XPEnology Community

Witch one should i install?

Werter

I tryed out trantors XPEnology DS3612xs DSM 4.3 build 3810++ (repack v1.0) on an old computer. Now i hav bought a newer computer and want to cnow witch relelise i should go with? Nanoboot gnooboot or trantor? Going to use usb method. New to all this. And where can i find info on changing the maximum disk from 12 to higher? And please post the links to the files needed like the imge and the pat file :smile:

WOW, you have a thimble full of patience don't you. Whilst waiting for somebody to try and help, I would suggest you take a read through some of the relevant topics on the forum. Who knows you may just find what you are asking has already been answered.

I've been trying to figure this out myself. It depends on what you want, the latest version or a stable version.

I tested trantors 4.3 3827 beta8 and successfully installed and added update 2 on a gigabyte GA-M68M-S2 with an AMD E2350.

The trantor is at least beta whereas gnoboot is alpha which I'm assuming is less stable? Although this is I guess largely down to the authors opinion on alpha/beta/ stable.

I for one am not too keen on DSM 5.0 so will be aiming to stay with the latest stable version of 4.3. What I'm not sure of is if gnoboot 10.5 will work with any version of DSM 4.3 & 5.0.

I think gnoboot can use vanilla DSM .pat file whereas trantor repacks/modifies his.

Nanoboot is Chinese of unknown origin so I'm unsure of using that.

Someone please chip in if any of the above is nonsense/wrong. It's just what I've picked up from these posts.

And you are still OK that the original Synology and DSM of the Chinese origin?

It amazes me how media brainwashes people and create the hysteria like "Chinese hackers", "Russian Mafia" etc...

Want to feel really safe? Use the official software, until they found next hidden vulnerabilities in well trusted close source software.

Please don't reply to this runt, I am just venting the frustration and do not want to start the flame-war.

I've been trying to figure this out myself. It depends on what you want, the latest version or a stable version.

I tested trantors 4.3 3827 beta8 and successfully installed and added update 2 on a gigabyte GA-M68M-S2 with an AMD E2350.

The trantor is at least beta whereas gnoboot is alpha which I'm assuming is less stable? Although this is I guess largely down to the authors opinion on alpha/beta/ stable.

I for one am not too keen on DSM 5.0 so will be aiming to stay with the latest stable version of 4.3. What I'm not sure of is if gnoboot 10.5 will work with any version of DSM 4.3 & 5.0.

I think gnoboot can use vanilla DSM .pat file whereas trantor repacks/modifies his.

Someone please chip in if any of the above is nonsense/wrong. It's just what I've picked up from these posts.

well i want somthing stable butt whats is the diffrence off 4.3 and 5.0?

butt i still want the latest like everybody else :smile:

They're all stable.

If you've read anything on the forums though you'll see nanoboot's is using a legacy by-pass to get around volumes crashing. It works fine but it's not the best solution.

If you're not in a rush I dare say Trantor will release his own DSM 5 in a month or two with an up to date fix. However this project moves along at break neck speed and it's very easy to upgrade so you may as well as well get on the wagon now.

Here's a bunch of tutorial's from one of the forum members. The guides may not be written for the latest version of nanoboot et el but the process is still the same.

http://cyanlabs.co.uk/tutorials

They're all stable.

If you've read anything on the forums though you'll see nanoboot's is using a legacy by-pass to get around volumes crashing. It works fine but it's not the best solution.

If you're not in a rush I dare say Trantor will release his own DSM 5 in a month or two with an up to date fix. However this project moves along at break neck speed and it's very easy to upgrade so you may as well as well get on the wagon now.

Here's a bunch of tutorial's from one of the forum members. The guides may not be written for the latest version of nanoboot et el but the process is still the same.

http://cyanlabs.co.uk/tutorials

i have installed the Nanoboot 5.0.2.4-fat.img and the DSM 5.0-4482 pat file from the forum "Trial of Nanoboot (4482) - 5.0.2.4"

and it works. have only tested it whit 2 wd 36gig disks. can i uppgrade to trantors img when he releses it? or is it the pat file i have to uppdate?

Using the cyanlabs guide to upgrade from gnoboot to nanoboot, that's the kind of procedure you'll need when Trantor/anyone else releases a proper hacked version.

The PAT file will almost certainly change yes but they'll be no loss of data,