XPEnology Community

Migration from Nas4Free

bombai

Hi guys..

I like to try with this wonderul OS but I have some doubts..

I have 4 bays on my N54L microserver running Nas4Free, and i have 2 HDD in raid0 and 2 in raid1, and the OS running from internal usb port.

Firs of all, i want to know if its possible the same way, install OS on usb to can use all the HDD capacity.

And then, i like to know if I can import the 2 raids that i have created without data loss.

Many thanks.

Hi guys..

I like to try with this wonderul OS but I have some doubts..

I have 4 bays on my N54L microserver running Nas4Free, and i have 2 HDD in raid0 and 2 in raid1, and the OS running from internal usb port.

Firs of all, i want to know if its possible the same way, install OS on usb to can use all the HDD capacity.

With Xpenology (Synology) the OS/DSM is stored on a partition of each drive installed. You need a usb drive as a boot loader to allow the system to pass the hardware check etc. After the system has booted the data on the USB drive is redundant until the next time you boot the machine up. You can simply eject it from the DSM to help prevent damaging it.

And then, i like to know if I can import the 2 raids that i have created without data loss.

Many thanks.

I have no first hand knowledge of your migration path but I would think it's highly unlikely that you will be able to import the volumes you have created under Nas4free. The drives will need to be partitioned and formatted in order to function as Xopenology drives. It would probably be best to get two drives to run some test to see if you want to make the leap over to Xpenology (you probably will imho). Another option would be to use an ESXi build that will allow you to run multiple OS's one of which would be Xpenology and another could be Nas4Free. You would need some new drives to configure that without losing data. That way you could still access your Nas4Free volumes on your microserver.

With Xpenology (Synology) the OS/DSM is stored on a partition of each drive installed. You need a usb drive as a boot loader to allow the system to pass the hardware check etc. After the system has booted the data on the USB drive is redundant until the next time you boot the machine up. You can simply eject it from the DSM to help prevent damaging it.

Ok, I dont know DSM needs a partition of each drive, this is at installation time, because if you add some drive more after, it uses the same partition when added?

I have no first hand knowledge of your migration path but I would think it's highly unlikely that you will be able to import the volumes you have created under Nas4free. The drives will need to be partitioned and formatted in order to function as Xopenology drives. It would probably be best to get two drives to run some test to see if you want to make the leap over to Xpenology (you probably will imho). Another option would be to use an ESXi build that will allow you to run multiple OS's one of which would be Xpenology and another could be Nas4Free. You would need some new drives to configure that without losing data. That way you could still access your Nas4Free volumes on your microserver.

Ok, I think DSM can work with a raid0 or raid1 created on linux, but you tells me that all drives needs to be formatted. :sad: I will use the raid1 (only have to backup 100GB of 1TB on the another raid) and i will use this two drives to do some tests. I like this idea to can choose OS as grub/burg in linux to can work with both.

I will let you know the results.

Many thanks!

I have installed successfully XPEnology. I format my old raid1 as a new raid1 in XPE. But someone knows how can import without loss data from my old raid0? I cant format it and I havent more drives to backup the data first.

Any idea?

Many thanks.

Ok, I have been searching about my own bootstrap, but I am not sure what is my .sh to can install it properly.

NasDSM> cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 16
model           : 6
model name      : AMD Turion(tm) II Neo N54L Dual-Core Processor
stepping        : 3
microcode       : 0x10000c8
cpu MHz         : 2196.297
cache size      : 1024 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 2
apicid          : 0
initial apicid  : 0
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 5
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc extd_apicid pni monitor cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt nodeid_msr npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save
bogomips        : 4392.59
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes   : 48 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps hwpstate

And I cant find here

http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.ph ... stall_ipkg

Any help to can identificate my script?

Many thanks again.

You are using as 99% of this forum, an x86 processor meaning that you will need to use:

For Intel Atom CPU's: D410, D425, D510, D525 and D2700 Processors http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optwa ... 7_i686.xsh which uses http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optwa ... /unstable/ as its feed.

Here's a how to bootstrap a syno box (but for an ARM proc)

http://www.ingmarverheij.com/how-to-install-ipkg-on-synology-nas-ds212/