XPEnology Community

Hardware or sofware RAID - NUC

darekd

Question

I have NUC that is not doing anything so I'd like to install Xpenology on it. I also have Mediasonic with hardware raid support. Should I let Mediasonic handle RAID or have DSM do it? I'd like to run RAID5. The enclosure will be connected to NUC using USB3.

2 answers to this question

I doubt that the loader/DSM will recognize the controller. I would also stay with soft RAID whenever possible. The usual low-end controllers have no benefits. There are several drawbacks compared to soft RAID:

- DSM will not be able to detect failing drives

- if your controller dies you’ll have to find and buy a compatible spare part to regain access to the RAID

- you’ll have no speed advantages

A soft RAID can be mounted in any other Linux system in case of failure. Unless you‘re not playing around with large ssd arrays including an adequate controller (like Avago‘s 9361-8i for example) you‘re doing yourself not a favor. Just my 2 cents.

20 hours ago, jensmander said:

I doubt that the loader/DSM will recognize the controller. I would also stay with soft RAID whenever possible. The usual low-end controllers have no benefits. There are several drawbacks compared to soft RAID:

- DSM will not be able to detect failing drives

- if your controller dies you’ll have to find and buy a compatible spare part to regain access to the RAID

- you’ll have no speed advantages

A soft RAID can be mounted in any other Linux system in case of failure. Unless you‘re not playing around with large ssd arrays including an adequate controller (like Avago‘s 9361-8i for example) you‘re doing yourself not a favor. Just my 2 cents.

My hardware RAID is an enclosure conected to my NUC by USB. So there is no RAID controller involved.