XPEnology Community

How to install XPEnology

w00t

Hi, i have problem on installation of xpenology system, my material is

core 2 duo E6550 & Asus P5E3 deluxe wifi i write img disk (just .img file in the rar) with Win32DiskImager, the system started but it block in Loading the kernel ...

with the ver 4.2 i have error message (cheksum invalid) and with 4.1 no error message but the os not start (block in loading kernel)

thx for help me :smile:

I believe it actually should stop there. If you read the instructions carefully, you notice that first time boot is kernel-only, so that you kinda "emulate" an empty Synology NAS, then use their Synology Assistant to install the full software.

What you should basically do is to let it sit on the "Loading kernel..." message, go back to the computer you are installing from, and follow the steps detailed in the first post.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Edit:

I solved the problem, by using this data:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32

-------------------------

Heeey :smile:!

First of all, I would like to say thanks for this genius work!

I just received my HP N54L today and tried the installation with your tutorial. I stuck on step 7) I see the Picture (Step 6) on the server but I can't find the server with the Synologoy Assistant, I receive the following error:

no synology server was found on the local network

I hope anyone can help :smile:!

Greetings,

Abace

• 3 weeks later...

well, boys first, thanks... and yes I`m a noob climing for some help.... I`m using a XPEnology_DS3612xs_2668_4.1++ pack in a asrock g31m-gs 2.3 ghz intel dual core... usb boot seams ok but I got stuck when said disksstation login.... and them pasword... ¿?¿?¿? I do not know what to do... I toold you I`m a NOOb... any idea pls help

NO friends ... is not root, nor admin, even blank password does not work... I`m using a XPEnology_DS3612xs_2668_4.1++ pack in a asrock g31m-gs, 2.3 ghz intel dual core... usb boot (using HDD RAW COPY TOOL: http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/) (Win32DiskImager: didn`t work for me: corrupted data (block in loading kernel) NOW : I tryed this way RAW TOOL + XPEnology_DS3612xs_2668_4.1++ pack........ seams it runs ok but I got stuck (don`t now what to do next) when said disksstation login.... and them pasword...is not root, nor admin, even blank password does not work... any idea pls friends.. ( HOW OR WHERE I INSTALL DSM??? well I supose isn't in the booting usb) thanks ...and greetings from Colombia...

THANKS actually RUNNING and WORKS just fine... working hard to test it in all ways ... I really appreciate all your attention... for my PC specs it works as I did before.... I need to change my HOSTNAME for my michine... any idea??? thanks .... I will do a dummies post in spanish :wink: thanks to all you

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I got it installed on my N36L microserver per the instructions but one thing is different from the ESXI install is that I have the usbshare1 mounted which I'm guessing is the boot usb stick. Is this normal or did I do something wrong in the install? It's not a problem except that the usbshare1 is shared and visible on the network.

Thanks

Hello everyone, I am going to create a server/nas with Amd a4 5300 or Amd a6 5400.

How do I install xpenology? (I like to be able to access from the PC to the server without any problems. The server does not have the monitor)

To learn how to use xpenology wanted to learn to use it by installing it into the pc with virtualbox, how could I do?

have a nice day,

_NAS?

Hello, I got it installed on my N36L microserver per the instructions but one thing is different from the ESXI install is that I have the usbshare1 mounted which I'm guessing is the boot usb stick. Is this normal or did I do something wrong in the install? It's not a problem except that the usbshare1 is shared and visible on the network.

Thanks

usbshare1 is completely normal. If you edit synoinfo.cfg and find the internal port (I suppose you use that for the boot disk), you can set it to 0 and thus disabling the detection of that device, but I don't think it would be necessary.

And actually if you don't specifically share the device, it should not be visible at all.

Hello everyone, I am going to create a server/nas with Amd a4 5300 or Amd a6 5400.

How do I install xpenology? (I like to be able to access from the PC to the server without any problems. The server does not have the monitor)

To learn how to use xpenology wanted to learn to use it by installing it into the pc with virtualbox, how could I do?

have a nice day,

_NAS?

You install it just like on any other platform. It is described in GREAT detail in at least five different threads, not including the release threads of different ports. But the steps are really easy: burn boot USB, boot device from USB, start Synology Assisstant, install downloaded PAT file (before installing remove boot USB, then before restart plug it back), be happy. The first install seems scary but it is so easy that even a half-trained monkey can do it. Just don't be afraid, as long as you don't have sensitive data on the hard drive (which you shouldn't - first install is like the winner in ABBA's song, it takes it all). Just play around, you cannot render it into an unusable state, worst case you have to format the hard drive.

I'm having issues booting usin a Supermicro X10SLQ-O motherboard with a XEON E1230V3, the board has the i217 and i210 for NICs and I also have an IBM M1015 IT mode. The system will boot and freeze, no kernel panic or anything like that.

any ideas what could be wrong, thanks

• 4 weeks later...

How do I 'start again' ?

