XPEnology Community

Trial of Nanoboot (4493) - 5.0.3.1

I'm in 4493-update2 for now.

Coudl I update to update4 directly using ?

sed 's/flashupdateDeb/flashupdateDeb1/' /autoupd@te.info > /autoupd@te.info1
mv /autoupd@te.info1 /autoupd@te.info

At reboot time, what should I select in nanoboot option ?

Normal or update mode ?

Thanks

Quick question on updating from 4.3-3810 (I've read every post since Page 46, specifically this post - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3052&start=450#p20369), and each one references to read the manual in Poechi's signature. Unfortunately it's in a language I cannot understand.

My Xpenology box has worked like a charm, I installed and never looked back a long time ago, but since the new SynoLocker exploit, I have removed the box from all internet access, but I'd like to fix that, which means updating to DSM 5 from 4.3-3810. Is there an English guide that will allow me to do so without losing data, so I can get back to normal and access the server online? Thanks, and sorry if I over-looked something.

tl,dr: I was hoping to upgrade from 4.3-3810 to DSM 5.x Update X without losing data and hoping to find an English guide. Thanks for all of your support! :grin:

All Went well.

Stats On hard Ware On my server. Using a Asus Dual Processor Board. have 24 gig of ram I know only a fraction of that is being used.

System Z8NA-D6 board

LSI Pike Raid controller but using JBOD

upgraded to DSM DS1312xs_4493 All seems to be working very well. Is Was wondering would there be any chance to unitize both possessors at the same time and use large amount of ram. At any Rate all work great so fare

Just and FYI

NanoBoot smokes great job

Quick question on updating from 4.3-3810 (I've read every post since Page 46, specifically this post - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3052&start=450#p20369), and each one references to read the manual in Poechi's signature. Unfortunately it's in a language I cannot understand.

Look to the right on http://www.xpenology.nl/standaard-installatie-dsm/ - there you'll find the options to translate the tutorial into any language you want. :smile:

According the install in Proxmox (as alternative to Esxi):

Nanoboot 5.0.3.1 boots up, correctly in Synology Assistant/DHCP, but during installation of the .pat: there is no harddisk found. So it fails in step 2 to format/partition the disk.

Any hints or other people already solved this problem? Proxmox VE 3.2, 5.0.3.1, 4493.

Neither ide, sata, virtio, ... work.

Best wishes!

Hello,

xpenology works on proxmox 3.2

RAM ... 512MB

CPU ... 1 (KVM64)

Disk ... ide0 1GB (were the Nanoboot is installed)

Disk ... ide1 100GB (were the Data is stored)

Network ... net0 (e1000)

then boot from ide0

01.... create a new kvm machine with 1 cpu (kvm64) ... 512 mb ram ... 1 network card (e1000)

02.... copy the nanoboot image into the new created kvm folder (if the vm have the number 010, replace the *** in the next steps with 010)

03.... qemu-img convert -f raw -O qcow2 /var/lib/vz/images/***/NanoBoot-5.0.2.4-fat.img /var/lib/vz/images/***/vm-***-disk-1.qcow2

04.... mount the vm-***disk-1.qcow2 as ide0 disk and boot from this disk

05.... create a new disk vm-***disk-2.qcow2 (ide1) as data disk

06.... start the vm

this works for me a long time now.

Hi,

But my VM nanoboot still doesn't work in proxmox :sad:

I use proxmox 3.2 and I create my VM like that :

mini_435896proxmoxnanoboot.jpg

I try all nanoboot.img (converted to raw or qcow2) found on the web and as you can see the VM can load the beginning but stop after loading kernel................................

What could be wrong ? Can someone send me a fully functionnal raw or qcow2 image of nanoboot ? ? Please.....

