XPEnology Community

Trial of Nanoboot (4493) - 5.0.3.1

"It is/was EXTREMLY dangerous to connect any Syno Device to the Internet without the actual DSM Patches."

Yes, I know and i use dsm 5 4493-update 2 so actual patches is it here.

"There are so many Security Holes in the past Releases of DSM."

Yes, but not in DSM 5 - you have provided links to threats to the previous version of DSM ( < 5, not DSM 5)

BTW Nothing more I can do :smile: last update installed :smile:

The only difference between the systems is that I'm using the hacked version of the DSM, so I am not surprised that I was hacked

sure, but from which version do you come ? maybe your system was hacked some time ago ??

and i think you are using a ready nas pro system with some differences, additional installed software like perl, or ??

This files in my root catalog appers after upgrade from gnoboot 10.5 to nanoboot 5.0.3.1 so problem is with nanoboot, and yes installing perl for fan control hack, but perl is from official syno repo.

Before when I use my Readynas with trantor syno or gnoboot I don't any suspicius files - incident or feature :smile:

Nevermind, can try to return to gnoboot.

Jeez... no offence, but your English is crappy and by the way, there is no issue with nanoboot. Going back to gnoboot poses actually a security issue as you don't have the possibility to use latest DSM and patches.

Have you ever thought lately that hacking might have occurred just after using the new nanoboot?

There are hundreds or thousands of us using nanoboot, some with way more IT skills than the average and found nothing wrong with nanoboot.

Cheers mate!

I know that my English is miserable.

What to nanoboot surprise me such a boundless trust in the good intentions of its creators - it is not the original system dsm but hacked to such pretended so - and you know how to do it?

Why only now nanoboot works and does not have a version of the DSM 5 from Trantor or new from gnoboot only Chinese nanoboot?

My system without my knowledge retrieved something from the Chinese www - coincidence?

Earlier it was ok but everything is fine, it's my figment :smile:

Reg.

We all are skeptics, but after doing real checks, you know it's safe. If you're such a panic dude, buy the original Syno. That's not more safe than this but it has direct support! :smile:

That is, you are 100% sure for nanoboot, great!

Then I'll wait for version DSM 5 from Trantor could ever appears :smile:

BTW:

Once I had DS212j - a unique scrap - iscsi transfers 10MB/s (sic!)

My RedayNas Pro is a rocket in comparison with that :smile:

I doubt that Trantor will work on a DSM anytime soon. Hopefully he will still do it but yeah...

We all are skeptics, but after doing real checks, you know it's safe. If you're such a panic dude, buy the original Syno. That's not more safe than this but it has direct support! :smile:

That is, you are 100% sure for nanoboot, great!

Then I'll wait for version DSM 5 from Trantor could ever appears :smile:

BTW:

Once I had DS212j - a unique scrap - iscsi transfers 10MB/s (sic!)

My RedayNas Pro is a rocket in comparison with that :smile:

There is no need to discuss this back and forth. It's very easy to figure this out yabba235, install a brand new Nanoboot system on spare hardware and look for evidence.

I have 3 Nanoboot systems and none of them have these files in root. 2 were upgraded from Trantor, I don't remember about the third as I've tested everything on that system.

The sky is not falling.

Can someone point me to instructions on how to upgrade Gnoboot with 4458U2 to Nanoboot 4493U2 without losing data on my array? I tried searching the forum threads but did not find anything.

1. Create a new USB stick with nanoboot 5.0.3.1 (you can use Rufus to write the ISO to the flash)

2. Download the latest .pat from Synology for your type of machine

3. Re-Boot from the new nanoboot USB flash

4. Select from the boot list Upgrade

5. Navigate to http//yournasip:5000 and follow the on-screen wizard but at a certain point use the MIGRATE MY FILES from the wizard. If you don't know he nas's IP address just use Synology Assistant to find it.

After a successful migration, just use the update menu from DSM's Control Panel to update to Update 2

6. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I will try this in a few days. :grin:

I was able to get Nanoboot 4493 installed on first try in less than 10 minutes on following hardware:

MSI 970A-G43 Motherboard

8 GB (4 GB x 2) DDR3

AMD Phenom II X6 1045T CPU

6 x 2 GB SATA III Hitachi Hard Drives

Generic USB Key

Installed all 6 drives into 6 SATA ports on motherboard

Set BIOS to boot to UEFI USB Key and disabled all other boot items

Used cheap nVidia Video card to see screen during first setup (removed card after setup for 100% headless)

First time I ran the Nanoboot picked upgrade/install... took under 1 minute

Connected with Synology setup assistant and tried to load DSM from 1513 model and it gave errors suggesting I use DS3612xs. Downloaded it and works perfectly.

System shows all 8 GB RAM (only 2 cores and Intel i3 processor) but runs screaming fast.

Was able to let install auto update DSM without issues.

Can not believe how easy and fast and really don't understand all the unnecessary complexity and complaints in the other posts. I fully expected to have to tweak settings and spend time to get things running and was blown away how easy and fast.

Ditched my 2nd data drive on my main computer in favor of an iSCSI LUN from the Synology.

Installed this to replace aging Windows Home Server and will never look back. Using this new homeade NAS device feels like a real storage array not a glorified Windows PC. Able to SSH almost same as EMC VNX/Celerra.

Nanoboot does not seem like a trial at all. I would give it A++ and say it is 100% ready for release.

:mrgreen: Winger2k

I've installed the latest Nanoboot (4493) - 5.0.3.1 into the VirtualBox (4.3.12 r93733) which is running in WHS 2011 (As well as previous version DSM virtual machine Xpenology & Gnoboot), and updated to version 2.

Nanoboot startup is the quickest but the performance is the worst.

I'm copying 200G of data from WHS harddisk to Nanoboot drive, I noticed that the transfer rate is about 1MB/s. The copy file is still in progress after 6 hours.

The VirtualBox config is as same as Gnoboot.

If anyone have the slow transfer rate problem in VirtualBox too?

System shows all 8 GB RAM (only 2 cores and Intel i3 processor) but runs screaming fast.

if you SSH into your DSM and type this:

cat /proc/cpuinfo

you will see that it does detect the actual CPU. The info in DSM might just be incorrect data probably due to the boot image. I'd guess that it could make use of your entire CPU's potential if needed. You'll also see kworker/0, 1, 2, 3 in the proces list and I think each number represents a CPU core which would also confirm that DSM can make full use of your CPU. :cool:

Hello everyone.

I like other reviewers have the asrock q1900-itx

the network card is Realtek RTL8111GR

we have a problem with nanoboot 5.0.3.1

wol does not work.

We tried gnoboot 10.5 alpha and wol works.

this is the report of gnoboot

ethtool-i eth0

Driver: r8168

version: 8.037.00-NAPI

firmware-version:

bus-info: 0000:03:00.0

kindly find the solution? ...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3380&start=60% 20 # p20866

Can someone point me to instructions on how to upgrade Gnoboot with 4458U2 to Nanoboot 4493U2 without losing data on my array? I tried searching the forum threads but did not find anything.

1. Create a new USB stick with nanoboot 5.0.3.1 (you can use Rufus to write the ISO to the flash)

2. Download the latest .pat from Synology for your type of machine

3. Re-Boot from the new nanoboot USB flash

4. Select from the boot list Upgrade

5. Navigate to http//yournasip:5000 and follow the on-screen wizard but at a certain point use the MIGRATE MY FILES from the wizard. If you don't know he nas's IP address just use Synology Assistant to find it.

After a successful migration, just use the update menu from DSM's Control Panel to update to Update 2

6. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apologies if I'm asking a question that's been answered before.

Can I upgrade from 4.2 using the above instructions? Having a few issues of late and really want to upgrade to a more recent version.

Thanks.