XPEnology Community

Update DSM. Should i do it?

djkay2637

Hi Guys,

I have been running XPEnology 4.3-3810 for quite a while now on my HP N54L and everything is great. DSM pops up asking me to update but i always decline in fear that it may not be compatible and or worse loose my data. What should i do? Is it OK to let the DSM auto update? I don't have 4tb of free space anywhere to make any real kind of full system backup and i don't want to risk it.

Many thanks.

Dan

That's really up to you Dan, what are your reasons for updating? Functionality, features or just because a new version is available.

My main system is an N40 running 4.2 very happily without issues & I have no plans to update it yet. I also have a N54 running 5.0 4458 which is also running without issues.

I prefer the look of 4.2 but some of the features of 5 I.e. it is much easier to configure external access on 5 & some of the inbuilt tools are better.

My point is that there really is no need to update & if you look at the Synology forums a lot of users there haven't updated to 5 yet.

Hi Guys,

I have been running XPEnology 4.3-3810 for quite a while now on my HP N54L and everything is great. DSM pops up asking me to update but i always decline in fear that it may not be compatible and or worse loose my data. What should i do? Is it OK to let the DSM auto update? I don't have 4tb of free space anywhere to make any real kind of full system backup and i don't want to risk it.

Many thanks.

Dan

The auto-update won't work with 4.3-3810 anyway, you'd need to perform some manual actions to get it working.

I have the same Problem/Question....Currently I am still use the version 4.3 3810 v4 on my two N54L NAS.

Works very fine and stable without Problems. But I have great worry about the known security

problems in DSM 4.3 v4...:sad:

I do not need the newest DSM 5 Version but I would like to have the current/latest DSM 4.3 4244 Version (when

Synology finally releases the final 4.3 4244 Version....)

I hope someone will soon find a safe and easy way for the Update and i can update my Trantors XPEnology 4.3 3810 v4 to

the latest and secure Version 4.3 4244.....

Ok thanks. Would this manual intervention require me to format my drives? I can't afford this to happen. There was a few applications that I wanted to try that wouldn't work on 4.3 thats all.

Thanks again

Dan

Installing the major update is much the same as the original installation that you performed. The difference is that you are presented with a migration options which preserves your existing data.

You will need the latest Trantor Beta build there is a link in the OP of this thread http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1700. The Beta is perfectly stable in my experience and includes better security, plus you can apply the latest Synology minor patch which deals with the Heartbleed issue among other minor changes.

If your machine is accessible over the public network then updating is a no brainer - if your NAS only serves machines within a secure local environment then the need for applying the updates is less critical.

If you search the forum you will find some threads where people have discussed the update path that you will need to follow. Most people had no issues or data loss. Obviously you should perform a backup before applying any updates, even if you only backup your critical data. No one is responsible for the security of your data but you so it's your call whether you back up or not!