I have been 'playing' with DSM on my microserver, but now I want to do a clean sweep and start again. I tried putting the image onto the USB stick again, but the server just boots up as normal.

How do I clear it and start afresh as it were? - Thanks :smile:

How do I 'start again' ?

I have been 'playing' with DSM on my microserver, but now I want to do a clean sweep and start again. I tried putting the image onto the USB stick again, but the server just boots up as normal.

How do I clear it and start afresh as it were? - Thanks :smile:

If it boots normally, did you try to use "restore defaults" in the control panel?

Nope. - Thanks, I'll go hunting :smile:

EDIT Bah - I can't get into the UI because both IE and Chrome are reporting a problem with the security certificate...

EDIT #2 Got in, apparently there was a bad certificate on my machine that was blocking me access. Now to use the 'Restore' option :smile:

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I recently installed 4.2 on a Core2Duo xpenology with 2 GB of DDR2 RAM.

after I configured most of the dsm options it started to freeze.

Random crashes sometimes after 4 hours sometimes after 2 hours and I can not see why. ( same issue on 4.3)

At this point the only thing installed is the download station. has anyone had this problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello dragosmp,

I got the same problem and I am fighting since 15 days in order to solve this problem.

I first thought it was a hardware issue. Hence, I tested the RAM, HDDs,NICs, ... without success.

Afterwards, I spent a lot of time in monitoring all the paremeters and resources.

I noticed that during the downloads, Xpenology writes the dowloaded data at the same time on the HDD and on the RAM (in cache). The cache is cleared only once a file is completely downloaded. This means that in case you download several files at the same time, it may occur that the RAM is full, which generates a blockage of the whole device. In my case, I was even not able anymore shutting down the device by pushing on the shut down button. Hence, I had to unplug it each time the blockage occurred.

Yesterday, I found a remedy, which consists in downloading not more than 2 AVI files at the same time. AND IT WORKS :smile: My NAS is now working since 28 hours without blocking.

The 2 next steps will be the following:

1. I will increase the RAM,

2. I hope someone will be able to help me understanding why the RAM cahe is not emptied as data is written on the HDD, and maybe someone has a solution that helps solving this issue.

I hope this helps and I thak in advance those that wil provide me with an advice for point 2 above.

regards

By the way, this is my configuration:

Motherboard Foxconn 945P7AA

CPU INTEL Pentium 4 - double core - 2 X 3 GHz - LGA775

RAM 2 X DDR2 1GB

NIC 2 X gigabit on motherboard

In order to test it, at present I am using 1 HHD 2.5" 150 GB SATA + 1 HHD 3.5" 200 GB SATA (the motherboard accepts up to 4 SATA)

• 2 weeks later...
Hello dragosmp,

I got the same problem and I am fighting since 15 days in order to solve this problem.

I first thought it was a hardware issue. Hence, I tested the RAM, HDDs,NICs, ... without success.

Afterwards, I spent a lot of time in monitoring all the paremeters and resources.

I noticed that during the downloads, Xpenology writes the dowloaded data at the same time on the HDD and on the RAM (in cache). The cache is cleared only once a file is completely downloaded. This means that in case you download several files at the same time, it may occur that the RAM is full, which generates a blockage of the whole device. In my case, I was even not able anymore shutting down the device by pushing on the shut down button. Hence, I had to unplug it each time the blockage occurred.

Yesterday, I found a remedy, which consists in downloading not more than 2 AVI files at the same time. AND IT WORKS :smile: My NAS is now working since 28 hours without blocking.

The 2 next steps will be the following:

1. I will increase the RAM,

2. I hope someone will be able to help me understanding why the RAM cahe is not emptied as data is written on the HDD, and maybe someone has a solution that helps solving this issue.

I hope this helps and I thak in advance those that wil provide me with an advice for point 2 above.

regards

By the way, this is my configuration:

Motherboard Foxconn 945P7AA

CPU INTEL Pentium 4 - double core - 2 X 3 GHz - LGA775

RAM 2 X DDR2 1GB

In order to test it, at present I am using 1 HHD 2.5" 150 GB SATA + 1 HHD 3.5" 200 GB SATA (the motherboard accepts up to 4 SATA)

Thanks for the reply.

For me it was a hardware problem. The ram never reached more then 20%. Most likely it was the motherboard. :evil:

Now I have a new configuration:

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-C1037UN :grin:

Cpu Integrated Intel Celeron 1037U 2*1.8Ghz

Ram 1* ddr3 2gb

3 hdd * 1tb

For what I saw I think it was o problem with hdd in hibernation.

The new configuration works perfectly.

Now I have 14 days uptime and it works perfectly.

I have a problem installing expenology. Everything goes well until the finalization of installation. At that time my server loses connection to lan and i get a workstation not found notice at the end. When booting from usb key everything is ok and server is found without a problem. Is it possible that my motherboard is not supported jet? I read somewhere on the forum that Haswell is supported already. My motherboard is: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/H81IPLUS/.