XPEnology Community

How to install XPEnology

w00t

I can't agree to your warning so far...i am using 4.3-3827 HBA with LSI 9201-16i

all my drives (1x SSD, 5x HD204UI, 3x 4TB WDRED) are connected to this HBA.

the 3 wd red are volume 2 with SHR1 and the 5 HD204UI are volume 3 with SHR1, the SSD is volume 1 single drive

last night however my 5 WD Green 1,5 TB which worked for about 5 years flawless in my TS-509Pro dropped out of my system..again... so i guess they have a problem or are faulty...

BUT! no issue with the 4 TB WD RED in any way (up-/downgrades, clean install).... i suggest you to check your hardware..

WARNING!!!! DON'T USE WD RED 4TB drives with Xpenology!

Dont post crap :roll:

Have you tried to erase the contents of the drive before installing?

Simple way would be to do

Install Xpenology onto your 250gb drive (but dont make a volume at all)

then install your 4TB drive, again don't make a volume on it either

Then SSH into your Xpenology and use FDISK to wipe any partitions on the drive

eg to find the drive

> fdisk -l

have a look and see which drive is your 250gb and which is your 4TB

eg one will be /dev/sda the other will be /dev/sdb (could be different depending on your hardware)

once found

fdisk /dev/sdX <<<< whatever drive letter you found to be the 4TB drive

then delete the partitions on it

type in "p" to see the number of the partitions

start at the highest number and work your way back down you could have 5 or 6 on there

eg to delete a partiton type in "d" then the partition number

d 5

d 4

etc

once complete quit fdisk

type in reboot

go back into storage manager and run some smart tests on the drive, both short and long

post back your results

Hi,

This may seem like a daft question but I haven't found a post anywhere which answers it definitively. When using Xpenology is the limitation of a 2TB primary HD (first bay) still applicable, or can all the bays be populated with 4TB HD's? I was under the impression that the HP Microserver BIOS would only recognise drives up to 2TB in bay 1, but after reading Zarocq machine spec. would I be correct in assuming the issue is OS related?

I have been testing Xpenology using the standard 250GB plus a 1TB drive in my N40L and am currently deciding on my long term drive choice. My initial thoughts were to play safe and get a 2TB WD Red with 4TB drives in the remaining bays. I would prefer to go with 4TB all the way if that's a tried and tested Xpenology configuration.

I would be very interested to hear confirmation of that before committing myself?

Thanks in advance.

Xpenology doesn't BOOT off the HDD's, it boots off of the USB stick......so 4TB drive is not a problem for 1st disk

Hi Stanza,

I'm aware that Xpen uses the USB as part of the boot sequence and as a hardware check etc. I wasn't sure if the BIOS was going to cause an issue before the system even got to booting from the drives.

Thanks for clearing that mystery up you have saved me buying a 2TB which I don't need. :smile:

I got a N54L wich im running dsm5 on natively... Anyone knows if its possible to install xbmc on synology and put a gpu in my server and run it straight to the tv?

You could take a look at this thread on XMBC on Synology hardware.

Yes you can install a GPU half height. Nvidia seem to have the best comparability for nix systems from what I have read. Here is some info on cards that are known to work in the N40L.

The only thing is that you may find the standard microserver to be a little bit noisy when running close to the TV?

Im currently running dsm 4.2-3211 on my hp n54l. It has been working great until a power outage today. After the server came back up my resource monitor widget keeps saying "loading" and when i try to open the resource monitor itself the error "connection failed. please check your network connection" appears.

So this is seriously bugging me. I dont know how to fix this and making sure that all data on my 3 disks remain intact. How can i reinstall?

I tried to upgrade to this 4.3 version out of the dsm itself through manual update and selecting the pat file but after 30 seconds or so i get the error "unknown error occurs (Error no:21).

How can i solve the resource monitor issue. Dont care about the fix, even if it is by upgrading to a newer dsm version (5.0?) just as long that all data on my 3 disks remain intact!

I got a N54L wich im running dsm5 on natively... Anyone knows if its possible to install xbmc on synology and put a gpu in my server and run it straight to the tv?

You could take a look at this thread on XMBC on Synology hardware.

Yes you can install a GPU half height. Nvidia seem to have the best comparability for nix systems from what I have read. Here is some info on cards that are known to work in the N40L.

The only thing is that you may find the standard microserver to be a little bit noisy when running close to the TV?

I already have it close to the tv, doesnt bother me at all, already have a half height gpu too, and old nvidia g210... But the link you provided is running xbmc back-end on the synology... i wanna run the whole thing there wich i guess is a bit more complicated... :sad:

Im currently running dsm 4.2-3211 on my hp n54l. It has been working great until a power outage today. After the server came back up my resource monitor widget keeps saying "loading" and when i try to open the resource monitor itself the error "connection failed. please check your network connection" appears.

So this is seriously bugging me. I dont know how to fix this and making sure that all data on my 3 disks remain intact. How can i reinstall?

I tried to upgrade to this 4.3 version out of the dsm itself through manual update and selecting the pat file but after 30 seconds or so i get the error "unknown error occurs (Error no:21).