Regards

Hi,

for me it works using:

- boot image

http://www.xpenology.nl/boot-images/

Nanoboot-5.0.3.2 DSM 5.0-4493 X64, IMG file (stated for USB)

- transfer with ending .iso to storage

- vm using ide drives, e.g. first drive 1GB and raw format

- move to related vm folder

- qemu-img convert to raw (if required, I have done it, despite img to raw)

- cp new file to existing disk1.whatever..raw

- boot up

Standard kvm proc, kernel 3.x (try to change to this), everything else default, I do not use sata, just ide.

Controllers everything default.

Best wishes

Thank you aleh :grin:

So for the conversion, you type this :

qemu-img convert -f raw -O raw /var/lib/vz/images/100/NB_x64_5032_DSM_50-4493_Xpenology_nl.img /var/lib/vz/images/100/vm-100-disk-1.raw

don't you ?

[EDIT] new try but not working, the CPU is loaded at 110% like my old tries and nothing else happens :sad:

Hello everyone,

I'm having a bit of an issue with Nanoboot, so I thought I would post here, but it's with the 32 bits version (5.0.2.4) and 4482 so don't hesitate to tell me if it's not the right topic.

Basically I wanted to do a clean upgrade of my 4.3 xpenology server (running a d525 atom).

So I followed the install procedure, ran diskwriter to write nanoboot to a usb key, plugged the usb key into the xpenology server, booted it. Selected "upgrade" then "4482" at the boot screen.

And used the assistant to complete the install.

The server reboots with the normal "run DSM option" (not the install/upgrade one)

But I still can't access the NAS :sad:

If I select it in the syno assistant, I can see the status is something like "can be migrated".

And if I hit "connect", it launches the "web assistant page" which tells me my server is on 4482 but only allows me to migrate it again.

I can't find a way to connect to DSM5, it seems I'm just stuck in a loop when it thinks I want to migrate DSM (when it's already been migrated).

Could you please let me know if you have an idea of what I'm doing wrong ?

Thanks in advance !

Hello there,

I'm not sure if i'm posting in the right place, but it's about nanoboot anyway.

I've compiled a driver with the tools and kernel sources of dsm, for highpoint rocketraid 2600

So now i have a .ko driver which i can insmod, which works fine, and if i put it in /etc/rc everything is pretty much seamless.

However, i've been trying to compile it into the kernel and boot image.

And i haven't been able to do so. The tiny wiki about it is not extremely descriptive, except for compiling a new kernel, not adding drivers.

So i've been wondering, is there anybody that might be able to help me with this?

It's been several years since i've been fiddling with kernel mods so i'm quite rusty.

The point where i'm sortof stuck at is how you would get your new driver to show up in the menuconfig, so you can check it to compile as a module.

Theres a patch script that comes with the highpoint sources, which i could probably modify to run against the source tree of the non running kernel.

If that's the way it's done then i'll go do that, but i'm sure there must be an easier way to accomplish this that i'm missing.

So any help would be much apreciated.

If anybody else wants the compiled driver give me a shout and i'll go find a fileshare site somewhere to put it on.

thanks

Hi

I have the same problem.I can access the system using a trick.I use x86 system with another iso image

You can try this trick and will see there is work.I don´t understand why but, works

The iso you can find here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=800&start=100#p6739

Instructions for that sytem here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=800

If you can imagine why the system needs that iso to work please let me know

Fernando

Hello everyone,

I'm having a bit of an issue with Nanoboot, so I thought I would post here, but it's with the 32 bits version (5.0.2.4) and 4482 so don't hesitate to tell me if it's not the right topic.

Basically I wanted to do a clean upgrade of my 4.3 xpenology server (running a d525 atom).

So I followed the install procedure, ran diskwriter to write nanoboot to a usb key, plugged the usb key into the xpenology server, booted it. Selected "upgrade" then "4482" at the boot screen.

And used the assistant to complete the install.

The server reboots with the normal "run DSM option" (not the install/upgrade one)

But I still can't access the NAS :sad:

If I select it in the syno assistant, I can see the status is something like "can be migrated".

And if I hit "connect", it launches the "web assistant page" which tells me my server is on 4482 but only allows me to migrate it again.

