XPEnology Community

Awful graphics performance in DSM 6.2 Virtual Machines

Sass

Hello,

I've installed a DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 6 - DS918+ - on a bare metal server and it works perfectly with exception of an NVMe SDD.

But there is a problem with VM Machines that I can't find a solution to: the graphics performance in Virtual Windows Machines is piss poor...

The problem seems to be that there is no graphics acceleration whatsoever in Win7 or Win10 virtual machines. Tried some very basic games (e.g. a simple Tetris), and some are telling me that the graphics are relying on software only.

Now I've already replaced the basic Microsoft drivers with up to date VirtIO driver (qxldod from virtio-win-0.1.141.iso), but there is no improvement. I've tried to freshly reinstall Win10 in the VM - no improvement. But in comparison, with a VMWare12 Virtual Win7 or Win10 Machine on a Win10 host on my desktop computer, the graphics performance is far better.

Just to be clear, I don't expect to do 3D Shooters in a DSM VM. But when even some Internet pages show slow scrolling, there seems to be something wrong.

Or do I have to migrate DSM to ESXi to solve that? There are no related parameters in the Virtual Machine Manager, as far as I recognized, but I hope I missed something.

Here's some of my server hardware (which is even faster than my 6year old desktop(!), apart from the missing graphics card...).

Motherboard: ASUS P11C-I (Mini-ITX)

Chipset: Intel C242

CPU: Intel Core i3-8100 (Socket 1151v2) 4x 3.60GHz

RAM: 2x 8GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-2400 DIMM CL15 (running as DDR4-2100 according to BIOS)

Integrated NIC: 2x Gb LAN (Intel I210-AT)

I'd be very grateful for any useful insights, so thanks in advance!!!

Edited by Sass
grammar

Have you tried a linux install of say Mint or Ubuntu VMs to see how that o/s behaves? If its the same then might point to a DSM/VMM graphics issue.

Looking at the spec of your system, I'd have thought you would make better use of the setup with ESXi and VMs of DSM, W10 etc.

I've tried to install Ubuntu and Kubuntu in a fresh DSM VM, but both install procedures stopped at the screen where the time zone needs to be selected - on both systems, I pressed 'continue' but the system did not do anything after.

I also tried to import a VMWare machine of Ubuntu that was running perfectly fine in VMWare, but it didn't run in a DSM VM.

Can you confirm that hardware acceleration is working in your DSM VM's?

On 5/22/2019 at 8:23 PM, Sass said:

Hello,

I've installed a DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 6 - DS918+ - on a bare metal server and it works perfectly with exception of an NVMe SDD.

But there is a problem with VM Machines that I can't find a solution to: the graphics performance in Virtual Windows Machines is piss poor...

The problem seems to be that there is no graphics acceleration whatsoever in Win7 or Win10 virtual machines. Tried some very basic games (e.g. a simple Tetris), and some are telling me that the graphics are relying on software only.

Now I've already replaced the basic Microsoft drivers with up to date VirtIO driver (qxldod from virtio-win-0.1.141.iso), but there is no improvement. I've tried to freshly reinstall Win10 in the VM - no improvement. But in comparison, with a VMWare12 Virtual Win7 or Win10 Machine on a Win10 host on my desktop computer, the graphics performance is far better.

Just to be clear, I don't expect to do 3D Shooters in a DSM VM. But when even some Internet pages show slow scrolling, there seems to be something wrong.

Or do I have to migrate DSM to ESXi to solve that? There are no related parameters in the Virtual Machine Manager, as far as I recognized, but I hope I missed something.

Here's some of my server hardware (which is even faster than my 6year old desktop(!), apart from the missing graphics card...).

Motherboard: ASUS P11C-I (Mini-ITX)

Chipset: Intel C242

CPU: Intel Core i3-8100 (Socket 1151v2) 4x 3.60GHz

RAM: 2x 8GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-2400 DIMM CL15 (running as DDR4-2100 according to BIOS)

Integrated NIC: 2x Gb LAN (Intel I210-AT)

I'd be very grateful for any useful insights, so thanks in advance!!!

Hi Connect with teamviewer or RDP /change the graphicadapter .../ etc 

I'm connecting via DSM for the initial setup, but once RDP is working, I always connect with RDP, which is more responsive.

3 hours ago, nemesis122 said:

Hi Connect with teamviewer or RDP /change the graphicadapter .../ etc 

When you say 'change the graphics adapter', do you have a specific one in mind? Is it maybe feasible to install a driver that's for the original CPU-internal GPU? I suspected that this won't work, since DSM is the 'hardware'.

On 5/24/2019 at 3:58 PM, nemesis122 said:

hi

Nope but only for testing

I have also tested  with windows 7 i have the best performance also connected with RDP .

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44989

Tried the RDP Manager from MS, but the VM graphics are just as slow.

Still couldn't get a Linux to be installed in a VM, so I can't try that as a comparison.

Anyway, thanks for the tips in this thread so far!

Easy fix for Windows VM's, change the video adapter to cirrus (within VMM - VM options) and install the latest fedora QEMU tools rather than synology's which are much older (even their latest tools iso). VM will run normally after doing this.

Link to Federa windows QEMU driver iso: https://fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/direct-downloads/archive-virtio/virtio-win-0.1.164-1/virtio-win-0.1.164.iso

Enjoy :)

Edited by carts
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2019 at 10:09 PM, carts said:

Easy fix for Windows VM's, change the video adapter to cirrus (within VMM - VM options) and install the latest fedora QEMU tools rather than synology's which are much older (even their latest tools iso). VM will run normally after doing this.

Link to Federa windows QEMU driver iso: https://fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/direct-downloads/archive-virtio/virtio-win-0.1.164-1/virtio-win-0.1.164.iso

YES, that helped! I also reinstalled DirectX (simply using dxwebsetup.exe) and the graphics look much smoother now. Also no more error messages about software rendering only.

Thank you!!!

• 1 year later...
On 5/30/2019 at 3:09 AM, carts said:

Install Federa on Windows 10 virtual machine or on Remote machine ?!

I've install on windows 10 virtual machine but remote mouse move too slow...