XPEnology Community

How to install XPEnology

w00t

Just to understand how this works; where is the data stored when installing the *.pat file using Assistant?

The flashdrive needs to be removed and afterwards the harddisks config can be changed.

So where is this *.pat data stored? Is there any hidden data partition or so?

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question. I've been trying to install Xpenology, but have been unsuccessful so far. When booting from USB, it keeps hanging at the following:

[sdu] Attached SCSI Disk

It will get that far every time and then just hang. A few lines up, it references sdu as the USB stick. I've now tried three (3) different flash drives and every time it hangs at this step in the install/loading process. What am I missing here? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hello,

I have XPEnology installed and working great (now) on my server. However, a few clarifying questions if someone wouldn't mind chiming in.

I have an Intel MB and a RocketRAID controller. Since the DSM software was not recognizing my 4 HDDs connected to the RocketRAID controller, I connected them to the MB directly which worked (but still 1 HDD not recognized, troubleshooting for next night :wink: ).

Questions:

1 - Does DSM handle hardware RAID 1 option? In the RocketRAID utility BIOS software, I have the option to create RAID 1 (and/or other RAIDs) or to treat all HDDs as just one combined storage bin. In other words, how would I set it up via the RAID controller?

2 - Do I even need the RAID controller for the purposes of DSM? I have a feeling the SHR or what may be RAID 5? that DSM software utilizes is software based and not hardware priority?

3 - Does someone have an easy guide how I could test out the RocketRAID 2640x4 drivers myself with DSM 5.0 beta? Also which drivers from this driver page should I download and use with DSM for testing purposes?

Thank you so much in advance for the help!

This community rocks!

~Atrio

I've successfully installed XPEnology on a regular pc to speed up my transfer i added 2 PCI network cards (Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter). When I try to make a bond it doesn't work ik get the error Failed to establish IEEE 802.3ad connection. I have a TP-Link switch TL-SG1005D but I can't find whether the switch is the problem or the network card. I am using the B75M-D3V mobo.

I've successfully installed XPEnology on a regular pc to speed up my transfer i added 2 PCI network cards (Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter). When I try to make a bond it doesn't work ik get the error Failed to establish IEEE 802.3ad connection. I have a TP-Link switch TL-SG1005D but I can't find whether the switch is the problem or the network card. I am using the B75M-D3V mobo.

i'm mainly using d-link switches.... full managed (DGS-3200-10), smart pro (can't tell the number but it has 2x 10G & 18 1G ports) and smart (DGS-1210-10P)ones...

depending on how many ports you need i'd recomment you a smart switch DGS-1210-xx (xx = portnumber /poe)..

i'm mainly using d-link switches.... full managed (DGS-3200-10), smart pro (can't tell the number but it has 2x 10G & 18 1G ports) and smart (DGS-1210-10P)ones...

depending on how many ports you need i'd recomment you a smart switch DGS-1210-xx (xx = portnumber /poe)..

I just registered to say thank you to everyone who made this possible. I had an old machine and tried the XPEnology (DSM 4.3) version and it was up and running with no problem what so ever.

I am now running a NAS with 7 2tb mixed drives (WD Green, Seagate and Hitachi) with Synology Hybrid RAID set with 2 of those as spare drives giving me 9tb of space.

For those interested the system used for this was a LGA 775 motherboard Asrock ConRoe945G-DVI motherboard with 2,5gb ram and an old 3ghz Pentium processor (the single core old one). I had an old Silicon Image RAID controller which I included in the system - only used as sata extension, no RAID was configured on the card it self - old one on PCI slot, and I bought a PCIe TP-Link network card. The on board one was fried by lightning a year ago so I do not know if the onboard one works with this image file.

I'm not really taxing the system as I use it only as file server and download station and for that it works fine. While I get a wireless hiccup every now and again I did however manage to get it to play 3 different mkv files over network with no problem (over file access not video streaming) 2 wired and 1 wifi. Transfering files to and from the NAS over 1gbit wired network gives me roughly a constant speed of about 75megs per seconds.

So overall it works as expected and it works great.

Thanks again

Strahd

Hi guys,

I'm stuck, I've got one of the HP54L machines, brand new with a WD TB red drive. I've followed your instructions on the install and it seemed to work fine for the small drive 240gb that comes with the box. I removed that one and tried to install on the 4TB one, but Synology assistant gives me a status of UPGRADING for a few seconds and then CONFIGURATION LOST.

I tried 4.3 and 4.3 Beta with the same result!

Anybody got any ideas?!

Cheers

Ok I am starting to think Xpenology does not work with 4TB WD RED drives. Trying to install XPENOLOGY on the N54L with the standard 250gb drive works fine. Repeating the same steps with a WD 4TB red drive just end up with the 'configuration lost' message.

I've tried 4.2, 4.3 and Beta. If I try to add the 4TB to the system later I get a message stating that the drive is degrading and I can't see it. If anybody has managed to install on WD Red 4tb drives please let me know if you have any advice. If not :

WARNING!!!! DON'T USE WD RED 4TB drives with Xpenology!

Result... kind of.

I managed to get a 4TB WD Red up and running. Not in SHR unfortunately.

Here's the steps I took:

- install XPE 4.2 on 250gb drive SHR

- upgrade to XPE 4.3

- add 4tb WD Red in SHR mode

- this causes the drive to fail (warning message stated the drive crashed)

- removed the drive and rebooted

- add 4tb WD Red in BASIC mode

I am rather curious to see what will happen if I now remove the original 250gb which I don't really want... Will keep you up to date. Guessing I will add another brand next... was hoping to use SHR. Has anybody managed 4TB drives and if so what makes?

thx

UPDATE!!

It ran for about an hour and whilst trying to move some data over to the drive it died again. Crash warning....

I think I'll stick to my warning... DON'T buy WD4TBred for XPE