How can i solve the resource monitor issue. Dont care about the fix, even if it is by upgrading to a newer dsm version (5.0?) just as long that all data on my 3 disks remain intact!

i suggest you to hook up a monitor and keyboard to the HP to check the cli output...also check if the boot_device (usb) is still fine

i would NOT recommend you to make any changes before you can ensure that the data is fine! so don't do any upgrades!!

if you had an power outtage it could be, that your hardware is damaged.. you need to check this possibility too... (i guess you don't have an UPS connected to the storage)

do you have a backup of your data (raid is NO backup), even if you don't have a backup you COULD try to use an other PC with xpenology and then plug in the drives there, this will work and you usually can access your data (it's what i did, after i had some issues with my old faulty drives in a volume, i removed the volume and plugged it into my "backup/play" server)

The hardware seems fine. The system boots and I can connect to it from my W8 PC and everything works, only the resource monitor doesn't. Which I noticed because the widget status remains on loading.

The data is fine also. I can access everything and smart statuses of the drives show OK.

As far as backup concerns, well I have three drives in that thing which are all configured as single disks. 2 x 3TB and 1 x 1TB. I use one of the 3TB disks for storage. Then the software backs up that entire disks to the other 3TB disk. And I have another backup running for a selection of folders to the 1TB disk.

The hardware seems fine. The system boots and I can connect to it from my W8 PC and everything works, only the resource monitor doesn't. Which I noticed because the widget status remains on loading.

The data is fine also. I can access everything and smart statuses of the drives show OK.

As far as backup concerns, well I have three drives in that thing which are all configured as single disks. 2 x 3TB and 1 x 1TB. I use one of the 3TB disks for storage. Then the software backs up that entire disks to the other 3TB disk. And I have another backup running for a selection of folders to the 1TB disk.

I have had this before....

Think from memory it was something to do with installing the python packages...

Or it was the order that I loaded packages in....

Something weird like that....

Can't remember if I resolved it or not.... Or just reinstalled, then changed the order of which packages I installed ...

So I upgraded to this version of the DSM. My disks have remained intact and the resource monitor works as it should again.

Now I notice one thing that never happened on my older 4.2 DSM. The recent logfile widget keeps showing that the USB disk was ejected every 30 seconds or so. So every time there is a new action taking place that disconnects the USB stick. Any suggestions on what to do about this?

I am using another USB stick than I did when I was running 4.2. Could this be an issue with the stick itself? The installation went fine...

I just fucked up..

i did a

cp libncurses.so.5.9 libncurses.so.5

when i was supposed to

cp libncurses.so.5.9 libncursesw.so.5

so i overwrited the original libncurses.so.5.. will this cause me any trouble?

im running the 5.0 beta, can someone please upload their libncurses.so.5 so i can replace mine?

---

nvm, i fucked shit up even more after this but now im back on track :wink:

Newbie question: does it need to be installed on USB ? Can I install on a SATA FLASH ?

I tried like 3/4 times on my OLD PC - but it always gets error during DSM install (2nd step when formating the disk).

Are you deselecting the "format drives as SHR" option (not exact option name but similar) when you setup the system ?

If you don't then it may try and format your install drive and corrupt it.

Hello

Can you help me install the Xpenology on my computer.

I have an Asus motherboard...Asus M2N32-WS Pro: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M2N32_WS_Professional/

When I try Xpenology on my computer it works well, but when I try to configure the server on my old motherboard it does't work.

On my Asus M5A99X EVO it hangs for 5 min but then everything is OK. If i switch to the old motherboard it hangs at "Attached SCSI".

Can you help me? I am new to this and everything seams so hard :smile:

Thanks

I just fucked up..

i did a

cp libncurses.so.5.9 libncurses.so.5

when i was supposed to

cp libncurses.so.5.9 libncursesw.so.5

so i overwrited the original libncurses.so.5.. will this cause me any trouble?

im running the 5.0 beta, can someone please upload their libncurses.so.5 so i can replace mine?

---

nvm, i fucked shit up even more after this but now im back on track :wink:

I made the same mistake, how did you solve it?

Thanks for this

I'm running this on a HP ProLiant N40L microserver.

I can't seem to create a volume with more than one disk. When I do, it starts saving the config and then goes back to saying "There is no volume in your system"

The same thing when trying to create a disk group as well.

Doesn't matter if I do JBOD or RAID 5 or Synology hybrid RAID or any of the other types...

Any ideas?

Hi !

Is possible use hdd from real synology nas device to xpenology pc whitout lossing data ?

Both yes and no, certainly depends on what your setup, I had only volumes created (not Raid) On the DS original system disk, copy the data I first.

Then install a new sytemdisken with xpenology (same 4.3 as the DS) with all the apps I had in the original DS.

Then I moved just over the second disk 'Volume2' (physically), the system said although it was wrong on Volume2 (though the data was ok) but I let the system repair and then everything was left on the volume No.2.

But I had backed up everything just in case (you never know what can go wrong)

sorry for mine bad english :shock: hope you understand what I meant ..