XPEnology Community

upload speed is low and varies

bossini

Hi,

i´m just taking my first steps on Expenology. I have a Qnap NAS that works fine but I want to get something bigger in the meaning of number of HD´s.

So I installed the 4.3 version on 2 machines to check if it is a hardware problem - not VM´s - to check for the reason. One is an old Asus P5Q MB with Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 CPU and 4 GB RAM, the other is an Gigabyte Z77 DS3H MB with Intel i5 3570 CPU and 16 GB RAM. So both should have enough power. I tested it with a normal HD and also with SSD.

While uploading files to the disks station, the upload speed starts about 117 MB/s and than drops to 40 MB/s or even 0 and varies also a lot. Downloading files to the PC (Mac) works better but speed is also not stable.

Doing the same on Qnap, speed is at 111-117 and stable (up and download)

Any Idea what the problem might be?

Speed.jpg.d03fba78098293260c244165ba481077.jpg

Hi bossini,

Speed depends highly on the disks you have in your volume, so please give some details about them too.

Nevertheless, check load on the HDDs when you're doing these tests

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Schnapps,

I first tested with a WD Red 3 TB. When I discovered the problem I put in a Samsung 840 pro SSD to eliminate the speed issue of a HD. The SSD is much faster than the network. Both HD´s are empty and the system is clean - BIOS set to default.

My only idea is that I have to make some changes on the bios of the Motherboard. Both PC´s worked fine with Windows or Mac (Hackintosh) before and no speed problem or slow down while transfering before. So it must be a combination of MB-settings and Software that causes the problem.

Best