...

I keep my fingers crossed for your work and I look forward to the virtual disk image with the fully operating ADM OS :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Synology, Qnap, Asustor, each has its good, but so far it seems Asustor ports a lot more app add-on, especially XBMC which is missing from Synology builds, so just like some others, I also hope that this project would go live soon so we have more choices to either connecting directly to NAS using Asustor or connecting to NAS through browsers using Xpenology...

I just dropped asustor yet. Basically, my project was to make a nas server on a cubietruck. the arm so. and after much research, I am now doing a test install xen / linaro in dom0 and domu in xpenology.

Sorry to hear that :shock:

Do you share the results of their work - maybe someone will continue to work ?

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
I just dropped asustor yet. Basically, my project was to make a nas server on a cubietruck. the arm so. and after much research, I am now doing a test install xen / linaro in dom0 and domu in xpenology.

Sorry to hear that :shock:

Do you share the results of their work - maybe someone will continue to work ?

any new informatin i would love to see this go forward would love to help let me know

• 1 year later...
On 4/14/2016 at 5:44 AM, CtrlAltDel said:

It would be interesting to hear how this project is going or if there is a dedicated project elsewhere? The Asustor ADM (DSM) is very similar to Synology and supports a wide range of packages.

Edit here's a link to the Asustor ADM > http://www.asustor.com/live_demo.

This would be an awesome project,  I would love to use the HDMI port direct to my TV  so I can use xbmc with DLNA. 

Hope you guys can get back on it... 

• 1 month later...

Asustor Overview https://www.asustor.com/admv2?type=1&subject=1&sub=101

Version 3 Live Demo https://www.asustor.com/live_demo

Packages/Apps https://www.asustor.com/app_central/

It looks like Synology will be signing the core elements of their DSM which is probably going to make it difficult to continue with Xpenology solutions moving forward. Maybe Asustor warrants some investigation as a viable alternative? If some of the smart folk in the community are interested perhaps someone or a team could do some exploration and hopefully create a package for testing?

I'm too stupid to attempt it myself so I'm throwing it out there for the guys with the skills. :)

Judging by their latest developments I would be amazed if they don't start implementing signed code at least for core scripts etc.

They are also trying to move towards a subscription/licensing based model for packages like MailPlus etc. and I expect the office apps will go the same way, once they mature a little more - which kills it for personal use for the majority of people imho. I guess Synology may offer a limited number of free user accounts like they have with MailPlus. In reality how many people will want to pay £250 for 5 extra licenses or £1000 for 25? You can setup a server running Round Cube or Squirrel mail for free without too much difficulty. They may not offer some of the features but they sure as hell could handle plenty of mail for a good number of users.

ISPConfig is a free and feature rich web hosting control panel which can manage user accounts and webmail etc. https://www.ispconfig.org/ it's obviously not as easy to set-up and manage as Synology DSM. Regular NAS storage is absent, but you can install any of the apps that can run on a lamp stack and it will run on any old hardware pretty much or in a VM.

Asustor's ADM looks like it comes closest to the Synology DSM experience and could offer an alternative solution in the event that Xpenology stalls based on the nest DSM release? My gut feeling is that there will be no sure way of implementing future versions of the DSM on rough hardware. I will be happy to be proven wrong though! It would be cool if this community could change with the times, even if it requires a change in the code base to keep us all entertained. 

Edited by CtrlAltDel

• 3 years later...