XPEnology Community

6.2.2 upgrade - did not go to plan

Hostilian

OK, so I screwed up.. Checked the updates reports and it seemed that a few people had success  with the same Mobo as me..

Tried it and no NAS on the network.

I have a J3455-itx board.

Should say it's 1.04b loader on DS918+

Anyway, wondered if there was a way to reset the nic config (kind of like the button at the back of an actual Synology). Any way to do this at boot?

I have a network bond configured with LACP/link aggregation configured, so if I could clear this out of the network configuration (dunno how as I cannot connect to it) that might help...

If not, I've another 6.2.1 update 6 flash drive ready to do a restore, of sorts..

Not ideal but hey ho..  :(

Using a 1.04b USB drive with 6.2.1 u6 on it sees the disks, but the only option on the console is to 'RECOVER'.

It then installs DSM without prompting (assume 6.2.2 again) and I can no longer see the Synology box on the network.

Any ideas please?

Cheers,

H

Edited by Hostilian

Probably the same..
RAID1 is just a mirror, so it should still work without the second disk..

I would try..

Configure your box with a new blank HDD on the previous DSM version on Sata port 1.. Do not configure any new shares or disks - just the base Synology install..

Shut down and add in the 1st disk of your RAID1 pair to Sata port 2 (use whichever disk was connected to this port before - though dont think it makes a difference)..

Reboot until it sees the drive, it should ask you if you want to repair the boot partition (or something similar). Your shares etc should appear as if by magic..

Shut down and remove the 'new' Sata disk from Sata port 1..

Boot up the box..

If it looks OK, shut down and add the other RAID1 disk on Sata port 1.

Boot the box, do the same 'repair option' again..

That should be it...

On 5/19/2019 at 12:43 PM, Hostilian said:

Probably the same..
RAID1 is just a mirror, so it should still work without the second disk..

I would try..

Configure your box with a new blank HDD on the previous DSM version on Sata port 1.. Do not configure any new shares or disks - just the base Synology install..

Shut down and add in the 1st disk of your RAID1 pair to Sata port 2 (use whichever disk was connected to this port before - though dont think it makes a difference)..

Reboot until it sees the drive, it should ask you if you want to repair the boot partition (or something similar). Your shares etc should appear as if by magic..

Shut down and remove the 'new' Sata disk from Sata port 1..

Boot up the box..

If it looks OK, shut down and add the other RAID1 disk on Sata port 1.

Boot the box, do the same 'repair option' again..

That should be it...

thanks very much for your help!

Actually this method worked for me:

WARNING: you'll loose your configuration and installed apps!

1. create the syno pendrive from scratch (it's corrupted during upgrade)
  2. create an ubuntu live pendrive
  3. boot up linux and open terminal
  4. sudo -i
  5. apt-get install mdadm lvm2
  6. mdadm -Asf && vgchange -ay
  7. fdisk -l | grep /dev/sd
  8. mdadm -AU byteorder /dev/md0 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1                 (and list all your first partitions of the disks)
  9. mkfs.ext4 /dev/md0
  10. now all your 1st partitions are formatted, reboot removing ubuntu pendrive and inserting syno pen
  11. choose reinstall
  12. use manual install and select last working PAT
  13. wait....., and you'll be DONE (of course all apps and configs are lost, but data should be there)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2019 at 3:35 PM, Rabby said:

thanks very much for your help!

Actually this method worked for me:

WARNING: you'll loose your configuration and installed apps!

1. create the syno pendrive from scratch (it's corrupted during upgrade)
  2. create an ubuntu live pendrive
  3. boot up linux and open terminal
  4. sudo -i
  5. apt-get install mdadm lvm2
  6. mdadm -Asf && vgchange -ay
  7. fdisk -l | grep /dev/sd
  8. mdadm -AU byteorder /dev/md0 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1                 (and list all your first partitions of the disks)
  9. mkfs.ext4 /dev/md0
  10. now all your 1st partitions are formatted, reboot removing ubuntu pendrive and inserting syno pen
  11. choose reinstall
  12. use manual install and select last working PAT
  13. wait....., and you'll be DONE (of course all apps and configs are lost, but data should be there)

THIS!

thanks @Rabby, this worked perfectly for me too

• 1 month later...

Is there any way to downgrade a previous 1.02b with 6.1.7 on a 3615xs, updated to 1.04 918+ 6.2.2 back to 6.2 or lower?
Running baremetal, luckily got it running again but wanna go back to a lower kernel and get virtualbox / phpvirtualbox running again.
Got tons of packages and config on my xpeno, so need to get it migraded and not have to reinstall it all...
Now on kernel 4.4.59+ :| , not supported so fml
VMM only supports 1 virtual machine, phpvirtualbox was a champ here!

Can't find if anyone got this figured out...
Sorry for asking

@magnetio Save DSM configuration, delete /etc.default, insert flash with 1.02b and install 6.1.7 manualy from the pat file, restore DSM configuration. But in this case you will got the fresh installation and you'll need to install all packages again.

Edited by Olegin

11 hours ago, Olegin said:

@magnetio Save DSM configuration, delete /etc.default, insert flash with 1.02b and install 6.1.7 manualy from the pat file, restore DSM configuration. But in this case you will got the fresh installation and you'll need to install all packages again.

Oke thanks for the fast reply, so just package reinstall but i'll keep all the shared folders?