XPEnology Community

NTFS internal drive

tomhanman

Hello, sorry to be a bother,

I have just built a nas on an old atom board I had. It works, and even now runs my ipcam. So thank you.

It currently just has an 80G drive from a laptop in it plus the USB.

I have a 500G NTFS format data drive in my shared drive full of music, films, docs backups etc. I don't have anywhere else to copy this media to in order to reformat the drive in a funny linux format.

Can I simply plug the drive into one of the internal sata connections and share the drive in its current format?

I did search for an answer to this question, but failed. I'm sorry if I missed something blatant.

Please put me straight and I'll go away and leave you all in peace!

Thanks,

Tom.

Hi, thanks for the suggestions.

That posting lost me in the first line... so I thought best not to try!

Instead I spent the night copying everything to five different drives, and back again after installing DSM.

It is still copying. Uploading appears to be very slow, transfer seems to peak at 15MB/sec and fall to about 1MB/sec averaging at about 5MB/sec. Is this to be expected? (the pc uploading is powerful and connected with full signal to WIFI-N at 300, NAS is a GA-GC230D board with a 1.6Ghz single core Atom first generation proc, 2G ram, sata 3gb/s and 10/100 ethernet port passing through 10/100 router)

This is just a test setup with what I had for free. Where is the bottleneck, and what do I need to improve for the next version... it is difficult to understand because nothing seems to be topping out - ram is supposedly at 6% proc at 36%.

Cheers,

Tom.

I would replace the "WIFI-N at 300" with a cable to the 10/100 router and check if it's faster. Or it might be the connection mode you are using. Are you seeing the DSM on your PC as a network drive? (displayed as "\\DSM" or the name you gave it in Windows Explorer/Total Commander...)

Hi ccris,

Thanks, I have it as a mapped drive and as a network location. I can't do away with the wifi. Speeds seem to be okish now. dragging and dropping in windows to and from the network drive gives me about 8meg max transfers. Which is not stinging, but it works! Now I have to work out haw to set up access from outside the local network. my router doesn't seem to be compatible for auto setup, and I really don't understand much about udp tcp or the rest... nice sunday afternoon fun!