XPEnology Community

How to install XPEnology

w00t

Hello

Can you help me install the xpenology on my Asus motherboard.

I have an Asus M2N32-WS Pro: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M2N32_WS_Professional/

I think the problem is with the chipset 590n.

When I try Xpenology on my computer it works well, but when I try to configure the server on my old motherboard it does't work.

On my Asus M5A99X EVO it hangs for 5 min but then everything is OK. If i switch to the old motherboard it hangs at "Attached SCSI".

Can you help me install XPE on my old computer with Asus M2N32-WS Pro motherboard? It would be great to have 9 S-ATA and 2 networks :smile:

I am new to this and everything seams so hard so please, any help would be appreciated :smile:

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

When I try Xpenology on my computer it works well, but when I try to configure the server on my old motherboard it does't work.

On my Asus M5A99X EVO it hangs for 5 min but then everything is OK. If i switch to the old motherboard it hangs at "Attached SCSI".

Fire up Synology Assistant. It should see the device. I have seen the same thing and it's at this stage I fire up SA.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
First of all, excuse me for my bad english.

I have a question. I made all the installation, and it's working in my proliant.

Can i remove now the USB pendrive, or it need to be plugged always?

Thank you in advance.

Leave it plugged in.

Its needed for every reboot. After server start its not used until the next restart.

First of all, excuse me for my bad english.

I have a question. I made all the installation, and it's working in my proliant.

Can i remove now the USB pendrive, or it need to be plugged always?

Thank you in advance.

Leave it plugged in.

Its needed for every reboot. After server start its not used until the next restart.

Thank you for your answer XPEH, only one more question and I promise that I don't bother you more.

I made the bootable USB, and i plug in and install de DSM, and everything is fine. Now, if I made another bootable USB, can I plug in in my computer without loose information? I wanna say if the computer, during the installation, the computer modifies the pen drive? Or it's the same all the time? If i plug a new USB the computer will still works like now?

If I'm not very understable, please tell me and I make again the question with other words.

Thank you in advance again.

The USB bootloader is not modified by system. Only modifications are done if you, yourself changed lets say serial numbers. You alway can create another USB flash drive from the same image and boot from it.

All the system configuration is kept on the system partition(s) of the hard drives.

If I undersood your question correctly you want to replace the USB drive with another USB flash drive?

Thats not a problem if they made from the same image.

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to install the XPEnology with a synoboot-trantor-4.2-3211-v1.2 image (stable) on a Dell PowerEdge blade server. It boots from the USB flash drive, I can see the new box in the Synology Assistant, then I install it, load the .pat file, pick the password, pick the name, pick DHCP or static, DSM installs, server reboots, then I get to login to the XPEnology, but it asks me to setup again the DSM and no matter what DSM I give, it does not work. It either says it's corrupt (for the latest downloadable) or from the box. It only seems to load it from the .pat file. Then the box reboots and the configuration fails.

To be more specific, the DSM loads to 100%, the box restarts, then the DiskStation is again present, but it says "Configuration lost". No idea what else to try. It's supposed to be "monkey see is monkey do", but even if it seems to work, the install fails.

Mega-noob here...

I have an N36L with 4 x 3TB HDD..

I installed the image onto usb key.. wacked in my n36L.. it booted off it, asks me for username and password??

How do I also install Synology assist? do I do that on the NAS or on a pc and transfer over lol very lost..

Am I supposed to do anything on a VM?

Mega-noob here...

I installed the image onto usb key.. wacked in my n36L.. it booted off it, asks me for username and password??

How do I also install Synology assist? do I do that on the NAS or on a pc and transfer over lol very lost..

Install Synology assistant on PC and run it.

It will detect new Diskstation as unconfigured and not installed.

Install the .pat file, wait until reboot and use browser from PC to connect to DSM for managing it.

Remove monitor and keyboard from NAS and leave the USB flash drive inserted for next reboots.

Mega-noob here...

Install Synology assistant on PC and run it.

It will detect new Diskstation as unconfigured and not installed.

Install the .pat file, wait until reboot and use browser from PC to connect to DSM for managing it.

Remove monitor and keyboard from NAS and leave the USB flash drive inserted for next reboots.

ah yup got it, thanks :smile: now to work out how to RAID 5 :smile: edit: looks like its that by default

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So I did your tutorial and all seemed to work ok up until step 7. I booted the system from a USB stick but I want to install the DSM also on a USB HDD. Is that even possible?

On step 7 when it tries to format the system partition, it fails every time, whether I install the .pat from a browser or from the Synology Assistant.

I don't have any internal HDDs. My setup is a x86 Wyse thin client V10L with 1Gb Ram and an external USB Hdd with 250 Gb.

Link to the thin client: http://parkytowers.me.uk/thin/wyse/vx0/WyseV90L.shtml

Doesn't work.

You need an internal harddrive of at least 8GByte to install DSM.

well...that sucks :smile:

I already have it set up as a Samba share and NAS server with debian on it and it works great. I use a decent Webmin theme and it almost feels like a normal NAS. Thanks for the answer dude!

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

I have just installed Xpenology on an HP Gen 8 and it appears to be working fine.

What i cannot however figure out is how to get it to boot from the USB although it seems to do it automatically.

I pressed F11 several times but could not get into the BIOS.

what i now have on the screen connected to the Gen 8 is a login screen and I cannot log into it.

is there a way i can get into the BIOS via access page to ensure that it is set up to boot from the USB ?

Hi Guys,

I have just installed Xpenology on an HP Gen 8 and it appears to be working fine.

What i cannot however figure out is how to get it to boot from the USB although it seems to do it automatically.

I pressed F11 several times but could not get into the BIOS.

what i now have on the screen connected to the Gen 8 is a login screen and I cannot log into it.

is there a way i can get into the BIOS via access page to ensure that it is set up to boot from the USB ?

All HP systems use F10 for BIOS setup.

• 2 weeks later...