I can't find a way to connect to DSM5, it seems I'm just stuck in a loop when it thinks I want to migrate DSM (when it's already been migrated).

Could you please let me know if you have an idea of what I'm doing wrong ?

Thanks in advance !

I do not understand why you don't choose the X64 image to write to your stick. The Atom D525 has a x64 instructionset.

Also, why are you choosing 4482 and not 4493?

I updated a old 4.2 nas to 5.0 4493 update 4 within 30 minutes on a HP Microserver.

What I did was, I went to and http://www.xpenology.nl/boot-images/ select the Nanoboot-5.0.3.2 DSM 5.0-4493 X64 IMG and write that to a USB stick. I boot the nas, select the option to upgrade/install (2nd choice) and let it boot. The machine will still boot to DSM 4.2 but when I scan with the synology assistant I can see that the status is migrateable. I open the web interface of the DSM 4.2 and select the option to migrate, I upload the Pat file found on http://www.xpenology.nl/xpenology-software/ (main install) and let it do its magic. When it reboots it is still doing stuff, when you are done you upload the update 4 file and you are done!

(For more detailed instructions, visit the website and use the translate button)

Edit: I see now, I have misread your point.

I had this to, a couple of weeks ago. I just copied all my harddrive info to a new disk and formatted all my disks to start again.

hi All,

i installed update 4 last night, it appeared that it installed fine but after the restart there was an error in the log and notifications that due to some reason all volumes were unmounted. The error says "Abnormality detected in nameOfNas. All volumes have been unmounted." How do I mount the volumes again without loosing my data? Do I have to run a command through telnet? I only have 1 HDD installed in the system. I am not that familiar with unix/linux commands so any help would be much appreciated. It says in the storage manager that the disk is initialized. Does that mean I have already lost my data on it? I have apparently lost all previously installed programs and settings as well :sad: Plz help

Cheers,

hi All,

i installed update 4 last night, it appeared that it installed fine but after the restart there was an error in the log and notifications that due to some reason all volumes were unmounted. The error says "Abnormality detected in nameOfNas. All volumes have been unmounted." How do I mount the volumes again without loosing my data? Do I have to run a command through telnet? I only have 1 HDD installed in the system. I am not that familiar with unix/linux commands so any help would be much appreciated. It says in the storage manager that the disk is initialized. Does that mean I have already lost my data on it? I have apparently lost all previously installed programs and settings as well :sad: Plz help

Cheers,

There have been numerous reports of issues with update 4 that require several reboots to resolve. I would suggest rebooting your system at least once if not twice to see if that solves your issue, hopefully it will as it has for most people.

if that does not help, boot from the usb again, but in install/upgrade mode. Do the same first steps as done by normal install and choose migration. Then pay attention to the next step in choosing the option for the volume. Select the one that suggest that you are moving you volume from one synology to a new synology and thus keeping you're data and programms. Then after a reboot you are good to go again and al the programms etc are still there, but without update 4. That worked as a charm for me. Had the same issue even after multiple reboots.

hi All,

Cheers,

There have been numerous reports of issues with update 4 that require several reboots to resolve. I would suggest rebooting your system at least once if not twice to see if that solves your issue, hopefully it will as it has for most people.

Many thanks mate, just a reboot did the trick :smile:

if that does not help, boot from the usb again, but in install/upgrade mode. Do the same first steps as done by normal install and choose migration. Then pay attention to the next step in choosing the option for the volume. Select the one that suggest that you are moving you volume from one synology to a new synology and thus keeping you're data and programms. Then after a reboot you are good to go again and al the programms etc are still there, but without update 4. That worked as a charm for me. Had the same issue even after multiple reboots.

Thanks for your help dude. Fortunately did not have to go through all this as just a simple reboot did the trick :wink:

one more question, my photo station has stopped working from outside my home network. Anyone has any clue about that? I have defined public port 80 to go to my server's port 5000, public port 443 to go to 5001 (for https) but for some reason I just cannot access the photo station from outside. It just says the page you are looking for is not found. Any ideas?

Cheers