XPEnology Community

Install on QNAP TS-670?

thatdood

Hello everyone, I just came across this thanks to a friend of mine. I've been thinking about selling my QNAP TS670 NAS because the software and apps tend to be buggy. QNAP is also a PITA when it comes to SSL certs and adding intermediates. That being said it's pretty rock solid hardware, running Intel i7 3770T with 16GB of RAM. Is it possible to install on QNAP?

It depends highly on the BIOS of that device. But to tell you the truth, you can probably build the same config, in a different casing, for less money - you're paying up to 50% of the price for the OS you're not going to use any way.

I checked on Amazon, the TS670 costs 1400USD approx, plus shipping. I also built a fast little NAS, and it's less than 950USD (plus shipping)!

Case: BitFenix Phenom

Motherboard: ASUS Z87I-Deluxe

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770S

RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1866 2x8GB

PSU: Corsair RM 550W (bit of an overkill, the whole system eats around 250W with 6HDDs)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master GeminiII M4 58.4 CFM

The motherboard is a powerhouse, it has 6 SATA3 connectors, 6 USB3 and 4 USB2.0 ports on the back plus a header for the front, a PCIe 3.0 slot, DVI-D, HDMI and DisplayPort built in, AND, most importantly, built in WiFi AC.

The case supports miniITX boards only, but has a nice spacey interior, with up to 6 HDD slots. Or, if you have the money, I'd suggest that you go for the OrigenAE S21T - pricey, but awesome little case! Originally for HTPCs, and you might have some struggle to get the display working with a desktop environment, but it is worth the hassle. Not the money, but the hassle.

Or, if you feel like going over the roof with the motherboard, you can go for a Maximus VI Impact. It has extra BT4.0, and while losing 2 SATA headers, you get an extra SSD slot on the back. Besides, you can get the SATA headers back with an expansion card.

And all of this, for under 1000USD. I think it's a better deal, and you know for sure that it will run Synology properly.