XPEnology Community

gnoboot & DSM 5.0-4482 - Experiences?

DerWuff

look this ... no problem ...

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2973

30671954482.jpg

édit 2 files in the File Station -> USBShare ...( folder GRUB )

menu_me.lst witth this :

timeout 5

default 0

fallback 2

title gnoboot-5.0-4482 (install/upgrade/downgrade)

root (hd0,0)

kernel /zImage gnoboot_me=5.0-4482

title gnoboot-5.0-4458 (install/upgrade/downgrade)

root (hd0,0)

kernel /zImage gnoboot_me=5.0-4458

title main menu

configfile (hd0,0)/boot/grub/menu.lst

menu_alpha.lst with this :

timeout 5

default 0

fallback 1

title gnoboot-alpha

root (hd0,0)

kernel /zImage gnoboot-alpha=5.0-4482

title main menu

configfile (hd0,0)/boot/grub/menu.lst

install version 4482.pat as a new installation with Synology Assistant ( 4482.pat file )

as before edit line for the serial number and insmod for the network card compatibiliy

PC

Just tried that on my HP N54L and it booted straight back in to 4458 with no option in synology assistant to upgrade ect

. The same update came up but with 2 errors for the temp file.

Thanks anyway friend.

When you booted, did you select gnoboot.me or let it boot from gnoboot-alpha ?

Oh I see. I don't have anything to connect the N54L to, so this why I can't do it :sad:

I will have to wait for gnoBoot for a fix. Thanks again for your help mate.

It's a strange thing. The new 4482 version kills all data volumes' device node under /dev directory. Even if I manually add back the block device node using "mknod" command, they will be removed immediately.

I guess that explains why I couldn't find my drives via shell. I tried to look through dmesg for anything regarding unmounting the volumes, drives, ect, but didn't see anything (but I'm kinda noob to this stuff). I guess they moved security into DSM itself, rather than just the kernel.

Hopefully someone figures out a work around.

DSM changes file attributes

fstab 

chmod + x

chmod 777 /etc/fstab

do not help

even though the file is there, but the

ls-l  /etc/fstab 

it says that there is no such file or directory,

once I managed to run a script

cat > /etc/fstab << "EOF"
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/root / ext4 defaults 1 1
/dev/vg1/volume_1/volume1 ext4 usrjquota.usr,grpjquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,synoacl 0 0

the last lines of your original file to update

(I have only one third line as one partition (HDD), your should be different)

Now after restarting the script does not work ...

that it does not allow him to work

do not worry! all your data remain on the disk!

Only discs can not be mounted

Because upgrade cause disks not see solution is to downgrade

Run Gnoboot.me ... and tag 4452 upgrade ...

With Windows Synology Assistant reinstall old version 4452.pat

Your server run after downgrade as before no problems

PC

i used ultraedit

I appreciate the response, assuming you were responding to me, but you didn't actually answer my question. As I stated, I know how to perform the action of editing the files, I just don't know where they are located or how to get to them.

You should mount the gnoboot volume to the system, then use vi command to edit the menu_me.lst file.

mkdir /gnoboot
mount /dev/gnoboot1 /gnoboot
cd /gnoboot/boot/grub
ls

Thanks for the great work.

Just FYI:

I tried upgrading my system from 4458 to 4482 using jasonhan's guide. It keeped my Volume, shares and users, but unmounted all disks, the wired thing was that I could still write to the shares. The volume and data was there, but in DSM GUI, there was no disks, wired.

I then went back to 4458 update 2, no problem.

Hopefully gnoboot can figure it out.

If you don't login WebUI, it will not trigger the unmount action. So everything looks fine.

sebj, you're off topic my friend

Indeed, sorry, probably dislexic of me, I read 4458, not 4482

That being said, if this is really a security mesure, gotta hand it to them for the time being.

Knocking out storage volumes is the most nullifying thing you can do to a NAS...

Thanks for the great work.

Just FYI:

I tried upgrading my system from 4458 to 4482 using jasonhan's guide. It keeped my Volume, shares and users, but unmounted all disks, the wired thing was that I could still write to the shares. The volume and data was there, but in DSM GUI, there was no disks, wired.

I then went back to 4458 update 2, no problem.

Hopefully gnoboot can figure it out.

If you don't login WebUI, it will not trigger the unmount action. So everything looks fine.

Is there any way to figure out which process, app, is causing it at login? Maybe we can just replace it with previous build.. but I doubt it would be that easy.

FUCK SYnology!. damnit I dont have a screen to see what goes on with my gnoboot.. i just boot it from usb and thats it.. i dont have the luxury of a vga monitor.. So i cant see anything going on and if its going to unmount my shit then fuck this update. right when i thought everything was ok.. its not.. bastard updates and risks.

There is a simple solution. BUY an actual Synology NAS.

Absent of that, be thankful for the hard work that people like gnoBoot and Trantor put in to bring the synology platform to the rest of us. And yes there may be some speed bumps along the way, but lets get real... Synology owes us NOTHING as we haven't supported them through purchasing their product.

Would I like the newest/latest/greatest update - sure.. but i don't feel ENTITLED to it.

FUCK SYnology!. damnit I dont have a screen to see what goes on with my gnoboot.. i just boot it from usb and thats it.. i dont have the luxury of a vga monitor.. So i cant see anything going on and if its going to unmount my shit then fuck this update. right when i thought everything was ok.. its not.. bastard updates and risks.

Synology doesn't owe you anything & no one is forcing you to update. Just be glad that the previous version is working thanks to Gnoboot & Trantor.

If you want a hassle free experience buy a real Synology!

so completely new installation with gnoboot 10.5 and 4482 does work?

Its a bit of work to backup the data and fill the nas afterwards, but can be done if the above is a workaround...

It takes a lot less work to actually read the thread :razz:

I did read the whole thread, no one posted anything on trying this as a fresh install. Everyone is trying to upgrade from 4452 version. But ya, I guess it was worth it to post a comment to read the thread. Cause we don't ask questions here, we are only reading...

Hi there,

I've tried of a fresh new install and this is the same problem. I think that it comes from sata/sas/ide drivers included in gnoboot that does not show hardware as the 4482 need them to be.

/dev/ does not have any "sd" or "hd" device, this could mean that the post init script that does build hard disks does not communicate correctly with the gnoboot kernel.

C.G.

Synology doesn't owe you anything & no one is forcing you to update. Just be glad that the previous version is working thanks to Gnoboot & Trantor.

I own a real synology! duhh.. but i built one with more storage and bays, however if its going to be unsecured then thats a big problem. I am greatful, but knowing my data is at risk isnt cool, henceforth why i say fuck synology for releasing updates like microsoft every TUESDAY!..

I own a real synology! duhh.. but i built one with more storage and bays, however if its going to be unsecured then thats a big problem. I am greatful, but knowing my data is at risk isnt cool, henceforth why i say fuck synology for releasing updates like microsoft every TUESDAY!..

What does Synology have to do with the recent CVE's they fixed in 4482? They rely on several open source packages like SMB, curl, etc that they don't even work on. Be thankful they incorporate the fixes so quickly. I wouldn't lump them in with microsoft that has a web browser they haven't fixed.

The CVE's are:

Fixed a security issue of Windows File Service to prevent remote attackers from obtaining access. (CVE-2013-4496)

Fixed several security issues related to cURL. (CVE-2014-0139, CVE-2014-0015, CVE-2013-6422)

You go fxxk synology if you lost your data on your real synology. Not the one you build.