XPEnology Community

Trial of Nanoboot (4493) - 5.0.3.1

Hey Guys,

Not sure where i should be on the forums regarding this question, so forgive me for being a missguided fool.

I have Trantors Beta 5.0 release, which isnt too bad so far only the Google Chrome via Video Station seems to be causing issues but it still works to my Smart TV. So i have seen these and wondered if there is a topic or thread where Trantor has released any information regarding an update to DSM 4482.

Thank you Guys!! :smile:

Hi all,

How can I install Nanoboot in ESXI 5.5 ? is any Tutorial Hier ?

I have managed to install Nanoboot-5.0.2.3 DSM 5.0-4482 in ESXi 5.5. What I did was rewrite the syslinux boot menu to grub and use the partition scheme from gnoboot 10.5.

After this I created the .VMDK files with StarWind V2V.

The .IMG and .VMDK files are on my site http://www.xpenology.nl/boot-images.

A tutorial on ESXi 5.5 see http://www.xpenology.nl/vmware-installatie.

The site is in Dutch. Use the Goolge translate function on the site.

Great, Thanks

Im in the situation that i have a HP MediaSmart Server EX 490 with upgraded CPU. For those of you who don't know the box it's a small server holding up to 4 drives. It is born with Windows Home Server, but that software isn't for me, since I find it very resource heavy. There is no display port and therefore I'm not able to connect a monitor.

I managed to install the Xpenology DSM 4.2 build on it and it has been working great for a long time now, but the last couple of days the Resource monitor tells me that a task named LIBC5 is using 49% cpu (and there is 2 of them) so my fan is completely fucked.

Now for the question:

Is there a way to install DSM 5.0 (4482) with or without nanoboot/gnoboot when I'm not able to connect a monitor. For me it seems like the guides for both gnoboot and nanoboot requires a monitor. Anyone who could clarify this or perhaps have some idea's on how to install the DSM software?

Essentially you could just press down and enter and guess the key combination :grin: or ofcourse the better idea is to use ESXi since that is managed remotely from another system, hence why many are using it with headless severs :smile: Either way i have guides on how to install gnoboot on both esxi and without and nanoboot, they technically require a monitor but it's essentially down enter or down down enter :smile: just look at the pictures :smile:, my tutorials can be found

Hello,

I also have a EX490 Headless. But the problem is, that it will not work with arrow keys, because it is disabled or something. also if i keep hitting F11 or Del key, the machine boots up normaly.

so if someone has a solution for this, it will be great!.

thanks!

Just tried this, highly recommended. Way easier to convert the .IMG than manually creating the .VMDK (5 secs instead of half an hour). Be aware that an IDE VMWare pre-allocated VMDK should be created, not the ESX variant.

Is there any easy way to change an img file to VMDK?

StarWind V2V

I just tried my test setup with a VMDK converted from an IMG by V2V and can't see any problems so far - mind you, the test setup is pretty simple and runs only Audiostation.

You are correct BUT I had problems with the Nanoboot conversion. So did some editing and now my alterd version is using gnoboot fat and partition style.

See my signature for downloads.

Im in the situation that i have a HP MediaSmart Server EX 490 with upgraded CPU. For those of you who don't know the box it's a small server holding up to 4 drives. It is born with Windows Home Server, but that software isn't for me, since I find it very resource heavy. There is no display port and therefore I'm not able to connect a monitor.

I managed to install the Xpenology DSM 4.2 build on it and it has been working great for a long time now, but the last couple of days the Resource monitor tells me that a task named LIBC5 is using 49% cpu (and there is 2 of them) so my fan is completely fucked.

Now for the question:

Is there a way to install DSM 5.0 (4482) with or without nanoboot/gnoboot when I'm not able to connect a monitor. For me it seems like the guides for both gnoboot and nanoboot requires a monitor. Anyone who could clarify this or perhaps have some idea's on how to install the DSM software?

Essentially you could just press down and enter and guess the key combination :grin: or ofcourse the better idea is to use ESXi since that is managed remotely from another system, hence why many are using it with headless severs :smile: Either way i have guides on how to install gnoboot on both esxi and without and nanoboot, they technically require a monitor but it's essentially down enter or down down enter :smile: just look at the pictures :smile:, my tutorials can be found

Hello,

I also have a EX490 Headless. But the problem is, that it will not work with arrow keys, because it is disabled or something. also if i keep hitting F11 or Del key, the machine boots up normaly.

so if someone has a solution for this, it will be great!.

thanks!

WOW :shock::shock::shock:

Just got it working :grin::grin::grin:

i removed all 4 disk, booted nanoboot with USB in the lowest USB port. When i want to install DSM, i got the error that there are no disk.

So now i put in my 4 HDD's and refreshed the webpage. Synoloy detected my drives and i was able to install the newest original .PAT file.

There was a moment that the installation was showing "Formatting". (not a big problem for me because it is still a testing device).

But after the installation was complete, everything is working and i still have my data on all disk :grin::grin::grin::grin:

So there is now also a solution for headless systems. :lol::lol::lol:

EDIT:

I've to admit...

i think all settings are gone in Synology, but that's not a big deal for me. that all data is in place is verry nice.

So if someone will try this, remember that you have to setup you synology settings again.

Hi!

I have installed NanoBoot x86 5.0.2.4 on an Intel Pentium M x86 CPU/motherboard with an Intel NIC; I can boot up via USB and get to the Web-installation/migration page.

Having tried to install several times, getting through the "updating" proces, I never get to the DSM log in page- I seem to be stuck on the DSM-install/migrate web-interface with a "configuration lost" - Migration possible- status.

The console output indicates an execution error after starting to boot Startup Daemons, i.e. the web-management interface etc. Please see photo of boot-console here: http://peecee.dk/upload/view/437984

Edit: added picture of console with Debug boot: http://peecee.dk/upload/view/437990

Does anyone else that have a similar problem with either the x86 or x64 version? Any advice?

Be aware that an IDE VMWare pre-allocated VMDK should be created, not the ESX variant.

Not so here. I'm using the ESX variant with SCSI controllers (e.g., VMware Paravirtual) as device 0:0. Works like a charm.

My problem was that the disk got overwritten or the vm didn't boot.

That's right, but that happens only on the very first (completely fresh) install of DSM. Just power off the VM, replace Nanoboot .vmdk and boot normal. Everything works.

After that one can just replace the Nanoboot .vmdk with a new version if available. DSM continues to work as before. At least my experience here. Did this the last couple of updates.

Be aware that an IDE VMWare pre-allocated VMDK should be created, not the ESX variant.

Not so here. I'm using the ESX variant with SCSI controllers (e.g., VMware Paravirtual) as device 0:0. Works like a charm.

My problem was that the disk got overwritten or the vm didn't boot.

That's right, but that happens only on the very first (completely fresh) install of DSM. Just power off the VM, replace Nanoboot .vmdk and boot normal. Everything works.

After that one can just replace the Nanoboot .vmdk with a new version if available. DSM continues to work as before. At least my experience here. Did this the last couple of updates.

The first time I did that I found it irritating that I had to replace the Nanoboot .vmdk. So instead of using SCSI I used the IDE pre-allocated .vmdk. Everything went ok. No more replacing. I'm using ESXi 5.5 update 1.

So bottom line, both options should work.

What I don't like about the gnoboot or nanoboot is that they use different boot menu's and menu option descriptions. It isn't clear to me what 'gnoboot.me' is or 'alpha'. So I did some editing and created the same boot menu's for both versions with the same layout and description. It's also easier for new persons to understand. Maybe a tip for upcoming releases to have a better description in the menu's?

That happens because DSM is seeing your boot drive. If you use ide for your vdmk boot drive you can rmmod=at a_piix so that drive won't be detected.

edit boot\syslinux\syslinux.cfg

I tried

LABEL Synology DSM 5.0
 MENU LABEL Synology DSM 5.0
 kernel /zImage ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 syno_hw_version=DS3612xs  sn=B3J4N01003 vid=0x0EA0 pid=0x2168 loglevel=0 vga=0x305 insmod=usbserial.ko,ftdi_sio.ko

As I did my script to insmod, it's not a problem. But I would like to learm how the insmod parameter should be added to syslinux.cfg. Please, is the above way the right method? It didn't work here.

The first time I did that I found it irritating that I had to replace the Nanoboot .vmdk. So instead of using SCSI I used the IDE pre-allocated .vmdk. Everything went ok. No more replacing.

That's strange. No difference here with IDE, same need to replace the .vmdk after 1st install. 5.5u1 also.

That happens because DSM is seeing your boot drive. If you use ide for your vdmk boot drive you can rmmod=at a_piix so that drive won't be detected.

So at least some fiddling seems necessary. Either replace .vmdk or "rmmod=at a_piix", of which I don't have an idea what it means.

In case someone wants to try my all-SCSI solution, here is an .ova: http://tinyurl.com/pros2tr

Just add an VMXNET3 nic and it's ready to go. (admin, no pw, dhcp, vmware tools installed).

Like I said, once it's installed just replace the (small) .vmdk with a newer version of StarWind-V2V-ESXi-converted Nanoboot if available.

The first time I did that I found it irritating that I had to replace the Nanoboot .vmdk. So instead of using SCSI I used the IDE pre-allocated .vmdk. Everything went ok. No more replacing.

That's strange. No difference here with IDE, same need to replace the .vmdk after 1st install. 5.5u1 also.

So at least some fiddling seems necessary. Either replace .vmdk or "rmmod=at a_piix", of which I don't have an idea what it means.

In case someone wants to try my all-SCSI solution, here is an .ova: http://tinyurl.com/pros2tr

Just add an VMXNET3 nic and it's ready to go. (admin, no pw, dhcp, vmware tools installed).

Like I said, once it's installed just replace the (small) .vmdk with a newer version of StarWind-V2V-ESXi-converted Nanoboot if available.

It should read rmmod=ata_piix, typed it from my phone and it autocorrected. Anyway, that has to be added to the boot config of either grub, or syslinux. In order to do it, the img or vdmk must be mounted, then you'll see the boot files and config files.

example; at D:\boot\syslinux\syslinux.cfg you'll see the following:

PROMPT 0
TIMEOUT 50
DEFAULT /boot/syslinux/vesamenu.c32

MENU WIDTH 0
MENU MARGIN 5
MENU RESOLUTION 800 600
MENU BACKGROUND /boot/syslinux/synology.png
MENU TITLE NanoBoot Produced by Sancome

menu color border      1;30;44    #FF000000 #00000000 none
menu color title       1;36;44    #FF000000 #00000000 none
menu color sel         1;30;37    #FFFFFF00 #00000000 none
menu color unsel       1;37;44    #FF000000 #00000000 none
menu color timeout     1;37;40    #FFFFFF00 #00000000 none

LABEL Synology DSM 5.0
 MENU LABEL Synology DSM 5.0
 kernel /zImage ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 syno_hw_version=DS3612xs sn=B3J4N01003 vid=0x0EA0 pid=0x2168 loglevel=0 vga=0x305

MENU SEPARATOR

LABEL Synology DSM 5.0 (Debug)
 MENU LABEL Synology DSM 5.0 (Debug)
 kernel /zImage ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 syno_hw_version=DS3612xs sn=B3J4N01003 vid=0x0EA0 pid=0x2168 loglevel=7 vga=0x305 debug

MENU SEPARATOR

MENU BEGIN
MENU LABEL Synology DSM 5.0 (Upgrade/Degrade)

LABEL Synology DSM 5.0-4482
 MENU LABEL Synology DSM 5.0-4482
 kernel /zImage ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 syno_hw_version=DS3612xs sn=B3J4N01003 vid=0x0EA0 pid=0x2168 loglevel=0 vga=0x305 upgrade=5.0-4482

MENU SEPARATOR

LABEL Synology DSM 5.0-4458
 MENU LABEL Synology DSM 5.0-4458
 kernel /zImage ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 syno_hw_version=DS3612xs sn=B3J4N01003 vid=0x0EA0 pid=0x2168 loglevel=0 vga=0x305 upgrade=5.0-4458

MENU SEPARATOR

LABEL Synology DSM 5.0-4418
 MENU LABEL Synology DSM 5.0-4418
 kernel /zImage ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 syno_hw_version=DS3612xs sn=B3J4N01003 vid=0x0EA0 pid=0x2168 loglevel=0 vga=0x305 upgrade=5.0-4418

MENU SEPARATOR

LABEL Main Menu
 MENU LABEL Main Menu
 MENU GOTO .top

MENU END

MENU SEPARATOR

LABEL Reboot
 MENU LABEL Reboot
 kernel /boot/syslinux/reboot.c32

MENU SEPARATOR

LABEL Shutdown
 MENU LABEL Shutdown
 kernel /boot/syslinux/poweroff.com

just add rmmod=ata_piix to the kernel /zImage lines. And it will prevent the IDE controller from loading, then DSM won't see your boot drive (if it's IDE).