XPEnology Community

Trial of Nanoboot (4493) - 5.0.3.1

This update isn't a small update so you need to use the migration process. You will need to update the USB drive/ESXi boot device and then use the Up/Down grade option in the boot menu or edit the boot sequence in the menu file for grub. If you try this update using the small update process in the DSM you will get the Temp folder access error.

do you mean migration procedure??

If your system has been successfully installed and you apply a major update using the Synology Assistant you will be presented with the option to migrate to the new version. If you don't get that option the installer assumes the server requires a fresh installation and any existing data will be lost. If you do an update on a machine that has been functional and you don't get the migrate option something has gone wrong and the existing data/petitioning etc. isn't being detected by the installer.

You will need to choose the install/upgrade option from the nanoboot grub menu to start the process.

The second stage of the web assistant will give you two options "Migrate" or "New Installation" if the system can be migrated to the new version - if not you will only have the option to apply a "New Installation".

DSM3.png

This guide will explain it better than me...Grub Menu >> Web Assistant.

I'm using Nanoboot 5.0.3.1, I have a Asrock B75 pro3-M motherboard, which has 8 SATA connectors: 6 from the Intel B75 chipset and 2 from an onboard ASMedia ASM1061 controller. I'm using 8 disks with a raid 6 setup and everything worked fine until I added a Hightpoint Rocket 640L (not RocketRaid) in an attempt to upscale from 8 to 12 sata connections. For some reason, the disks connected to the ASMedia are no longer detected by DSM (at all), they previously worked fine. The disks are visible in BIOS though, so I assume there must be some conflict on Linux level.

Luckily I have a workaround: I can simply connect the sata cables from the ASMedia controller to the Highpoint 640L controller, which results in them being visible again (uninitialised though) and repair the volume. However, I'd like to have those 2 sata connections from the ASM1061 back available ...

Is this a known (driver?) problem where the 640L and the ASM1601 conflict in some way ? And is there a solution ?

Many thanks in advance !

just a guess...

Connect to /etc/synoinfo.conf and search for string 'internalportcfg='

This string has hexadecimal value which is can disclose how many SATA ports can be mapped.

for 8-port limit, it would indicate that you have 'internalportcfg=0xff'.

For 12-drive setup, value should be 'internalportcfg=0xfff' as FFF is converted value of binary mapping of SATA ports (1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1).

• 4 weeks later...
I'm using Nanoboot 5.0.3.1, I have a Asrock B75 pro3-M motherboard, which has 8 SATA connectors: 6 from the Intel B75 chipset and 2 from an onboard ASMedia ASM1061 controller. I'm using 8 disks with a raid 6 setup and everything worked fine until I added a Hightpoint Rocket 640L (not RocketRaid) in an attempt to upscale from 8 to 12 sata connections. For some reason, the disks connected to the ASMedia are no longer detected by DSM (at all), they previously worked fine. The disks are visible in BIOS though, so I assume there must be some conflict on Linux level.

Luckily I have a workaround: I can simply connect the sata cables from the ASMedia controller to the Highpoint 640L controller, which results in them being visible again (uninitialised though) and repair the volume. However, I'd like to have those 2 sata connections from the ASM1061 back available ...

Is this a known (driver?) problem where the 640L and the ASM1601 conflict in some way ? And is there a solution ?

Many thanks in advance !

I'm currently trying to get things working on my esxi 5.5 but strange things are happening..

I installed a HighPoint Rocket 640L on my Gigabyte GA Z87-D3HP motherboard. Esxi recognizes this card and I can check it to be available for passthrough.

I can then add the card to my VM as a PCI device, but ONLY in vSphere Client, managing the host directly. When I try to add the card in Web client, I get an error that passthrough device ID is invalid. When I boot the VM, I can see my disks that are connected to the Highpoint SATA Controller BUT I have to connect them to port 2 and port 4. When I try to connect them to port 1 and 2, only the disk connected to port 2 is visible.. I can install DSM (4528) but when I create a volume RAID 1 or SHR, the VM crashes..

I'm now doing a wipe on my disks so that they are clean and will try again to install 4493 and create Volume.

But even if that works, I can only use 2 of 4 ports on the Highpoint card..

Any ideas what I can try? I'm afraid the Nanoboot or Gnuboot latest editions do not have the right drivers for this card..

One question.

After a problem I tryed to update to 4482 and as usual lost my folders. Then i downgrade to 4458, but only got a few folders back. Coincidently or not, the original system folders (video, photo and music) still appear to be empty but the folders I created in my original DSM 4.3 are good and with all files ok! By the size of the volume and the total empty space, I think the files that were supposed to the in the video, music and photo folders still exist, I just dont know what to do to make them apear again!

Am I messing something?

Edit: I forgot to say that up update to 4493 using nanoboot 5032, but the problem remains!

• 3 weeks later...
Nanoboot 5.0.4.1 is for DSM 5.0-4528, no more drivers was added.

So far, the DSM 5.1-5021 only test within the team, but will soon be released.

Is there a way of getting USB 3.0 working on with new dsm 5.1 ?

Really good news. i'll donate for it.

All prior XPNnology builds were based on the DS3612, which only has USB 2.0 ports. The upcoming version is supposedly based on DS3615, which has USB 3.0 ports. So I guess there is a chance 3.0 might work.

Nanoboot 5.0.4.1 is for DSM 5.0-4528, no more drivers was added.

So far, the DSM 5.1-5021 only test within the team, but will soon be released.

Is there a way of getting USB 3.0 working on with new dsm 5.1 ?

Really good news. i'll donate for it.

But USB3.0 work well on DSM5.0 with NEC uPD720xxx renesas chipset. I have 2 port card on uPD720202 in N54L.

This is great will be updating a little later today all being well.

Thanks to everyone involved with the development and testing of this release...great job!

Maybe there should be a new sticky thread created exclusively for the "Nanoboot 5.1 release" as it's a major leap forward and the old information is fragmented unruly. It might be easier to have a clean start from the get go that consolidates 5.1 related information?

The Opening post could have links to the other resources like xpenology.nl guides and file links etc.

Humm not sure how I missed the new thread yesterday!? :oops:

Here's the link >> XPEnoboot DSM 5.1 Launch <<

Hm.. i did a copy the /lib/modules from gnoboot to nanoboot, but the same issue :sad:.. I would like to ha a mixture between gnoboot and nanoboot, or nanoboot with all drivers from gnoboot too..

Sent from my CloudMobile using Tapatalk

Eventually how i could see what .ko file is for this Synology Remote? Maybe i can try with insmod cmd...

whith the new XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.1-5022.0, synology remote fonctionaly perfectly, since yesterday.

• 2 months later...
Hi,

But my VM nanoboot still doesn't work in proxmox :sad:

I use proxmox 3.2 and I create my VM like that :

mini_435896proxmoxnanoboot.jpg

I try all nanoboot.img (converted to raw or qcow2) found on the web and as you can see the VM can load the beginning but stop after loading kernel................................

What could be wrong ? Can someone send me a fully functionnal raw or qcow2 image of nanoboot ? ? Please.....

Regards

Hi,

some news : I can launch the VM with nanoboot only when the KVM material virtualisation is disabled in proxmox, but then it's extremly slow...

To resume, in proxmox :

- gnoboot works perfectly :grin:

- nanoboot works, but slowly, when the KVM material virtualisation is disabled :cry:

- nanoboot stops booting when the KVM material virtualisation is enabled :mad:

So, what's the way to find the solution ? some materials differences between nanoboot and gnoboot ?

I'm going crazy :mrgreen:

Regards

I got EXACTLY the same pbs... with proxmox on N54L I guess I tried everything -> disable KVM virtualisation too (same results as yours !

I don't know what to do :mad:

I found the solution :grin:

I changed cpu type : kvm64(default) doesn't work but qemu64 (and host) works perfectly :cool: