XPEnology Community

How can I read the USB drive in windows?

gquiring

Question

I had a working 5.x boot.  I created a new USB stick for 6.x.  It's not working at all with 6.x.  I would like to see the grub.cfg file on my working USB drive.  When I insert the drive in Win 10 it does not assign a drive letter.  Is there a utility that I could use to mount the drive or image the drive so I can mount the image with OSFmount.  

8 answers to this question

It's not an issue at this point.  I got Jun's loader to work.  My 5.x system was using a different loader (not Jun's).  With Jun's loader I had to disable UEFI in the bios which solved the problem.  I was able to load DSM 6.2.  

You can use OSFMount x64 to mount the image thus allowing you to modify its content. You can then burn the image again to your pen drive.

On 9/12/2017 at 5:59 PM, Polanskiman said:

4 - Now launch OSFMount. Select Mount New, then select the image file you downloaded earlier (i.e. .img extension file) to open. Now select partition 0 (the one that is 15 MB). Click Ok. Then at the bottom of the window make sure to un-tick the "Read only drive". Click Ok. The partition should now be mounted in file explorer. At this point you can navigate to the /grub directory and edit the grub.cfg file.

If you need to replace the extra.lzma ramdisk with the custom ramdisk provided above then you will also need to mount partition 1 (the one that is 30 MB).

For your information nothing is modified in the grub.cfg file during boot. If for some reason you used the Grub Boot Menu during boot to configure the loader then data would be stored in a file called "grubenv" which is located at the same level than the grub.cfg file.

Now what you need is to access your pen drive.  You should actually be able to access it through windows 10, at least the first partition where the grub.cfg file is located. Have you tried unplugging and replugging the pen drive?

В 31.05.2019 в 16:00, gquiring сказал:

I had a working 5.x boot.  I created a new USB stick for 6.x.  It's not working at all with 6.x.  I would like to see the grub.cfg file on my working USB drive.

In version 5.x there was no grub.cfg file and was file isolinux.cfg, with the content:

Скрытый текст

2146427543_.thumb.png.8d0ed8dc76e84183a343df81add90ce5.png

What do you want to see there? Better try to install version 6.1.7.

Edited by Olegin