XPEnology Community

Creating the ideal hardware

plusPlus

Hello all,

I tested DSM 4.2 Build 3202 on Virtualbox and I'm enthusiastic of the great functionality. Now I want to build my own NAS. The specifications should be similar to the following:

Intel Atom Dual-Core (D2500) - I doesn't want to use a bigger CPU (Pentium, Celeron, i3...) because of the power consumption.

2GB RAM

2x Gigabit LAN (for example Intel D2500CCE, with NM10 chipset)

But I can't find good informations in this forum if this hardware is compatible with the mainboard (maybe because of the two NICs). I doesn't want to buy the hardware and the result could be that it's not runable.

Has somebody a good answer?

Thank you!!!

Use hp N40L it's' "cheap" and it's ready to use, it comes with 4 bay, if you flash a modified bios, any bay could act as hot-swap bay.

For home use it's' perfect, less power, less rumor, at list you can have 16TB of space if you use 4TB hDD , for some of more reliable, you have to buy dedicated cabinet with several hot-swap bay, put in some MB with dedicated controller to drive bays, compile kernel with the drivers to support the mb hardware, follow the istructions to install DSM.

if he were to build a unit from scratch why the need for hot swap bays? if it just going to be used as a home nas there really is no need..

But it's free with hp n40L you can use normal bios instead of modified bios and no hotswap il coming :grin:

if he were to build a unit from scratch why the need for hot swap bays? if it just going to be used as a home nas there really is no need..

But it's free with hp n40L you can use normal bios instead of modified bios and no hotswap il coming :grin:

But the n40L's are no longer cheaper to buy as the £100 cashback offer has stopped making them £200+, hopefully they will offer the same cashback with the N54L..

But the n40L's are no longer cheaper to buy as the £100 cashback offer has stopped making them £200+, hopefully they will offer the same cashback with the N54L..

Hi Mitt, how much it cost if you buy any component apart?

cabine, mainborad, cpu ram, the hard trick is a real nas cabinet, they dont be cheap, if you use regular cabine, it's' cheap but you lost the "nas" type.

When i decide to build my nas i'm starting to get some information about nas cabinet and i saw that they dont be cheap, so, my friends tell me about hp n40l, i buy on amazon for 190 € with 2 giga ram and one 250 Gbyte hdd for me the price was the rigth price, now the price grows up.

• 9 months later...
Hello all,

I tested DSM 4.2 Build 3202 on Virtualbox and I'm enthusiastic of the great functionality. Now I want to build my own NAS. The specifications should be similar to the following:

Intel Atom Dual-Core (D2500) - I doesn't want to use a bigger CPU (Pentium, Celeron, i3...) because of the power consumption.

2GB RAM

2x Gigabit LAN (for example Intel D2500CCE, with NM10 chipset)

But I can't find good informations in this forum if this hardware is compatible with the mainboard (maybe because of the two NICs). I doesn't want to buy the hardware and the result could be that it's not runable.

Has somebody a good answer?

Thank you!!!

Hi,

I am running DSM 5.0 Beta on a Intel D2500CCE Board without any issues so far!

2GB RAM / 250GB 2,5" SATA Harddrive. (Just for playing around ...)