XPEnology Community

Trial of Nanoboot (4493) - 5.0.3.1

Does Nanoboot alleviate the write-to-bios corruption issue on reboot as seen in all other variations of this? For those unfamiliar with the issue, I have an old Dell tower for off-site replication and every time I restart the NAS it corrupts the BIOS and sets everything back to defaults. Unfortunately, in my case, when this happens the tower doesn't boot to the correct drive since boot order is reset. There's no BIOS lock feature on this model either.

I'm curious if Nanoboot successfully stops whatever Synology process is attempting to write to the BIOS at reboot.

**Edit**

I'm going to try the suggestions found at the post linked below, but still curious if Nanoboot has taken any measures to stop from writing to the BIOS.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3073

Sorry, Noob need help...

Dears,

My wifi dongle is not activated through nanoboot. My dongle is a Dlink DWA140 (hardware B1) and seem to need the module 'rt2870sta.ko'

I connected the nas though SSH, and I was not able to find this module in /lib/modules

How may i solve this ?

Nanobot works pretty well through ethernet cable but i would like to switch to wifi.

Thanks for your support,

Regards

DcaMan

Hi,

I can't properly access my files after I upgraded to nanoboot 5.0.2.4.

When I try to create a folder, the error is: There is a problem accessing Z:\ Make sure you are connected to the network and try again.

When I try to copy files to the NAS (writing), it freezes up, crashes, (keyboard clicks don't work anymore).

Copying files from the NAS (reading) is most of the time a problem too, but the system does not appear to crash. The error there is "an error occured while reconnecting Z: to \\xxx.yyy.zzz\folder . Mirosoft Windows Network: the local device name is already in use. This connection has not been restored".

Browsing through folders and files does not seem to be a problem on client side.

I'm not sure what is causing it...

I have 3 network cards:

- onboard Realtek RTL8111E (uses RTL8168 driver)

- RTL8169 PCI card

- INTEL PCI1000

I have the same problems using each card individually (the other cards not connected at that time).

Can anybody help please ?

What is the maximum off disks you can have in this build and what size altogether in TB?

I would guesstimate being that it's based on a 12 disk NAS 12 disks @60TB

First number in the model shows the maximum number of supported drives for single volume/disk group, including expansion units. Last two digits is a generation/year.

DS3612 -(introduced is 2012) total of 36 drives. 12 internal and 2 x 12 in the expansion units DX1211. At the time of introduction the largest SATA drive was 3TB, so official documentation stated 108TB total capacity. With larger new drives probably more now.

What is the maximum off disks you can have in this build and what size altogether in TB?

First number in the model shows the maximum number of supported drives for single volume/disk group, including expansion units. Last two digits is a generation/year.

DS3612 -(introduced is 2012) total of 36 drives. 12 internal and 2 x 12 in the expansion units DX1211. At the time of introduction the largest SATA drive was 3TB, so official documentation stated 108TB total capacity. With larger new drives probably more now.

Okey. Butt people are having problem with unmounting volume or disks. And problem expandind existing volume? Or is it another build?

Just read that you cant have volume bigger than 16tb (wich are ext4). And i want one volume with 12x4tb in one volume

Okey. Butt people are having problem with unmounting volume or disks. And problem expandind existing volume? Or is it another build?

Just read that you cant have volume bigger than 16tb (wich are ext4). And i want one volume with 12x4tb in one volume

I'm running 13 2 TB drives in a single drive group and single volume. I'm in the process of replacing them with 4TB drives and have had no problems yet. My old volume was just over 20 TB so there is definitely not a 16 TB limit.

found this in a swidish forum. anyone have this problem?

"EXT4-fs warning (device dm-1): ext4_resize_fs:1997: No reserved GDT blocks, can't resize"

dont want to run in to problems expanding an existing volume cause i am gonna move my disks from my current rig to a home built nas. and gonna move 2x4tb disks to start whit then move data from 2x4tb disks to the nas and then move the empty disks fom the gaming rig and so on. untill i have moved all my drives and data from my rig to the nas. is that possible? how many times can you expand the same volume? like one big disk if you know what i mean. dont want a bunch of volums. if i wanted that i would stay whit my gaming rig :razz: