XPEnology Community

How to install XPEnology

w00t

Hi Guys, having real issues getting this to work!

Have tried all versions available from .me, from Nanoboot 5.0 and up.

I always get the same issue when booting from the usb: eth0 not running. Thinking it was the onboard network of my board (Gigabyte A75m-UD2H) I bought a tplink TG-3468 as this is listed as a support device. Now i get both eth0 and eth1 not running!

Any ideas? Completely at a loss with this - i have it running as a virtual machine on my other PC but really want it as a bare install. Just to add, both my MB and Tp-Link card use the realtek 8111E chip.

Cheers,

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

I gave up esxi and returned to bare metal install on my gen8 microserver; All my drives are in raid 0 array, using the hp controller. The problem is that the fan is always at 25%, 04hd-hd max sensor is missing and I don't see the array info in ilo/storage. If I enter intelligent provisioning I see all the drives info, each in raid 0 array, fan goes to 6% as it is normal and I can read 04hd-max sensor in ilo; but as soon as I reboot and let xpenology boot and load, the info is gone and the fan is back to 25%.

The main reason that made me to use raid 0 array was to get lower fan speeds when using esxi; it's not the same for bare metal install ?

edit:

I did not re-install xpenology, I just changed the esxi usb with xpenoboot; I gues it started from my former RDM drives, and reconstructed the other 2 ( I use 1 ssd in odd bay and 3 hdd's)

Can someone advice how to go about logging into the Gen8 (eg BIOS) running Xpenology on a USB when it is headless?

iLO

Is there an 'how to' guide in layman's terms as I am unsure as to how to go about activating the iLO standard? Thanks

• 4 months later...

Quick questions:

1. If I update xpenoboot to newer version do I need to do new installation of dsm system?

2. Can I change serial and MAC after some time ( I found my old not working DS) and boot without problem, or I need to do new installation of dsm system?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dear All,

At step 4: "Load win32diskimager, Select the synoboot-xxx.img file and the usb drive then press Write and wait." I would like to replace by 1st partition instead of a USB in order to boot image from SSD (I will create SSD into 2 partitions -1 for boot and 1 for NAS), can I do that? If yes could you please give your guide?

Appreciated for your reply.

• 9 months later...

Hi Guys. i Need help.

Now i have Xpenology with installed DS214play and old version 5.1-5004. So, now i have a trouble . "Configuration is lost". I know that my HDDs is in work but without working SYNO i cant connect to it. I understood that i need to flash my Thecus N2520 again. But how i can do that if in IMG files for XPENOLOGY all time have menu which with several chose. But i cant move in menu anything cus my Thecus don't have KEYBOARD and ETC! How i can make flashing without any manipulation with any menu.

• 9 months later...

Hi, im trying to make a usb stick for booting up a new intel-pc based system, but get at bit confused about all the different info.

This guide tells me to just get image and burn to stick, done that with the XPEEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5644.5.img

Links to assistent is dead but assume i should get it from synology here, and then just run from windows pc, and feed it with the DSM_DS3615xs_5644.pat file i also downloaded right ?

And here comes the tricky part, some guides mentions a whole lot more to be done like getting serial and changing mac adress ect... does this apply to this 5.2 version ?

If it does can you plz point me to a good guide, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2017 at 7:17 AM, NightSmoker said:

Hi, im trying to make a usb stick for booting up a new intel-pc based system, but get at bit confused about all the different info.

This guide tells me to just get image and burn to stick, done that with the XPEEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5644.5.img

Links to assistent is dead but assume i should get it from synology here, and then just run from windows pc, and feed it with the DSM_DS3615xs_5644.pat file i also downloaded right ?

And here comes the tricky part, some guides mentions a whole lot more to be done like getting serial and changing mac adress ect... does this apply to this 5.2 version ?

If it does can you plz point me to a good guide, thanks.

My understanding is that this particular thread is way out of date. You're talking about Syno 5.2.x and Synology has released 6.1.x. 

I think the current xpenology loader is jun's 1.02b loader, you can see the guide here:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/6253-dsm-6xx-loader/

@jun has actually released three images, mimicking ds3615, ds3617, and ds916, something like that. You should review the differences in the hardware so that it matches your build. In particular, I think the 916 has some built-in video transcoding support? But I use Plex so I used the 3615 image. There are threads on the forum comparing the builds. YMMV. 3615 may be the "safest" image to use if you're not sure. Choosing one is not the end, you can boot another and use the migrate tool to migrate your disks to what Syno thinks is a new box.

As usual you burn the 1.02b loader to a USB stick, then you have to manually edit the grub.cfg file after determining your particular USB stick's VID and PID (links to tools to determine this info are in the post). You should also consider changing the serial number and Mac address, thoughts in the link. Each image has a valid default SN for that box but ideally you'll use a SN generator and roll your own. You should not use Synology's QuickConnect service, just use a free DDNS service. I don't understand fully the spoofing of the MAC address. Perhaps the Mac and SN need to be in sync.

Plug the USB stick into your rig, boot to it, then use find.synology.com on your local network to download and install the pat.

The stuff about serial and Mac address may apply to 5.2 but I don't know why you'd even go down the path of 5.2 if you have a rig that can do 6.1. jun solved 6.1 for us so it seems like a no-brainer.